Friden - Cromford & High Peak

Middlepeak

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I sent this photo to the Cumbrian Railways Association and now I understand that this photo is the only one known of this prototype in LMS livery. The problem is that it's resolution is much too small to be suitable for print media. Do you have an original print or can you point me in a direction so I,  or the CRA, can get a copy that is suitable for print media?

Thanks 

Hi - check your inbox as I’ve just messaged you.

Cheers

Jay

• Thanks 1

Very little about trains in this post I'm afraid, but at a time when I'm beginning to think more about the landscape around Friden and on the layout, along comes an old friend and former Buxton resident with a recommendation for some bedtime reading.

20210216_151639.jpg.630b2bdba214ee657d15d4719962d893.jpg

This is very much a geographer's book, written by a professional archaeologist with long standing links to the Peak District National Park. What you get is a very authoritative but well written book, with a huge number of photos and maps to illustrate the subject. I'm barely a quarter of the way through the 200 plus pages, but there's already lots of useful background about villages, field systems and the fundamental differences in landscape between the White Peak and the Dark Peak. £30 well spent, for me at least!

More railway next time - I promise!

G

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Some progress to report at Friden, with the first baseboard now looking a bit more like a railway.

You will recall that this is the eastern entrance to the yard, which also serves as a scenic fiddle yard with a removable cassette. With the side and end profiles of the board fitted and painted, the two anchor screws for the cassette were installed and a start was made on the landforms either side of the railway.

20210219_204518.jpg.a313882d2a0de7da390dbfe43489e5ab.jpg

This is my first effort with styrofoam  or 'blue foam', which in this case is actually black. Pre-shaped layers were stuck down with No More Nails, with some final sanding to smooth out the embankments. 

Recent work has included the installation of the occupation crossing on the cassette, seen unpainted in this view.

20210308_102752.jpg.4a11729945502994069ea8653e3610f2.jpg

Final work before the Sculptamold will be to create a better joint along the sides of the cassette, the idea being to hide the joint in static grass as much as possible. I've made a start on this be installing a thin profiled wooden strip along the edge of the cassette, which will form the edge between the ash ballast and the grass bank.

20210308_102820.jpg.dc5136f89ee1d703624c124091c7386b.jpg

More in due course, but tracklaying on the third and fourth baseboards beckons!

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

A bit of a plea for assistance this time.

Trawling through the mass of CHP photographs that I have in my collection (over 1500 at the last count), I have been noticing the prevalence of certain types of wagon in the daily freight working from Middleton Top to Friden. If we look at the 1960s, it seems that much of the output from the Prestwich Intake Quarry was carried in Gannet wagons (ex-LMS D1804 25T Ballast Hoppers).

HNI55.jpg.0a8ccdcdc4e05b32039353b61e430cdc.jpg

Source - GH collection, original photographer unknown

There's a drawing from the diagram book in Essery's LMS Wagons Vol 1, but I'm after a more detailed version for modelling purposes. I have written to the NRM to see if they have anything, but I wondered if anyone else can think of another source?

Better still, is there an obvious source of a 4mm model for these, apart from the Falcon Brass kit, which is currently not available?

Thanks if you can help.

Geraint

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Middlepeak said:

A bit of a plea for assistance this time.

Trawling through the mass of CHP photographs that I have in my collection (over 1500 at the last count), I have been noticing the prevalence of certain types of wagon in the daily freight working from Middleton Top to Friden. If we look at the 1960s, it seems that much of the output from the Prestwich Intake Quarry was carried in Gannet wagons (ex-LMS D1804 25T Ballast Hoppers).

There's a drawing from the diagram book in Essery's LMS Wagons Vol 1, but I'm after a more detailed version for modelling purposes. I have written to the NRM to see if they have anything, but I wondered if anyone else can think of another source?

Better still, is there an obvious source of a 4mm model for these, apart from the Falcon Brass kit, which is currently not available?

Thanks if you can help.

Geraint

Hi Geraint - I’ve searched all over for a Gannet kit and the discontinued Falcon Brass one is all I’ve found. I’m also going to need a fair few of these. I’ll send you an email when i have a minute later.... I have an idea!
Jay

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

Hi Geraint - I’ve searched all over for a Gannet kit and the discontinued Falcon Brass one is all I’ve found. I’m also going to need a fair few of these. I’ll send you an email when i have a minute later.... I have an idea!
Jay

Oooh, goody, more ballast wagon kits?

Mike.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Oooh, goody, more ballast wagon kits?

Mike.

Not so much kit but maybe the 3D printing route. I’ve just commissioned a set of McConnel 4 wheel tenders which I pick up tomorrow. I need to check the quality of these before going any further but it’s an economical way if you need multiples of the same item. 
Jay

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

A bit more progress today with the installation of the fourth baseboard that takes the tracks up to the Youlgreave Road bridge. This has really tested the design and assembly of the laser cut baseboards, with the long joint to board 3 proving to be the hardest to get right.

