GWR Hydra buffers/transfers

dpgibbons

I'm finishing my brass kit makers' entrance exam with the Connoisseur GWR Hydra wagon build and thought I might celebrate with a fittings upgrade. Could somebody please point me towards any ready-made transfers and to a better set of buffers than the whitemetal ones in the kit. Thanks!

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, dpgibbons said:

I'm finishing my brass kit makers' entrance exam with the Connoisseur GWR Hydra wagon build and thought I might celebrate with a fittings upgrade. Could somebody please point me towards any ready-made transfers and to a better set of buffers than the whitemetal ones in the kit. Thanks!

If you mean the chunky self contained type they arent the easiest to source - there are a few around that dont look at all convincing to me, certainly not better than the kit's anyway.

PECO do ones with a metal head in a brass casing that fits into a plastic base. Make sure the plastic sprue is included - I've seen some for sale with it missing. 

Invertrains do them but no image online and I havent checked them.

One of many things on my list to look for once exhibitions start again

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Premium

Peco do that type as well in brass.

When I had a quick look at hydras the preserved ones have self contained but of course there are always lots of variations!

Edited by Hal Nail

There are white metal castings and there are white metal castings.

Lanarkshire models are IMHO very good and at the top of the pile for cast wagon components.

It sounds as if you are after a set of sprung buffers for your wagon?

Gordon A

• Agree 1

To be fair I don't think that the original question mentioned that the model was 7mm.  I hadn't read the sub-title either - just happened to know that Connoisseur only did the Hydra in 7mm.

Cheers,

Ray.

Edited by Marshall5

Apologies for not mentioning the scale - it's easy to miss that this was posted in the 7mm+ forum!

I'll try the Peco RO-3 buffers - thanks for the tip.

Any thoughts on transfers please? I've perused a few GW transfer sheets online without finding the HYDRA lettering.

• 4 weeks later...

Update - the Peco buffers aren't a good match. I may just use the steel buffers to replace the whitemetal ones from the kit. I have found suitable transfers including the HYDRA lettering on the HMRS "GWR goods vehicle insignia" sheet.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, dpgibbons said:

Update - the Peco buffers aren't a good match.

As in they don't fit, or are a different type?

Probably worth posting a photo of what you are trying to replace.

The Hydra buffers v Peco RO-3.  As you can see the Hydra buffers are much more substantial, with the shank being 7mm L to the mounting plate x 3.4mm dia at the base, with an 8mm dia buffer head and a rectangular mounting plate.

The Hydra was a brown vehicle so most likely it's a coach buffer.

Buffers.jpg

WEP Models do the Hydra, it's included in their sheet Transwhiteinst-3.

They are waterslide and very good, I'm using them at the moment, just

a satisfied customer, no connection.

I got mine at a show, but there is a phone number,

0121 429 4086 (after 7pm)

They do a full range, yellow (brown vehicles)

white (grey and black vehicles)

red (white vehicles)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that. I have found suitable coach buffers from Markits and H&A Models, and screwlink couplings from Slaters. 

Am I right in thinking that the correct 1920s livery would be NPCS brown for the well sides and everything below in black? Some pics have the chassis and/or wheels in brown. 

• 2 months later...

Two months on and it's ready to paint.  I sourced replacement buffers from NMRS Models and transfers from the HMRS GWR Wagons sheet.

I'm still wondering about the livery though - brown or black under the well sides? None of the reference works make it clear.