Hornby Class 66 NHS ltd edition

Garry D100

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 669cpb said:

Now saying 1000 will be made

Thanks for saying about the increased quantity. Tried again after clapping and was successful.

Wanted to order one for SWIMBO who is a teacher. She started a model train club at her school using one of the Hornby Family packs, she fancied her own loco and this one really appealed

• Like 2

• Moderators

Yes, the quantity has been increased. Simon has been in touch to say "because of the demand for folks to support the NHS we have increased the qty to 1000. I am sure we can be forgiven on this occasion to increase the limited edition as it means we generate £40k for the NHS so thank you RMWeb readers and all railway modellers for your support. "

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Moonraking Red said:

Just like Col. Tom, do not worry about stopping at 1,000. Keep going! I'm sure 10,000 should be the figure. Well done, Hornby

I think there will be limits to the capacity of production in China. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

More from Simon!

STOP PRESS Your readers have blown the 1000 so as to avoid disappointment and to support the NHS we have increased them to 1500. This means that the railway modellers and your readers will be donating £60k. I have never known such kindness and support.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

Even with 1500 on the stocks, the Hornby website won't let me in...

However, I'm glad to see that there's so much support!

20:47 - Its fallen over completely!

We will be back shortly!

Something has gone wrong with our website, we're working to fix it now.
Thank you for your patience and we apologise for any inconvenience.

04:00 - There's no one about now, flew through!  Hurrah!!!

Edited by Hroth
update
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

36 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

More from Simon!

STOP PRESS Your readers have blown the 1000 so as to avoid disappointment and to support the NHS we have increased them to 1500. This means that the railway modellers and your readers will be donating £60k. I have never known such kindness and support.

I wonder if Hornby will increase the total amount of models being make upto to 2020 which would be rather apt for the model seeing that the real version came out this year and what it is representing. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

very impressive, what a great story.

i’m really thrilled to see the hobby move in this way, it shows people want to play their part. 
My little ones been super excited tonight by the news of the real loco, and now of the model, as well as being glued to the TV at 8am this morning.

Such a story of hope.

• Like 4

Hornby could have have the best seller of the decade maybe the century so why not let the orders run and then just make them so we can all have one - not just those who want a limited edition to sell at a massive profit.

Danger is of course that another brand(s) could also step in with their own version (correct body etc) and then people jump ship and cancel their Hornby order.........

Edited by Martin_R
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Martin_R said:

Hornby could have have the best seller of the decade maybe the century so why not let the orders run and then just make them so we can all have one - not just those who want a limited edition to sell at a massive profit.

Danger is of course that another brand(s) could also step in with their own version (correct body etc) and then people jump ship and cancel their Hornby order.........

I'd think that would be dependent on GBRf and their licensing agreement? i.e. whether they would then let someone else replicate it and I would imagine they would want to see similar charitable terms applied, as per the Hornby model. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm afraid the NHS logo is not correct on the image Hornby have shown us so far. I'm sure the NHS would prefer the proper logo to be used, and it's a better design anyway!

Should be like this:

image.png.c390dd9e1a68a6874fab53a4fb96e2ea.png

For more info see: https://www.england.nhs.uk/nhsidentity/identity-guidelines/nhs-logo/

I tried to contact Hornby directly about this but I couldn't get through. Maybe someone with a more direct connection could raise it?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

I'm afraid the NHS logo is not correct on the image Hornby have shown us so far. I'm sure the NHS would prefer the proper logo to be used, and it's a better design anyway!

Should be like this:

image.png.c390dd9e1a68a6874fab53a4fb96e2ea.png

For more info see: https://www.england.nhs.uk/nhsidentity/identity-guidelines/nhs-logo/

I tried to contact Hornby directly about this but I couldn't get through. Maybe someone with a more direct connection could raise it?

Neither does the real loco! There are legal restrictions on duplicating the NHS logo.

https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2020/04/class-66-locomotive-named-captain-tom-moore-by-gb-railfreight.html

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Martin_R said:

your not buying a model, your making a donation to the NHS and getting a locomotive for your gratitude.

