Hepton Wharf and Longwood Edge

Martync

• RMweb Gold

Hi Martyn,

I don't believe that either layout has appeared in the model railway press per se.

However both appear extensively in Iain Rice's book Creating Cameo Layouts with Longwood Edge being a collaborative effort between Iain and Don Leeper.

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, adrianmc said:

Hi Martyn,

I don't believe that either layout has appeared in the model railway press per se.

However both appear extensively in Iain Rice's book Creating Cameo Layouts with Longwood Edge being a collaborative effort between Iain and Don Leeper.

The late Don Leeper.

Mike.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern
bloody spillchucker.
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Longwood Edge hasn’t as far as I’m aware been in any magazines in its own right. It is featured in Iain Rice’s Cameo layout design book Cameo Layout Design

Hepton Wharf featured as I recall in a few issues of MORRIL, with a build and concept discussion, and a traditional layout article

Edited by PMP
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

I think Hepton Wharf was featured in one one of the old Modelling railways illustrated magazines.

Yes it was, I'll post a reference when I get home. 

Update now I'm home.

It did get a mention in Modelling Railways Illustrated, by not a proper article. The only ref is of it's visit to the Netherlands to Rail 94, as part of a contingent of British layouts attending. Vol 2 number 4  Page 210.

Other more useful references are, with my notes.

Model Railways  1993 November  Page 7  Authors' successfully built a small S4 layout during the period of Scaleforum 93. It was built from raw materials to a running stage in 14 hours 9 min & 53 sec's later.

Model Railways 1993 December  Page 7  More photos of completed layout.

RM Digest No. 1  Page 30.

Author describes the lighting for his layout. It uses 12V 50W Halogen lights on a purpose built frame. Info on layout lighting with details on suitable lights & important distances.

Not sure how useful, as no one uses QH lights anymore!

Further update as found another ref. Hiding because this article written by Iain Rice, rather than Don Leeper.

Modelling Railways Illustrated Vol 2 Number 10  Page 519

Author describes the latest progress on the Hepton Wharf layout. It has now been backed dated to the pre-grouping era, with a Pug & Class 23 0-6-0ST. Also new layout lighting & a redesigned fiddleyard.

Edited by kevinlms
Updated info.

I remember meeting Don Leeper, at the LYR society Symposium, He had Hepton Wharf there and I had my Shaw Bridge layout.

he came over a few times over the weekend and made favourable comments regarding my layout, he said he liked the presentation and running quality.

Iain rice a met a few times, once at Liverpool, with a Hepton Warfe in its infancy and again with Trerrice at Scalefour North, not sure if he was with a Don on that occasion.

peter

Hepton Wharf was introduced in Modelling Railways Illustrated volume 1 No.3 in an article entitled 'The case for cameos'. It covers the design considerations and includes a perspective sketch and a track plan, as well as some photos. 

Rob

• 7 months later...