Ross' N Gauge Workbench - "Magical Mystery Train Tour"

• 2 weeks later...

Since I broke my 3D printer's resin vat, the replacement hasn't quite worked right and my prints haven't been coming out reliably.   I'm working the issues, but it is taking time to find another sweet spot.

Although the back half of the bogie didn't print properly, the front half did, so I can confirm that the latest coupling & NEM pocket designs appear to have resolved all my final design issues for the Gresley RTS project!  :D

So as soon as the thin spring material for the coupling arrives from China, and I can persuade my Photon to cooperate, the designs for all the plastic parts for this RTS kit appear to be ready to go out for beta testing!   Woo hoo! :dancer:

Somewhat related to my first point above, I decided to plunk down for a new 3D printer for my upcoming birthday next month :) As part of the deal I get a free bottle of resin for anyone who also buys one on my recommendation, so please excuse my gratuitous plug that follows!

I'm getting a Phrozen Sonic Mini 4K.

spacer.png

It features a larger 6.1" screen (135 x 75mm) compared to my Anycubic Photon's 5.5" screen (115 x 65mm) - which will finally allow me to print single-piece N gauge Mk1 coaches on the flat print bed (well, sans the coach connectors which I just have to make as separate pieces).   Additionally it looks like it will be able to operate at around 4x the speed of my Photon too, using their own (cheaper) gray coloured resin, which will allow me to print a lot more test parts, which has been the major delay factor in this RTS development project.   And the screen is suppose to last 2,000 hours instead of just 400.   All in all, I'm hoping it will deliver some serious improvements - at least until I build my own 17" version (yes, that's another project I'm working on).

Oh, and it has an X-Y pixel resolution of 722 PPI compared to my Photon's 534 PPI, so it's 35% better horizontal resolution, with the Z axis having 5x better resolution with as little as 0.01mm layer heights.

They have a special offer right now as this printer is brand new and will only start shipping in late September:   The first 1,000 customers can pre-order it with this special offer pricing.

The offer is to get it for US$299, which is $30 below normal, and for just $1 extra they supply it with 1kg of resin (worth $29.99) and a spare FEP film (worth $20) too.   Oh, and they're doing a special half-price shipping cost until the end of the month for any of their printers, at just $29.99.

Obviously, UK pricing will be a bit different, but I understand the offer is for all customers both inside and outside of Taiwan, Phrozen's country of origin.

Feel free to take a look for yourself, and if you do decide to buy it please use my link below so I get a bottle of free resin!

Let me say thank you in advance to anyone who does! :)

http://phrozen3dp.refr.cc/rosstierney

I hereby return you to your previously scheduled programming...

Ross.

Edited by RBTKraisee
  • Like 4

On 23/08/2020 at 03:52, davidw said:

Would you consider making these in 4MMS scale?

David, yes, I've been considering 4mm versions.   The design is actually done in 1:1 full scale to match the original drawings as perfectly as possible, so I can re-scale them to just about any scale.

In 1:76.2 scale the restaurant coaches (the longest single part in the kit) will be about 225mm long.   I don't personally have a 3d printer large enough to print that as a single part, but perhaps someone like Shapeways could print it with sufficient resolution.   I'll have to check in with them to find out what their limitations are.   Watch this space, and if you don't hear anything from me for a month, please don't allow me to forget!!

Ross.

• Thanks 1

Yikes.   I just tried uploading a single restaurant coach body to Shapeways to get an idea of their OO gauge/4mm pricing.   US$110 (£84) for Fine Detail Plastic.   $182 (£139) for SLA plastic.   Given that this kit will require 6 different parts of that approximate size, plus a batch of smaller bits too, I don't think this is going to be an affordable option for most OO/4mm scale modellers.

I haven't currently got the spare cash to consider buying a large hi-res 3D printer - to get one the size I'd need for this (225mm long coach bodies will require an LCD screen at least 9.1" across) would cost at least £2K for a cheap one shipped direct from China, probably more like double that for a good one.

