My grain store is finished

billtee

I have now finished my model of the grain store discovered while taking my daily exercise during the coronavirus lockdown. I have been using each day’s walk to explore the field footpaths around my village (I have only been here five years!), and when I saw the grain store I just knew it had to be modelled - it has such interesting additions and changes through its existence. Sadly, the grain store will soon be demolished to make way for housing, so I have been fortunate to be able to frequently pop along to confirm details, measurements, colours and weathering details before it goes forever.

Here are two photos of my model (which is only a shallow-depth backdrop, really).
The first photo shows how the farmer used a bit of asbestos angle as a channel to direct rainwater from one gutter to another after a bit of downpipe broke.

The second photo shows the grain store with a (shallow depth) birch tree finishing off the right side of the display.

I guess I had better do some more ballasting now!

Bill (GOG No. 22932)

6052E87A-4F67-4E00-B79D-B59F44F5538A.jpeg

59CB26B2-D07F-4A95-A641-40C075D842E2.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Guest WM183

Oh that Is great! Did you build the tree as well? The weathering and somewhat rattletrap construction of the building is perfect. 

Do you have a thread on the construction somewhere? 

Amanda 

• 2 weeks later...

Amanda,

The construction of the grain store is quite simple really. I made a (rough) basic shape using 6mm foamboard, and the corrugated iron on the front, and the corrugated asbestos roofing, were one-sided corrugated cardboard available from most art and craft shops (different sized corrugations, of course).

Living near the old grain store meant I could pop over and get lots of photos so that my finish of each section of the building and its weathering would be as accurate as possible. It is just a shame that I had to ‘cut off’ the rear side of the building to make it a half-relief model, though there was nothing but a large blank wall of corrugated asbestos at the rear! I had to considerably shorten the depth of the brick section of the building too, as the railway track into my steam MPD rather restricts the depth of the whole model.

Here is a photo of my model as it was being tried out on the layout for size and position. The inverted jar taped to the baseboard protects a working footpath lamp-post (I didn’t want to damage it!).

Thank you for your kind words - I really enjoy doing the ‘little’ details on my models (I won’t even start on the interior details of some of my houses!). Most people don’t notice them, but I know they are correct and that they CAN be seen, if only with difficulty!

The tree began life as a 22cm tall tree from Woodland Classics (part of the Woodland Scenics group), and is the largest I could find! I had to butcher it by cutting off all the branches on the rear half of the tree in order to fit it beside the grain store without impeding rolling stock or locomotives passing by! Then I bent the remaining branches to a more realistic shape. I used the ‘cuttings’ as ground cover.

Bill

A25A03E4-687D-4D79-B713-70540373F1C1.jpeg

• Like 3

The grain store building is now being demolished! Sad times, I reckon, but I am glad that I took lots of photos and dimensions when I did! The building will probably be gone in a week!

I am sad for the building because it was so interesting. There will never be another structure as nice as this was.

Bill

552A07BB-BF0E-4CDA-A5F7-469F9C985F0B.jpeg

• Like 1