JAMIE'S RANDOM UK RAILWAY PICTURES

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, doilum said:

" The Leeds, Castleford & Pontefract Junction Railway : The Ledston Branch." 

A good companion to " Castleford Colliery Railways".

On 21/05/2020 at 21:45, jamie92208 said:

It's title is , I think, The Leeds and Pontefract junction railway.  I bought a copy last time I was over as my daughter now lives on the old pit site at Allerton Bywater and walks our granddaughter along 'The Lines' as they are known. I'll have a look tomorrow and put the details on here.

Jamie

Thanks.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

The 56 is probably on fly-ash, empties from Fletton (Peterborough) if heading north.

I always aspired to an OM1, but ended up with an OM20 after trading in my Zenit....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

The first two are actually at Peterborough Jamie.

Mike.

Thanks for that Mike, I'll edit it and now I can index it properly. 

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Good evening again.  Some more from the archives.  The next few were the reason that I was standing in the triangle at Holbeck.  First the new order on the East Coast Main line appeared.

535451238_Film1979-5019.jpg.a7a7c8af0fc0fcc3bf88e47b8f83b4c5.jpg

Then this started to emerge from the station.

1026540637_Film1979-5021.jpg.e38a1e72cbcefcfdbce13cbb1691fda2.jpg

It was my old friend 5305

626506865_Film1979-5022.jpg.0f5790dc188b1b479c932f2cd020c0b3.jpg

Closely followed by a syncopated beat of Sir Nigel.

1322500037_Film1979-5024.jpg.805912d40ef31d8b2d82ff49eda8c093.jpg

That seems to be about the only railway photos I took in this period but we went on a canal holiday with my brother in law and his wife on a narrow boat down the Oxford Canal.  We got as far as Upper Heyford and this woke us up that morning.

348930533_Film1979-8009.jpg.f2bfc1d1a303f6f0fa80ec0ed1237118.jpg

Yes an F-111 or Aardvark. Noisy things but good alarm clocks.

The holiday was quite amusing.  Both the girls were 3 months pregnant so obviously couldn't do the heavy work doing the locks so they spent much of the holiday steering the boat.  This nearly caused many other boaters to forget their steering.  I don't think, in those unenlightened days, that we saw another boat steered by a woman.

Anyway It's goodnight from me.

Jamie

• Like 16

I love the one with the 47 on TP train, going away from you (near Armley gyratory).

It brings back the time i was on a No11 bus,  when a toddler with her mother, shouted out,

Look mummy there`s that castle, where my Daddy lives.

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Ray M said:

I love the one with the 47 on TP train, going away from you (near Armley gyratory).

It brings back the time i was on a No11 bus,  when a toddler with her mother, shouted out,

Look mummy there`s that castle, where my Daddy lives.

Aren't kids brilliant. It was known as The Big House. We used to reckon that at least 95% of the occupants were there because they upset a woman.

Jamie

• Like 3

15 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

348930533_Film1979-8009.jpg.f2bfc1d1a303f6f0fa80ec0ed1237118.jpg

Yes an F-111 or Aardvark. Noisy things but good alarm clocks.

Yes, very noisy especially if you are stood near the runway.

Back in the 80s and early 90s I worked at RAF Lakenheath when F111s were stationed there.  One of my jobs was to remeasure the Southern Loop Taxiway which was being resurfaced including the two arm/disarm pads , one at the 24 end, the other at the 06 end (the runway is aligned on a 60 degree/240 degree axis).   We often had to dodge around the F111s but the worst bit was at each end next to the runway.  You had to put your figures in your ears when the planes were taking off but it still felt that your teeth rattled!  Of course nowadays we would be given ear defenders but not then.  We also had to measure up to the runway itself whilst it was in use so we contacted the base to see when would be convenient.  We were told that there would be a "flight window" between 12.00 and 12.30 p.m. so well before time we all turned up.  Was there a "flight window"?  Was there Hell!  One of us had to sit by the phone to the control tower and they would ring us when a plane was due to land at which point we had to scarper clear of the runway (this was before the days of mobiles).  There were also plenty of F111s taking off but we could see them coming down the taxiway.  What should have taken us half an hour took us all afternoon.