I have started working to build my own home-built 8.9" 3D printer, which would cost a lot less, but I just looked and I won't be able to squeeze this design into it - I'd need a minimum 10.1" screen and I have yet to find anything that would be suitable.

The only other solution would be to print each of the coaches in two parts - front and rear.   Designing an attachment and hiding the seam would be the trick there.   I'll have to experiment to see what results I can come up with, but I want to get the N gauge versions shipped first, so please give me time.

Ross.

Edited by RBTKraisee
  • Thanks 1

Just a brief follow-up - I spent a few hours last night (while waiting for a Delta-IV launch that never happened) trying to find a suitable screen and I managed to do so!   I've now baselined my home-grown 3D printer project to use a 10.1" screen.   I expect it will take me MONTHS to develop this, and will still cost me the better part of £900 (ouch!) and I will state for the record that it isn't a very high priority project right now, but I can, at least, see a technical solution on the horizon and gradual work is hauling me in that direction.

Ross.

Edited by RBTKraisee
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have been slacking in terms of posting updates here recently, apologies to everyone!

I've got a number of projects all spinning at present so let me provide a run-down and status for each:

1.   The Gresley LNER Teak Restaurant Triplet Set (RTS) in N Gauge:   This is finally into Beta testing!!   This week I posted the first two kits to Steve (Atso on here) and Alan (from another board).   Both packages are winging their way from Florida to the UK as I write this.   Once they arrive they're going to put the kits through their paces and hopefully their testing will reveal everything I've messed up and still need to fix :) I'm hoping to have everything ready to go to start taking actual orders from customers around mid-October.   My current plan is to charge about US$80 (£62-ish) per set, plus $15 (~£12) S&H to the UK.

On a related topic, I've also been working on the ESU DCC controlled lighting kit for this too and should have something to show on that front in the next few weeks!

IMG_0290.JPG.096c4953169f11fbdac5e40e8afc4cf0.JPG

2. N Gauge Third/Fourth Rail Chairs:   I was approached to build some Third Rail Chairs for a couple of N Gauge modellers.   I've done a couple of iterations now and I think a slight overscale of ~20% seems to be a good trade between accuracy and actually being able to see the darned things without having to use a magnifying glass!

They are designed to fit any Code 40 rails (such as Micro Engineering), although I will strongly recommend using a rail bender (here's a great low cost way to build one for yourself) to pre-bend all curved rails as the plastic chairs are not very strong and you don't want to use them to stop a tensioned piece of straight track from springing back into shape.

Prototypical spacing tends to be around 1 every 6th to 8th sleeper, so a rough guide is to assume one for every inch (or 25mm) of track you want to replicate the Third Rails on and that will get you in the ball-park.   Mind, I tend to include a few spares too, just in case any get damaged in transit.

They would also work equally well for Fourth Rail too, for anyone interested.

I've got two versions; one for flat sleepers like Peco Code 55 wooden sleepers, and another with an angled base that fits sloped sleepers like Peco Code 55 Concrete sleepers.

Prices are £5 for a pack of 100 chairs (12 for 10 offer too), and all but the largest orders will be covered by £5 S&H from Florida to the UK.

IMG_0269.JPG.69bc9bb22a9529535f3da225501fff77.JPGIMG_0279.JPG.43da1365683058e608042fc30bf71986.JPG

73c will enjoy this one :yahoo:

3. Travelling Post Office (TPO) - Sorting Van (POS) with Working Net in N Gauge:   I have a few bits and pieces now including a coach body, working doors and a prototype for the mechanism that opens the doors lowers the bag delivery arms, and extends a net out from the side of the coach, all driven by a single tiny linear motor that has a 9mm throw on it.

The mech is still very early stage and getting the timing right for all the different elements is proving to be really tricky.   Right now I'm trying to figure out if it is feasible to open the doors first to allow the delivery arms to come into close contact with 'bags' inside the coach.   With a set of magnets in the arms and the bags, I'm trying to have the door open to allow the bag and arm to then come into contact before it then lowers the bag out the side of the coach in the correct orientation.   It's a really complex bit of engineering, but *IF* I can pull it off, its going to be an awesome feature to include.   But no guarantees yet, I still haven't got it working properly!!

