Hornby Class 66 NHS ltd edition

Garry D100

1 minute ago, 30801 said:

Some of the moaning on the Hornby Facebook page about expanding the limited edition is astonishing with people saying they are cancelling their order now it's more than 500.

I get the feeling that they are the ones who might have wanted to sell it on ebay for a L@@K RARE! markup. If so, I'm rather glad they've been bitten.

Hornby have now upped the quantity to 2500 so I suppose that:

• Production shots for Autumn Sheds are being cannibalised, with a livery change.
  • Hornby should change it to a "Special Edition"

As for the £40 donation per model, it means that after VAT has been removed, along with the £40, then Hornby are left with about £20.  Selling direct means they don't have to allocate a percentage for retailers and £20 might cover costs.  Just.

• Like 9
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Speculators probably, hoping to make a quick buck. I am glad that Hornby have increased the availability, It is good to believe that there will be a sizeable donation to the NHS out of this. I will own mine with pride and give it the best sound decoder I can and get some lights fitted.

Edited by 7013
grammar
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, 7013 said:

Speculators probably, hoping to make a quick buck. I am glad that Hornby have increased the availability, It is good to believe that there will be a sizeable donation to the NHS out of this. I will own mine with pride and give it the best sound decoder I can and get some lights fitted.

I am going to get mine mounted nicely in a nice display case and present to my Son (Doctor) this Christmas :wub:

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

22 minutes ago, 7013 said:

Had to be careful about refreshing the page and pressing pre-order, at one stage I had five on order! Thankfully just the one ordered now.

If it was on the cloud & configured correctly, this wouldn't happen.

To explain that: cloud providers offer a service called auto-scaling. At busy times, you get more resources, then when things go quiet again, they shut down, leaving you with only what you need...& you only pay for what you use when you use it.

It is a lot more efficient than having a room full of web servers doing very little for 90% of the time, & you lose far less business than having a smaller number of servers than what you need when things get busy.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I've just managed to secure one which is now part of a run of 2500.

I don't usually do modern traction as a rule, but this model is an exception given Hornby's superb and very generous gesture to a worthy cause.

Let's see how many of the original  orders are now cancelled by eBay speculators.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

Managed to order mine this morning, not a great fan of the overall livery tbh but it was a purchase I felt had to be made. Well done Hornby on the quick decision to get this produced and for the donation that will be made. 

• Like 5

Glad Hornby keep increasing the numbers. Really BAD that people are now cancelling these orders now its not 500 models. I wouldnt care if it was 100,000 I would still want 1 (which I finally managed to bag after 2hrs of constantly trying yesterday). I got as its still an unique loco that any true collector or railway modeller would want to own. Also to say a HUGE THANK YOU to Tom for his magnificent thought of doing what hes achieved. Setting out for £1000 to donate to NHS & breaking all records with the MILLIONS of £s is outstanding. Well done to you from the entire nation. Hornby should look into closely peoples accounts if they cancel, and these people should be black listed as PROFIT CHASING CARPET BAGGERS. They destroy our hobby by stopping the normal people from purchasing any limited run models. They need to be ashamed of themselves especially with this model and the donation to the NHS.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

I managed to order one last night. I spent a couple of hours on the site trying to get one! I think everyone who has bought this loco will remember it for a long time to come given how significant this situation has been and how amazing Col. Tom Moore has been in his fundraising. :) It's lovely to know that so much of the money made from these is going to the NHS charities as well - an amazing thing to do.

-Peter

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 30801 said:

Some of the moaning on the Hornby Facebook page about expanding the limited edition is astonishing with people saying they are cancelling their order now it's more than 500.

I told SWMBO about it. I can't repeat what she said but it wasn't very lady-like.

My SWMBO says the same. 

Could Hornby make people who cancel pay an 'admin fee' of £40.00  and donate to the NHS charity's?  That would sort the  greedy ebay crowds.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, irishmail said:

My SWMBO says the same. 

Could Hornby make people who cancel pay an 'admin fee' of £40.00  and donate to the NHS charity's?  That would sort the  greedy ebay crowds.

Not retrospectively - such a clause would have been required to be published before they went on sale.

Even then its quite possible that someone from the legal trade could mount a successful challenge as consumer protection laws have been strengthened in recent years and any cancellation charge has to be proportionate to the costs involved in the cancellation process (i.e. admin time, card fees, etc)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Lets not get dragged into rights and wrongs of people changing their mind,

66731 has a place in history, and only buying the model now (not 2nd hand in the future) makes it poignant to the current event.. and your own sense of feeling... your able to proudly say ”Look I contributed, I took part”.

The focus is on the collective achievement. Theres a big sum of cash being raised here for the NHS now.

