Friden - Cromford & High Peak

Middlepeak

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, billbedford said:

I think 0.3mm brass etch would be massively over-scale for the body work. 

44 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

Thanks Bill. Probably makes a 3D print out the question then!

It's always going to be a compromise modelling in 4mm, I would guess that very few rolling stock models, even brass etch, have scale thickness sides, and Parkside and so on plastic wagons are massively overscale, but it's something you have to accept. There are thousands of 16 tonners pottering round hundreds of layouts, with scale 8 inch thick armour-plated sides, but people don't give up or stop using them.

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

I think etched it probably will be, but from my previous experience, the gestation period for such things can be quite long, including one or two test etch iterations courtesy of my good friends at PPD.

First step is probably to get some design tips from other experts, starting with the acquisition of a couple of Justin Newitt's well respected creations. The Grampus detailing kit is probably the first port of call!

Don't wait up for further progress on the Gannet, but I'll keep you posted!

Geraint

• Like 4

7 hours ago, JustinDean said:

Any idea approximately what the scale thickness of those sides would be? Figuring out if this is beyond the limitation of 3D print is what I’m working on at the moment. 

My guess (and it is only a guess) is that they will have used 3/16ths inch thick steel sheet, possibly 1/4th.  That scales down to 0.1mm.

Obviously a compromise will be required and the comments about the Parkside minerals are all agreed, but etching is the place to start.

Geriant, if I unearth anything I will let you know offline.

Mark

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Portchullin Tatty said:

My guess (and it is only a guess) is that they will have used 3/16ths inch thick steel sheet, possibly 1/4th.  That scales down to 0.1mm.

It's actually a tad worse than that, it would scale out at a couple of microns over 0.08mm.

Mike

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Middlepeak said:

I think etched it probably will be, but from my previous experience, the gestation period for such things can be quite long, including one or two test etch iterations courtesy of my good friends at PPD.

First step is probably to get some design tips from other experts, starting with the acquisition of a couple of Justin Newitt's well respected creations. The Grampus detailing kit is probably the first port of call!

Don't wait up for further progress on the Gannet, but I'll keep you posted!

Geraint

Not that I am any good at this kit designing lark, but I've always thought that the way to go for thin metal wagon sides is to 3D print the framing for builders to stick onto a thin sheet of brass/plastic/whatever to maintain a degree of finesse. Maybe that is a possibility for you?

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 18/02/2021 at 17:02, Middlepeak said:

Very little about trains in this post I'm afraid, but at a time when I'm beginning to think more about the landscape around Friden and on the layout, along comes an old friend and former Buxton resident with a recommendation for some bedtime reading.

20210216_151639.jpg.630b2bdba214ee657d15d4719962d893.jpg

This is very much a geographer's book, written by a professional archaeologist with long standing links to the Peak District National Park. What you get is a very authoritative but well written book, with a huge number of photos and maps to illustrate the subject. I'm barely a quarter of the way through the 200 plus pages, but there's already lots of useful background about villages, field systems and the fundamental differences in landscape between the White Peak and the Dark Peak. £30 well spent, for me at least!

More railway next time - I promise!

G

Excellent book.

Peterfgf

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/04/2021 at 21:35, Alister_G said:

Ooh, look, a more recent one on that service:

49574037806_f8cc9a6f9f_4k.jpg57. YHA 321J: Silver Service, Darley Dale by Richard Simons, on Flickr

Al.

My gran lived in Middleton and we often used SS buses to visit Matlock when I stayed with her most school hols in the 60/70s so the buses were not as old or as modern as @Alister_Gs photos. But they were old! Mainly half cabs. Their silver livery was striking against Hulleys red and cream.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...

Apologies for the deafening silence of late, but my wife has just endured another two weeks in hospital, and the daily round of visits as a carer has taken its toll on my modelling time, and to a degree on my sanity!

Back to the workshop now though, and a start has been made on the bridge over the Youlgreave road. Various close up photos have shown that the stonework is formed of various "patches" comprising stones of different sizes. I wanted to capture this on the model, so I'm working on it course by course and stone by stone, using various sizes of Evergreen strip in 40 thou thickness. The stones are then distressed with  an engraving tool and cleaned off with a fibreglass brush.

20210615_182805.jpg.3cf1275b108ebe44bb53c6faf6edc0c7.jpg

20210615_182829.jpg.15ce778c53f9f0928c53ea4c51759cea.jpg

A long job, but quite relaxing, and I'm enjoying it, which is all that counts!!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

• RMweb Gold

The stonework looks really good and the technique reminds me of how the London P4 Group dressed the station building stonework on Heckmondwike in the 1970s. Is it that long ago?

• Like 1

Jay,

Sorry, forgot to acknowledge safe arrival. Looks like a workable solution. Just pondering over suspension arrangements!