ETA for this project is entirely dependent on my job workload - and working for a startup they work you pretty hard - so its going to be no earlier than Xmas, maybe into the New Year before this will be up to a good enough standard to show off.

IMG_0251.JPG.1dbc5c33f66d6657e21a243c815fd8b2.JPGIMG_0252.JPG.b88a9d0776bcc6da5c2f0a1ae7c359d7.JPGIMG_0254.JPG.f0be7df65b05f88171f8ceff2af00ceb.JPG

4. King's Cross Railway Station:   Yes, Mike will be pleased to hear that I'm finally back to working on the big beast again!

Firstly I've been taking a look at the Clock Tower on the front of the main shed, and working out how to make the clocks work.   I've found some tiny quartz watch movements measuring just 14x18x3mm at Walmart for just a few bucks and these are going to drop in perfectly into the 3D printed parts.   Right now I'm working on how to be able to turn the knob on the side to set the time.   The tower appears to be just big enough for a finger to go in, but I think it's going to be easier to have it simply split into two along one of the obvious seam locations and have easier access that way!

I've also been looking at the issue of platforms.   I'm going to 3D print a series of edgings and cross-members that will establish the correct distances apart, and then fill the gap in between with plaster.   I want to submerge a series of smaller pieces of foam under the plaster too, to make the whole thing lighter.   I don't want to do a single long piece of foam, because foam shrinks with age, so a series of much smaller pieces, maybe each only 8"/20cm long, should suffer only minimal shrinkage and shouldn't cause any real issues over many years of service.   The next question once this is settled is how to place the parts of the KX structure accurately on top of the platforms.   I want the walls to be dead-straight for every build - it won't look good weaving around.   The thought does occur to me to embed a structure into the platform, but that might be overkill and simpler options, like a paper template with drilled holes into the plaster platforms at pre-determined distances for each of the major structural columns, might be better in the end.   This topic is still very-much TBD.

I don't have much in the way of update photo's for this project yet, but should have, soon.

spacer.png

IMG_0292.JPG.652b0b36210232e62f344d932891c429.JPGIMG_0293.JPG.feab6ca02e0cff4b5dd2922f35a9e081.JPG

I have a few other projects in various stages, which are on the back burner right now too:

- 3D printed sleeper bases for custom-build track - Initial rough prototypes built and working.

- Travelling Post Office - Stowage Van (POT) - Researching drawings.
- Other Gresley Coaches, Full Rake 1928 Flying Scotsman, 1939 Updates, Dynamometer Car - Researching drawings.
- Silver Jubilee - Full Rake - Researching drawings.
- Coronation - Full Rake - Researching drawings.
- Streamlined (Princess) Coronation Class Re-body for Farish Chassis - Researching drawings & need to get a Farish chassis too!

- Polar Express Coaches (for personal use, not going to be a kit) - Researching drawings - ETA Christmas 2020.
- Hogwarts Express Hall Repaint & Plate Etches - Still building up the nerve to take an airbrush to a brand new loco!
- Hogwarts Castle Model - Research essentially complete.   Main tower ~80% designed.   No other structures started yet.

- Magical Mystery Train Tour - On hold until Covid19 situation becomes clearer.
- Large SLA 3D Printer - Research essentially complete.   Need US$2000 funding.

- Next Gen. Enterprise NCC-1701-D Desk Model - Research essentially complete.   Design: ~55% completed.

And my train collection continues to slowly grow.   I've now got a "Cranmore Hall" which will be repainted Red and will soon bear a particularly famous name, an A10 "Flying Scotsman" in wartime black, a garter blue "Mallard", an A1 "Tornado" and a Class 33 "Eastleigh", a bunch of different coaches and I've got my name down for three Pendolino's from the next batch.   At some point I really do need to start building a layout...

Ross.

IMG_0290m.jpg

Edited by RBTKraisee
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, RBTKraisee said:

Hogwarts Castle Model - Research essentially complete.   Main tower ~80% designed.   No other structures started yet.

