Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Don Leeper

Martync

As part of my day job I have links with an organisation called BSRIA (Building Services Research and Information Association) and a couple of weeks ago I received a newsletter which featured a tribute to a stalwart member of the organisation - this was Don Leeper.  My ears pricked up at this, as the name rang a bell, particularly with reference as a contributor with Iain Rice to Hepton Wharf, but there was no mention of an interest in railway modelling.

I have today received another communication which has a more detailed tribute, which does mention the modelling aspect, and thus confirms that, sadly, Don has passed away.

https://www.bsria.com/uk/news/article/bsria_pays_respect_to_the_passing_of_donald_don_leeper_obe/?gator_td=2%2fAU9CPxaE0FWCIrV9wYTJb22ohUeujaWCAXGA2BdX3Qa3vkgXFGNa0l4eyvP8qZKNbEhU0NRwQXsdk%2bGpyC%2bnfxnrrmlzXa%2bsTKtR%2bfLObsKieieJjFFPtcs%2foiIAvd2Xloe5fK4NlLumbpSbE64noGnHKAyGd2Y%2bTdBKcewCSh1S3Pae%2bq%2b0esNlCB76ZGaLocNhuzcRP3CRj1WDwfbw%3d%3d

It is a great sadness to me that I have never managed to see Hepton Wharf, or indeed Longwood Edge, in the flesh.  I have always enjoyed the many articles on the layouts however, and it is clear to see the standard of modelling was very high.

My condolences to Don's family and friends.

Martyn

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

I can recall him (as well as Iain), being very helpful and engaging with subjects like design and presentation. Hepton Wharf with its high level baseboard and fully integrated cameo design. I always associated Hepton with Don Leeper from the initial Scalefourum build through to its various magazine appearances. A layout worth looking out for, and a nice one to be remembered by.

• RMweb Premium

Sad to hear this. I knew Don through work, as I spent nine years with CIBSE which has close links with BSRIA. Don did occasionally mention modelling but I had never associated him with the Don Leeper who appeared in the modelling press.

Jonathan David

• RMweb Premium

Don had been a member of the Epsom and Ewell club for many years. For many visitors to our NESCOT exhibition, he and Pauline would be welcoming faces on the entrance desk.

He will be greatly missed.

Dave