Chris Turnbull

Edited by Chris Turnbull
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Yes, very noisy especially if you are stood near the runway.

Not as noisy as a B1-B though.

Around that time I remember seeing an F111 at an air show. This one was flown by the Australian Air Force, and as a party trick would do a fly past dumping fuel and lighting it with a quick flick of the afterburners, leaving a flaming trail in the sky behind it. Probably wouldn't be allowed these days.....

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Davexoc said:

Not as noisy as a B1-B though.

That's true.  I had experience of those at Ellsworth AFB in South Dakota.  Our son-in-law was stationed there some years ago and we would visit our grandchildren at least once a year.

Chris Turnbull

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

And finally Waterloo and a 33.

324920285_Slides1978-1013.jpg.e0722c78e307cf629bb39f7a56bb71ca.jpg

Just been running 33105 (albiet in OO with the later white widow surrounds) in the shed. Brings back many a happy memory at Waterloo, stations to Salisbury and Exeter

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Great shots of Old Oak Common, I am guessing that was a Sunday before 1400hrs?? The clocks on the running shed aren't reading the same time....

I recognise a Dolomite Sprint at the back of The Factory, which would mean old man Wiggin's shift were in, as I'm sure it hadn't been passed on to one of his boys at that time.

The 50s were fairly recent arrivals as they don't carry names yet, and thats alot of Gronks around the table.

Edited by Davexoc
typo correction
  • Like 4

May I ask what you use to scan your slides?  Your results look pretty good to me.  I have an old slide scanner which while very slow produced very good results but it only had a SCSI interface.  I have not been able to use it with either of my last two computers and SCSI interfaces are virtually non-existant nowadays, at least as far as laptops are concerned.

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Davexoc said:

Great shots of Old Oak Common, I am guessing that was a Sunday before 1400hrs?? The clocks on the running shed aren't reading the same time....

I recognise a Dolomite Sprint at the back of The Factory, which would mean old man Wiggin's shift were in, as I'm sure it hadn't been past on to one of his boys at that time.

The 50s were fairly recent arrivals as they don't carry names yet, and thats alot of Gronks around the table.

Thanks for that Dave.   I'm fairly certain that it was a Saturday as we needed a full train service to make things work.  There used to be an intinerary in the Ian Alan Locoshed book that showed how to get between the sheds.  From memory we used a combination of bus, tube and train.  I remember doing the escalators at Kings Cross.  I adult went first and counted the boys off, I counted them on at the top then went down last. Long before Brian Hanrahan's famous bit of commentary about Harriers.

8 hours ago, Adam88 said:

May I ask what you use to scan your slides?  Your results look pretty good to me.  I have an old slide scanner which while very slow produced very good results but it only had a SCSI interface.  I have not been able to use it with either of my last two computers and SCSI interfaces are virtually non-existant nowadays, at least as far as laptops are concerned.

Hi Adam.  It was a present to myself before we left the UK in 2018.  An Epson Perfection 800, but I'll check later. It is a flat bed scanner, with and A4 bed, that can do both film and prints and more importantly comes with a set of masks for slides, 35mm film, medium format film and one other that I can't remember at the moment (It's over in the shed) .  I bought extra masks for the 35mm film and slides so that once I've set up a scan it works away whilst I change over the slides/film in the other mask.   I am very impressed with it.  It's a USB connection to my laptop.  It does have various automatic options like colour correction and backlight correction but they can get confused.  I'm gradually learning what sort of photos to leave to automatic and which to correct manually.  It doesn't do too well if, for instance there is a bright sky or water feature on one side of the slide/negative.  Those I'm finding are better done manually in ACDsee.  It's trial and terror.

Thanks for the interest.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5