Have you considered the Wrebbit 3D Hogwarts Castle? I’m using that for my model. Comes as 2 seperate parts, the Great Hall section, and the Astronomy Tower section. 

2FCA72A0-3734-4C3E-8730-744DA16EF739.jpeg

193AB86B-FE47-46CE-A314-25D1ED1EE88D.jpeg

• Like 2

I like it!   That size would fit my room here at home perfectly :)

But I still want a full N gauge version of the castle which will be massive - based on the original 1:24 scale model at Warner Bros/Leavesden an N gauge model should be roughly 2.4x2.4m footprint, standing 1.2m tall.   That's assuming I model the full castle perimeter, the boathouse, the owlery, the wooden bridge, the standing stones and the pathway down to Hagrid's hut.

I want to add lots of little details like a swinging pendulum in the hallway, moving staircases, an operating clock in the clock tower, a flotilla of little boats crossing the water, horseless carriages heading up/down the hill etc.   And I want to model the village of Hogsmead, the railway station and a quidditch match going on too!   Ambitious?   Nah! ;)

Ross.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, RBTKraisee said:

I like it!   That size would fit my room here at home perfectly :)

But I still want a full N gauge version of the castle which will be massive - based on the original 1:24 scale model at Warner Bros/Leavesden an N gauge model should be roughly 2.4x2.4m footprint, standing 1.2m tall.   That's assuming I model the full castle perimeter, the boathouse, the owlery, the wooden bridge, the standing stones and the pathway down to Hagrid's hut.

I want to add lots of little details like a swinging pendulum in the hallway, moving staircases, an operating clock in the clock tower, a flotilla of little boats crossing the water, horseless carriages heading up/down the hill etc.   And I want to model the village of Hogsmead, the railway station and a quidditch match going on too!   Ambitious?   Nah! ;)

Ross.

Crikey mate. Kings Cross, Hogsmeade, a full scale castle and grounds. Do you have a spare £50,000? 

On 10/09/2020 at 13:10, Hilux5972 said:

Crikey mate. Kings Cross, Hogsmeade, a full scale castle and grounds. Do you have a spare £50,000? 

Nah, I'm Mr. Shoestring Budget, me ;)

I can print things cheaply with my 3D printer - the real "cost" is my time.   The RTS kits have taken about 500 hours so far.   Based on that, I'd say King's Cross is shaping up to be a 1,500-2,000 hour project.   Hogwarts will probably be about the same, I reckon.   If only I could bill those hours out, then I'd be seriously rolling in it :)

While I'm an aerospace engineering exec. and I could be pulling down a decent salary, I've spent the last 18 months working for a new startup doing something original and needed in the industry, but that means most of my compensation has been sweat equity and not a lot in the way of "beer tokens".   If the company grows the way we think it will, then in a few year's time I'll have enough to fund my own Minatur Wunderland here in Orlando - and then I might actually have a place to put all of these massive model projects that doesn't drive SWMBO crazy!

Ross.

Edited by RBTKraisee
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Wow, it has been a really long time since I posted anything to this thread.   I took a hiatus for about half a year, mainly due to excessive work, but having successfully delivered the satellite we were building on time and on budget, you'll all be glad to hear that for the last few weeks I've been working feverishly on all these model projects again!

I've done an absolute TON of trackside accessories including lighted signals, lighted theatre indicators, lighted buffers, lighted shunting signals, town light and electricity poles, platform edges, various diesel refuelling bits, signs, benches, bike racks, various fences, armco, various width cable troughs, AWS ramps, TPWS grids, anti-trespass panels, dummy point motors, steam engine water posts, various feeder pillars and fuse boxes, loading gauges, round and rectangular manhole covers, running lamps (man are they small!), transformers and a number of different cargo's for wagons.   I've also started designing some tankers and wagons too.

The Gresley Teak Restaurant Triplet Set (RTS) is essentially finished now!   It required nearly a complete re-draw to fix a bowing issue I had with the sides of the coaches, but that's now done and I'm starting to arrange orders so people can get them shipped from Florida to the UK in time for Xmas.   I'll try to post some nice pictures of the kit here in the next day or two.    I'm pricing the kit at US$ 80.00 plus shipping, which to the UK is currently US$ 15.25.   That totals about GB£ 70.56 delivered.   If interested, you can leave a message here, send me a private message on the forum or email me at:   rbtkraisee [- a t -] gmail [- d o t -]) com.