20210411_154504.jpg.5af48eeae566fdc3dc6924add8827ce4.jpg

The back siding serving the loading dock is now finished, complete with a Midland / LMS buffer stop from Lanarkshire Models. I cut the running rails away from the castings and Araldited the remainder to a short section of code 75 bullhead rail. Electrical isolation is provided by the Exactoscale plastic rail joint bars and the buffer beam, which is made from a trimmed down coffee stirrer. For some reason, the beam on the prototype was shortened at one end, before anyone asks!

20210411_154524.jpg.01892dcb8a65691682076983bc2907cc.jpg

I can now move on with the track on the new board, as well as wiring it all up, which will give me somewhere to play trains at last!

• Like 10

OK, I'm getting ahead of myself here, but I mentioned the Youlgreave Road bridge in the last post.

A few minutes on Google Earth produced a fairly square-on view of the north side abutment, which was then scaled up on TurboCAD, printed and stuck to a piece of foam board.

20210411_165732.jpg.f81177a1751931a518157a9ccd6e5422.jpg

20210411_165754.jpg.1c370c6dbec17dca7b3ce0c9f75ed1c3.jpg

A useful check on clearances and yes, the North Western single decker has strayed somewhat from the Manchester - Buxton route, but will be redirected with a change of destination blind in due course!

However, you get the picture....

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I love the inconsistent spelling round here, the village that the road leads to is called Youlgrave, spelled like that, but road signs around it have it as Youlgreave, and even Youlegreave. Locals call it Yowgriv.

Al.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

I love the inconsistent spelling round here, the village that the road leads to is called Youlgrave, spelled like that, but road signs around it have it as Youlgreave, and even Youlegreave. Locals call it Yowgriv.

Al.

Are you based up near Buxton Al?

• RMweb Gold

The spelling of Youlgreave has always been in contention. The Silver Service bus company ran for workers between Friden and Matlock morning and evening with between trips from Middleton-by Youlgreave to Matlock.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Middlepeak said:

Just going with the OS spelling Al - safest in the circumstances!

Geraint

This is the sign for the village boundary:

youlegreave_sign3.jpg.819d07e6ce021e074b0943efc9f76cc1.jpg

This is the road sign at Haddon:

youlegreave_sign2.jpg.21a2e38362de2062a8897355c0dec3fc.jpg

and the road sign at Newhaven:

youlegreave_sign1.jpg.735486c9878734a517441658aac97433.jpg

What chance have people got from outside the area... :D

Al.

• Like 3
  • Funny 5

1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

The spelling of Youlgreave has always been in contention. The Silver Service bus company ran for workers between Friden and Matlock morning and evening with between trips from Middleton-by Youlgreave to Matlock.

Jonathan,

I've never found a photo of a bus on this service. Do you know of any?

Best wishes for your hospital visit this week.

Geraint

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Middlepeak said:

I've never found a photo of a bus on this service.

I found the 1930 timetable:

https://transpirebus.files.wordpress.com/2016/04/silverservice-1930s.pdf

And this could have been the bus?

15421320974_e8772457e8_z.jpgSilver Service RA6505 by Garry Woodhouse, on Flickr

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
  • Like 3

On 10/04/2021 at 23:49, Middlepeak said:

The diagram is repeated in the LMS Society's publicly available list of drawings 

See page 77 of this

I will make an enquiry as to whether there is anything further they hold; there is a fair chance they do.

Do any still exist?  

I would say it would be a challenge to do this as a 3D print, getting the thinness of the sides to be convincing and then the underframe will be pretty open too so again would need delicacy.  It would be a pretty significant task even as an etch...........choose something easier Geriant?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Portchullin Tatty said:

The diagram is repeated in the LMS Society's publicly available list of drawings 

See page 77 of this

I will make an enquiry as to whether there is anything further they hold; there is a fair chance they do.

Do any still exist?  

I would say it would be a challenge to do this as a 3D print, getting the thinness of the sides to be convincing and then the underframe will be pretty open too so again would need delicacy.  It would be a pretty significant task even as an etch...........choose something easier Geriant?

Any idea approximately what the scale thickness of those sides would be? Figuring out if this is beyond the limitation of 3D print is what I’m working on at the moment. 
Gannets were well used on this section of C&HPR that myself and Geraint are modelling so an essential item really. It’s a shame those Falcon Brass kits are unavailable!

Jay

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m a regular user of the High Peak Trail (when we’re allowed to go there), so layouts like this fascinate me. I often potter past Friden brickworks on the bike en route to more knarly trackage. For some reason the locals seem to pronounce it ‘Fridden’, not ‘Fry-Den’, so apparently I was saying it incorrectly for many years.

Looking forward to how this layout develops.

Edited by 97406
  • Like 2