I have also paid my dues to the NRM, so hopefully the Gannet drawings will arrive soon.

Unfortunately the hospital stay meant that I had to cancel a proposed visit to Friden, with a night at the nearby Jug & Glass. Later in the summer, maybe.

G

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 16/06/2021 at 22:37, Middlepeak said:

Jay,

Sorry, forgot to acknowledge safe arrival. Looks like a workable solution. Just pondering over suspension arrangements!

I have also paid my dues to the NRM, so hopefully the Gannet drawings will arrive soon.

Unfortunately the hospital stay meant that I had to cancel a proposed visit to Friden, with a night at the nearby Jug & Glass. Later in the summer, maybe.

G

It’s going to be a bit of work to get a decent model out of it but I think the basis is there. 

Let me know if you’re planning to head up this way!

Jay 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A bit more stonemasonry has taken place on the bridge over the road to Youlgreave. With the parapet and capping now complete (thanks to local boy Jay for going out to take measurements for me), all that remains is to complete the voussoir stones and the remainder of the courses up to the string course. 

20210712_205211.jpg.b89e8a05f2fcf3d144ccc46f7ee02521.jpg

You might be able to spot that the side walls to the arch have been fashioned from Wills sheet, which is perfectly acceptable for the limited view that will result. I've yet to complete the underside of the arch, and I suspect that again no detail will be required here for the simple reason that you can't see it! Similarly the only detail that will be required on the far portal will be the parapet stonework, as the rest will face away from the viewer and the road at that point is largely hidden in trees.

One thing I didn't bargain for is that because the road slopes downwards towards the bridge on both sides, it's actually very difficult to slide the completed arch in from the front. The various pieces will therefore have to be painted and weathered away from the layout and assembled on site, feeding them in from either side of the track bed. Doubtless that will require a whole weekend possession!

More when it's painted ....

Geraint

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Middlepeak said:

A bit more stonemasonry has taken place on the bridge over the road to Youlgreave. With the parapet and capping now complete (thanks to local boy Jay for going out to take measurements for me), all that remains is to complete the voussoir stones and the remainder of the courses up to the string course. 

20210712_205211.jpg.b89e8a05f2fcf3d144ccc46f7ee02521.jpg

You might be able to spot that the side walls to the arch have been fashioned from Wills sheet, which is perfectly acceptable for the limited view that will result. I've yet to complete the underside of the arch, and I suspect that again no detail will be required here for the simple reason that you can't see it! Similarly the only detail that will be required on the far portal will be the parapet stonework, as the rest will face away from the viewer and the road at that point is largely hidden in trees.

One thing I didn't bargain for is that because the road slopes downwards towards the bridge on both sides, it's actually very difficult to slide the completed arch in from the front. The various pieces will therefore have to be painted and weathered away from the layout and assembled on site, feeding them in from either side of the track bed. Doubtless that will require a whole weekend possession!

More when it's painted ....

Geraint

Looking good Geraint and nice to see you back here!

Jay

• 3 weeks later...

Another plea for assistance!

I have decided that one of the possible operational moves for Friden would be for a main line loco to arrive with an engineer's inspection saloon and for the staff concerned to change vehicles to a Wickham Trolley for their trip further towards Middleton. There is photographic evidence to suggest that this maybe did take place.

Looking through my photo collection, I found a shot of Longcliffe yard (part of which is cruelly enlarged below), which shows a platelayers' hut that was used as a shed for a trolley, so I thought that for the purposes of my layout I would relocate it to Friden.

20210802_181941.jpg.a70c3ffa6ae04ca970881efacebf48b1.jpg

The problem is that the photo is insufficiently detailed to allow anything other than a cursory scale up of the side elevation for modelling. The roof looks as though it's fashioned from corrugated panels, but the construction of the walls is unclear.

The question is therefore - does anyone have any other photos of this hut, or for that matter anything similar at any other point on the BR network? Of course a drawing of same would be wonderful, but one can't afford to raise hopes too much!

Cheers,

Geraint

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ll have a look through the collection when I get back home next week as I have a fair amount of Longcliffe photos  - I’m currently in Cornwall. Hope you’re keeping well Geraint?

Jay

Edited by JustinDean
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Middlepeak said:

The question is therefore - does anyone have any other photos of this hut, or for that matter anything similar at any other point on the BR network?

Hi Geraint,

I found this photo of two such sheds. I have no idea where they are, except that they are somewhere on the BR network.

wickham-trolley-sheds4.jpg.278cb2e5fa080336e77c5206a1eb3f59.jpg

Neither of them are the same as the Longcliffe one, but they both look to be timber clad. Hopefully that will give you some ideas?

Al.

• Thanks 1