IMG_0357.JPG.394fa4954218fc7774ff7bbe17598129.JPG

The Travelling Post Office (TPO) coach project with the working net has been paused for a bit, but the Mk1 coach it is based on has been turned into a Mk1 SK/CK instead.   This is the first variant completed on the path to help me build an accurate Hogwarts Express for static display purposes.   I'm printing my own Hall loco and carriages because the display will be left unguarded for weeks at a time in our local clubhouse and if some light fingered tea-leaf were to walk off with it, I don't want them getting ~£400 worth of gear - which is how much the full train would cost me including postage from the UK.   And now I have a working Mk1 to use as a template for any other Mk1 projects I wish to do - including the TPO.   You can see the finished Mk1 SK/CK coach in the background of the picture above, but here it is broken out into its individual pieces.

IMG_0315.JPG.72ffac4ecdc78678f300181c08c1d4f5.JPGIMG_0314.JPG.7209fe491a9e2b7173da78cf2f5e581a.JPG

As you can see, the Hall loco for the static display looks quite cool :)   It isn't powered, but the wheels and rods do all work!

This is now leading me towards my next project, which is to build a working GWR 1000 Class County locomotive, to be based on a Dapol Hall running gear.

I have then been asked to start looking at some Southern projects, which are apparently not served all that well by the big N gauge producers.   The first of these looks like it will be an LSWR N15 King Arthur Class.   Not yet sure which running gear to base this on, but if I can find a Farish Duchess chassis somewhere (easier said than done when you're >3,000 miles away from the UK) I think that might be a good place to start.

So that's where I am right now.   Looking forward to getting reacquainted with the gang here!

Cheers,

Ross.

Edited by RBTKraisee
  • Like 3

Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm still working on my King's Cross model.   Mike will be happy to hear that :)

I've been doing work on the roof elements of the main shed, the glazing areas are very complex and include a lot of intricate details that have to be slightly re-scaled in N, or they'll be too small to keep their structural integrity.

All of the elements together help reinforce each other and should make for a pretty sturdy structure - even though no single element is more than about 6 inches long, due to my current printer's limitations.   My next printer (in work) has a much greater build area and I'll be able to make much bigger elements :)

Photo's will follow soon, but getting the RTS kit out to people in time to arrive before Xmas is my current priority.

Ross.

There's a lot been going on since I was last hangin' out here :)   Kirtlypete is doing incredible work scratch building there, thanks for the recommendation!

As for me, I'm putting the RTS kits together this weekend and I'm aiming to start shipping the first units on Monday.

I've also started and made quite a bit of progress on the GWR Class 1000 "County" model, initially designed to go on Dapol Hall running gear, but possibly I'll also do a version for GF Black 5 (Bachmann) gear too.   There's still a bit more to do, but good progress so far. (Ignore the name & number boards, these are just a fitment article).

Ross.

1394692050_PartCountyLocomotive211113A.JPG.a0b7967a3b2f6d46037efebaae23bfda.JPG

Edited by RBTKraisee

Work has piled on again for the next few days, so things are going a bit slow here.

However, thanks to a big Southern fan I've managed to collect just about enough reference material to start designing a Urie N15 "King Arthur" class, to go on either a GF Jubilee chassis (more accurate) or a GF Black 5 (easier to source).   Obviously I'll finish the County first, but this is shaping up to be my next project.

I'm planning to do both a 6 wheel tender and also the double-bogie 8 wheel Maunsell tenders that were so distinctive to this family of loco's.

Ross.

Nine_Elms_Locomotive_Depot_SR_'King_Arth

Edited by RBTKraisee

WOO HOO!   My very first N Gauge Gresley Teak RTS kits are away!:yahoo:

It'll take an estimated 11-20 days to reach the UK from Florida, but the first customers should receive them in plenty of time for Xmas!

