Small Drill Press recomendatons

I gave away my Dremel drill press attachment as I couldn't stand the amount of sideways wobble it had. Something solid, precision and intended for workshop metalwork will be  far more expensive, but will serve you well for the rest of your life. And have the proper accessories you will end up needing as your skills expand. Like collets and perhaps an x-y table.

Andy

• Agree 2

Pictured is a SIEG X0 Deluxe Mini Drill / Mill 

It cost about AU$380.00 for the mill/drill

The Vice is about AU$55.00

& the XY table for about AU$250,00 

XY tables can be got for less than AU$100.00

This may be more than you want  but I got a lot of use from it.

mill.png.1d0c0b5bd87f11b7b74fea2be8639b57.png

The chuck will hold a piece of brass rod 0.04mm

The base is about 200mm by 300mm

This is not a heavy duty mill (I have cooked 1 motor) but for small milling or drilling jobs it is fine

John

• Like 1

I have a Unimat with vertical post as my precision vertical drill.

If I was to buy a new drill, I would go for the Proxon, I've looked at them, very well made.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

a proxxon MF70 will handle your drilling needs as well as been a good milling machine quick google offers this 

https://www.fruugo.co.uk/proxxon-micromot-mf-70-milling-machine/p-5775990-12805315?language=en&ac=croud&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuozMk7eQ6QIVibbtCh0MFw2kEAQYASABEgJeIfD_BwE

no connection have never regretted buying my own MF70

Nick B

Certainly look at the Proxxon, I considered getting one some years ago. Looked pretty good. Only reason I didn't go ahead was that I couldn't justify the cost for the amount of use it would get

While I like the Proxxon, it looks like a good machine, it's maximum drill size is 3.20mm or 1/8". I find that I do need to drill holes of 4-5mm from time to time so it will be too small

This is why I've never bought one but soldier on with my Chester drill press.

Cheers

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

While I like the Proxxon, it looks like a good machine, it's maximum drill size is 3.20mm or 1/8". I find that I do need to drill holes of 4-5mm from time to time so it will be too small

This is why I've never bought one but soldier on with my Chester drill press.

Cheers

The optional Rohm chuck (about £10) will handle drills between 0.5mm and 6mm.  I added that to mine when I bought it.

• Informative/Useful 1

45 minutes ago, Mark Forrest said:

The optional Rohm chuck (about £10) will handle drills between 0.5mm and 6mm.  I added that to mine when I bought it.

I'm assuming that this is an enhancement to the Proxxon.

EDIT: I cannot find a reference to a Rohm chuck except at a great price

Edited by PenrithBeacon

Another vote for the Proxxon TBM220. As already mentioned, it comes with a set of collets and the chuck is an add on. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/2255290150?iid=351675432584&chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=351675432584&targetid=876869733809&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1006965&poi=&campaignid=9437836502&mkgroupid=95452904346&rlsatarget=aud-381667280803:pla-876869733809&abcId=1140486&merchantid=7318514&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoL6H9I2R6QIVi7HtCh1V2Qz1EAQYBSABEgL3hPD_BwE

Don't get the flimsy machine vice they sell to go with it, as it's a bit rubbish. I got a cheap small cast iron one from one of the online tool suppliers that's a lot more sturdy.  

• RMweb Premium

if and it is a big if,   you can afford it go for the MF70 as a milling machine  it  will aid scratch building or cut and shunts  and do everything the drill press can do with  only a little more  effort ( turning the handle )  but £xxx extra is still £xxx extra

Nick B 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Not sure I'd want to use a chuck for drills of less than 2mm.

My Chester drill press has a very good collet, but it uses a lot of space on the desk which passes as a bench. I get by.

Cheers

My Proxxon manages quite nicely down to 0.3mm with the Rohm chuck, I don't have any problems with it, but then again, I'm a modeller not a precision engineer!

Mike.

I had already a very nice proxxon IB/S drill, so I bought the MB200 drill stand. I must say that I am very impressed. The design is very rigid. I am drilling frequently 0.3mm holes with carbide drill bits. Although I wouldn't want to drill a 5mm hole with the IB/S.

I know that theTBM220 is a very good machine, but 8500rpm is not enough for sub 1mm holes.

Michael

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, michl080 said:

I had already a very nice proxxon IB/S drill, so I bought the MB200 drill stand. I must say that I am very impressed. The design is very rigid. I am drilling frequently 0.3mm holes with carbide drill bits. Although I wouldn't want to drill a 5mm hole with the IB/S.

I know that theTBM220 is a very good machine, but 8500rpm is not enough for sub 1mm holes.

Michael

I use a lighting dimmer switch on mine (cue shouts of horror) which slows it down nicely for drilling plastic without melting.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 01/05/2020 at 09:36, Enterprisingwestern said:

I use a lighting dimmer switch on mine (cue shouts of horror) which slows it down nicely for drilling plastic without melting.

good idea for plastic, but you need more a lot more rpm for brass. You better go with 20krpm for 1mm carbide drills.

Michael

• Informative/Useful 1