I doubt Hornby is making anything on this... remember there’s 20% VAT off the £75, and £40 is to the NHS, plus p&p to you..

Maybe another manufacturer might offer a detailed model on commercial terms, but I think it not appropriate to undercut or compete on this model until after the charity benefits have been realised.

This  isn’t about model railway competition or superdetailed models, its about having an oppourtunity to say you’ve contributed to seeing an end result on something much bigger than our hobby, and on this basis Hornby is the channel we can use to take part.

if Tom Jones made a cover of You’ll never walk alone, you wouldn’t refund Captain Toms cover version.. same applies here.

We donated £100 to Captain Toms appeal, Ive also bought this model, it’ll be my only Hornby 66, Ive no other interest in Hornby 66’s.  and if another model was made next year by someone else I’d maybe consider it too. But this model gives me chance to say I’ve contributed, in a way that relates to my hobby,  it’ll join other “significant memory” locomotives in my collection, which my daughter gets to hear a story about, and may be her children someday, and of course, its a token to show your contribution...

value/quality/price/detail/future value are irrelevant.. it’s giving you chance to take part, in a manner that defines your character as a railway enthusiast, in something much bigger than any of us... 

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4

11 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

your not buying a model, your making a donation to the NHS and getting a locomotive for your gratitude.

I doubt Hornby is making anything on this... remember there’s 20% VAT off the £75, and £40 is to the NHS, plus p&p to you..

Maybe another manufacturer might offer a detailed model on commercial terms, but I think it not appropriate to undercut or compete on this model until after the charity benefits have been realised.

This  isn’t about model railway competition or superdetailed models, its about having an oppourtunity to say you’ve contributed to seeing an end result on something much bigger than our hobby, and on this basis Hornby is the channel we can use to take part.

if Tom Jones made a cover of You’ll never walk alone, you wouldn’t refund Captain Toms cover version.. same applies here.

We donated £100 to Captain Toms appeal, Ive also bought this model, it’ll be my only Hornby 66, Ive no other interest in Hornby 66’s.  and if another model was made next year by someone else I’d maybe consider it too. But this model gives me chance to say I’ve contributed, in a way that relates to my hobby,  it’ll join other “significant memory” locomotives in my collection, which my daughter gets to hear a story about, and may be her children someday, and of course, its a token to show your contribution... value/quality/price are irrelevant.

You have hit the nail on the head with this post.  It is really well written and i agree with what you have put within it @adb968008

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

very impressive, what a great story.

i’m really thrilled to see the hobby move in this way, it shows people want to play their part. 
My little ones been super excited tonight by the news of the real loco, and now of the model, as well as being glued to the TV at 8am this morning.

Such a story of hope.

And I’ve just emailed your daughters excellent suggestion to John smith ;) hopefully he may respond to you directly in due course

2 hours ago, Martin_R said:

the thing with the Hornby one is it’s priced as such that non enthusiasts may decide to buy one as a reminder of a time when Capt. Tom was a shining light in the doom and darkness, then you have NHS workers who may want it too, those type of buyers aren’t going to be interested in working lights, sound etc and of course there is the brand name, Hornby is still a ‘household’ name to certain generations, non modellers will see that familiar red box and name and see it as a bit of nostalgia having not bought a model train in decades, heck it may even be a shot in the arm that the hobby needs to attract young blood into it, wonder how many people will be off to newly reopened diy shops this weekend to buy wood for a new baseboard to build a layout between now and autumn to run Capt. Tom on! 

I personally am going to take the chance on Bachmann releasing their version of it, not in any rush, even if it’s next year, if I’m wrong in my assumption and miss out on the Hornby one then I’ll not be too upset as the Hornby one would only end up in the display case anyway rather than using it as I do with all my Ltd Ed locos 

EDIT: no doubt I’ll end up driving the real 66731 soon then not be able to get the Hornby one, maybe I should try and get one!

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1