More will go out tomorrow and more on Monday too.

Ross.

20211117_112352.jpg.312ce5c77e83d9ec11a945cba4e5c545.jpg

Edited by RBTKraisee
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

Some updates on the County. Thanks to Atso on here, together with some well informed feedback during a Zoom chat earlier in the week I've greatly improved the brake lever linkage behind the right hand nameboard, corrected the ejector pipe, added the tanks just in front of the steps and added the newer design of chimney too, so I can model either of the two dual chimneys now - I might even add the single at some point too.   A few other minor tweaks have been included in various places.   Oh, and I've improved the support method for printing it, which is shown here.

I think its just about finished now.

Ross.

1019942008_PartChimneyLaterDualDesign.JPG.744148781cd7af43cc628d2b3f857e46.JPG1324833628_PartChimney1000Original.JPG.f919367515b849034448d12cb8d52f7d.JPG1857045545_PartCountyLocomotive211119B.JPG.061a41b82bf83c748e8b49575ef8c3b1.JPG561855845_PartCountyLocomotive211119A.JPG.697f973a2a1b26801aec33c48bec646e.JPG

Edited by RBTKraisee

I never posted any pics here, of a whole pile of different N gauge trackside infrastructure elements I worked on at the end of the summer:

AWS ramps, TPWS grids, Cable troughs (3 different sizes), Catch pits, Manhole covers (3 different types), Anti-trespass panels, Platform Edges, Buffer stops, Buffers with lights, Running Lamps with lights, Light poles, Power poles, Transformers, Salt Bins, Coal bunkers, Speed signs, Shunting signals, Water feedlines, Diesel tanks, Diesel fuelling point, Dummy point motors, Feed pillars, Loading gauge, Security fence, Chicken-wire & barbed fence, Low guardrail etc.

I also figured out how to make a very accurate 2/3/4-aspect signal lights and also simple theatre indicators using 0402 micro LED's - which are a nightmare to solder!

There are a LOT of pictures and I don't want to pound the site without first asking is there any interest in seeing the pics?

Here's a quick vid of the 3-aspect signals to whet your appetites! :)

Ross.

Edited by RBTKraisee

• 2 weeks later...

The N gauge County is nearing completion, and I'm working to gather all the info I'll need to start an N15 King Arthur with the distinctive 8-wheel double bogie tender to follow.   But last night I wanted to just go design something for S&G's, so here's the result of one evening's work...

Ross.

1689178665_APT-PDrivingTrailerSecond-Copy.JPG.d10e3c1e81d9762714a54ad799f2737d.JPG748895521_APT-PDrivingTrailerSecond211128A.JPG.643b3352c56f50a650560769d98ba783.JPG821242578_APT-PDrivingTrailerSecond211129A.JPG.b7aa0bfc016eab41f600951e223782c8.JPG1210112313_APT-PDrivingTrailerSecond211129B.JPG.5bbae237253a7775b356930252d23c15.JPG

Edited by RBTKraisee

It has taken some time for my trusty Photon to print all of the N gauge Gresley Teak Restaurant Triplet Set kits that I got orders for, but the last of the backlog finally went out today, which means they should all arrive in plenty of time for Xmas.   Four of the kits have already arrived with customers and they seem to like them :)

I have one more full RTS kit here on the shelf for a customer who is visiting Florida in a few weeks time and wants to pick his up personally, and I have two more partially printed kits.   From here onward, I will make the kits to order.   It currently takes me about three days of continual printing for each one.

And...   I did an initial test print of the APT Driving Trailer and it seemed to come out pretty well.   The vents on the equipment bays are a bit too fine to show print properly, so I'll adjust them, and I need to print the interior, but this carriage is already most of the way to completion.    Only another three carriages to design, with a few different interior configurations, and somewhere in there I will also have to perfect the tilting mechanism!   I have a plan for that, so wish me luck!

Ross.

IMG_0368.JPG.49ac096c4c73208d6eae01f10e3d3aa6.JPG20211201_071114.jpg.6f09b821da7f2a1be9c9b5f36cc9c2c8.jpg

Edited by RBTKraisee