2500 models in 24 hours shows the strength of feeling in the hobby towards wanting to do contribute something, and in a unique way that Hornby has enabled us to.

And if you want a further sense, look on twitter at the scenes at various depots and signing on points yesterday where staff were flashing lights / sounding horns enmasse in Capt Toms honour.. 73202 was a bit of a disco with a headboard on SL depot with fireworks going off behind !

People in the industry and the hobby care, they want to show it.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 6

The Hornby Facebook page is quite frankly an embarrassment, I would suggest that you don't look unless you particularly want to feel angry. A mixture of people annoyed at the website, not happy that we can all have a model, or unhappy that it is Hornby making it!!

£100k to the NHS, plus you get a nice commemorative model of the hope and spirit shown during the worst time (collectively) in living memory. I don't get the moaning, this has genuinely made me very happy.

Edited by ac1874
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3

I think the Hornby site is down again at the moment.  I ordered the Class 66 this morning - they are actually limited to two per customer - I only wanted one, but a message flashed up as I ordered. Tremendous donation by Hornby.

• Like 1

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I’ve ordered one of these and I don’t even have a layout, though I’ve been thinking about building one for a while (had my last one when I was about 10, so about 30 years ago).

that said the 66 doesn’t really fit in with my plan anyway, as my layout would be 80’s/early 90’s freight (probably based around the Three Bridges are as it’s close to me) but hey ho, rule 1!

And of course it’s a fantastic cause! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ac1874 said:

The Hornby Facebook page is quite frankly an embarrassment, I would suggest that you don't look unless you particularly want to feel angry. A mixture of people annoyed at the website, not happy that we can all have a model, or unhappy that it is Hornby making it!!

Its the Facebook mentality.  They wear their hearts on their fingertips, and like a certain national "leader" post before they think.  (Not like RMwebbers, you understand!).

Here's something to upset the "Oh I got one of the 500 Ltd. Ed. Class 66 locos crowd".  Hornby have now upped the production run to 3000, so if anyone wants the chance to get a model loco and make a significant contribution to NHS charities, the opportunity is still there.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Here's something to upset the "Oh I got one of the 500 Ltd. Ed. Class 66 locos crowd".  Hornby have now upped the production run to 3000, so if anyone wants the chance to get a model loco and make a significant contribution to NHS charities, the opportunity is still there.

:)

my-precious-its-mine-all-mine-my-precious-its-mine-53842258.png.8f2e65c8c981d615c71d699613f4bff0.png

• Funny 1

6 hours ago, phil gollin said:

Surely the livery is wrong, it should be "Colonel Tom Moore" ?

Hi Phil

Confused me too, but my understanding now is that Captain Tom has been made the Honorary  Colonel of the Army Foundation College in Harrogate, rathed than promoted to Colonel.  Still a nice honour though.

He should of course be Captain Sir Tom....

• Agree 2

Perhaps Hornby should have taken a £20 non refundable deposit on these.  As has been implied, it seems like there were a number of carpet baggers.  Perhaps there still are.  I really would hate for Hornby to get it's fingers burned on these and have some unsold seeing it seems like they're producing them at little more than cost.  And how awful it would be to see them chucked into the bargain bins.

• Agree 3

Basically whatever Hornby do will displease someone.   Too few and why can't I have, too many and it's not a limited edition anymore!  Does it really matter.  Some will probably be the same that will moan when it arrives that it's a basic model with no lights etc.  Hornby cannot win with this one, but good on them I say, the more they sell the more goes to charity, and yes, I did manage to get one of the first 500, do I care, no.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

13 minutes ago, robf said:

Basically whatever Hornby do will displease someone.   Too few and why can't I have, too many and it's not a limited edition anymore!  Does it really matter.  Some will probably be the same that will moan when it arrives that it's a basic model with no lights etc.  Hornby cannot win with this one, but good on them I say, the more they sell the more goes to charity, and yes, I did manage to get one of the first 500, do I care, no.

I think overall they have won. They would have lost if they left it at just 500. Yeah model is too basic for me, does not fit in with era etc. But that is not my motivations for buying it. It is a wonderful gesture and something positive to remember from this epoque.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

I think overall they have won. They would have lost if they left it at just 500. Yeah model is too basic for me, does not fit in with era etc. But that is not my motivations for buying it. It is a wonderful gesture and something positive to remember from this epoque.

I think based on the state of the website collapsing under the weight of people trying to buy them that the moaners are in the minority.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, KDG said:

He should of course be Captain Sir Tom....

Absolutely, I suspect he has collected more for charity in the last few weeks than any entertainer has ever done in their lives........isn’t that the criteria nowadays?

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1