Hornby Class 66 NHS ltd edition

Garry D100

• RMweb Premium

As an aside I see that GWR have named one of the their Class 800s in Captain Moore's honour (he served in the South West).  I'll have a tenner on this being included in the 2021 range with my returns going to the NHS.

• Like 2

I think it's fantastic that this model has sold so well. The small minority that appear upset that 'their' limited edition has been opened up to all have completely missed the point that this is a chance to own a model that contributes to a good cause. It is not premium priced and in these days of batch production and so often disappointed customers how fantastic that they are basically saying 'if you order them we will make them and each one is another £40 for the cause'.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 30/04/2020 at 17:47, JSpencer said:

God their website is rubbish. Impossible to find the loco. I searched under Moore, R30069, NHS

Just search for R30039 and it works.

If you can't get on the web page they are also taking orders over the phone.  This is the e mail I got from Hornby this morning:

Hi, 

After a very long night of the team trying hard to keep the website up and following such an unprecedented demand for the Class 66 model we are pleased to confirm a production run of 2020 models with £80,000 of the sales going to the NHS. If you weren't able to pre-order yesterday please try again today via the website or our Customer Services Team on 01843233502.

Thank you for your patience and support.

Yours Sincerely

Jessica Cornish

Customer Services Manager
T:+44 (0)1843 233502
www.hornbyhobbies.co.uk

Edited by Colin_McLeod
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, robf said:

Basically whatever Hornby do will displease someone.   Too few and why can't I have, too many and it's not a limited edition anymore!  Does it really matter.  Some will probably be the same that will moan when it arrives that it's a basic model with no lights etc.  Hornby cannot win with this one, but good on them I say, the more they sell the more goes to charity, and yes, I did manage to get one of the first 500, do I care, no.

Didn’t even need to be a “limited edition” , like Cap Tom it shows the enthusiasm of people to support a genuinely good cause, the more sold the better I say.

Its a great gesture by Hornby.

• Like 3
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

I finally managed to pre order Captain Tom.

Well done Hornby. Given the size of the donation to NHS it looks like you are selling "at cost plus donation".

Regarding limited edition, it does not matter to me whether you make tens of thousands of these; the charitable idea of this loco is far greater than any 'collectors item' value.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

43 minutes ago, Mooresby said:

As an aside I see that GWR have named one of the their Class 800s in Captain Moore's honour (he served in the South West).  I'll have a tenner on this being included in the 2021 range with my returns going to the NHS.

I'd maybe have one although I don't have any regional interest in GWR. Could buy a discounted LNER one and donate the difference in price charity instead I suppose.

2 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

any 'collectors item' value.

And as I think I said on the Hattons thread before it all got deleted, the attitude of the collector's value flies in the face of the spirit of the model, the livery and the name on it.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I'd maybe have one although I don't have any regional interest in GWR. Could buy a discounted LNER one and donate the difference in price charity instead I suppose.

The whole set would look rather nice mounted on track in a long display case, they are quite handsome sets.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

I finally managed to pre order Captain Tom.

Well done Hornby. Given the size of the donation to NHS it looks like you are selling "at cost plus donation".

Regarding limited edition, it does not matter to me whether you make tens of thousands of these; the charitable idea of this loco is far greater than any 'collectors item' value.

I ordered (successful) when it was a 500 run. But, I’m SO pleased it’s passed 2500 and onwards! As the governor of New York said “it’s not about the I, it’s about the WE” WELL DONE Hornby and support OUR NHS!!!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, JSpencer said:

I think overall they have won. They would have lost if they left it at just 500. Yeah model is too basic for me, does not fit in with era etc. But that is not my motivations for buying it. It is a wonderful gesture and something positive to remember from this epoque.

Exactly the same for me, i bought one of the original 500, i couldnt care less if they made 20,000.  I bought it for the sentiment it represents, i probably wont even bother fitting lights of a decoder to it.

• Like 2

Hornbys website has taken a nosedive again.

780618959_HornbyOMG.jpg.ce2e0c576a1f43665555a1442d58c3d1.jpg

but as mentioned below by AY Mod, its up and down, just try again in a couple of minutes.

I suppose there's a physical limit of the number of R30069 models that they can produce before it impacts on their pre-covid19 programme.  3000 Class 66 locos must be close to the number that the factory turning out the Class 66 models will be able to produce for the Autumn 2020 delivery date.

With the best will in the world, they're going to have to say "we can do no more!" at some point.

But it will have been a magnificent effort!

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Hornbys website has taken a nosedive again.

It's a bit on/off but when you do get past that screen the site is performing much more healthily this evening. I've just ordered one simply to support the initiative.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Was going to respray a Bachmann Model to sell with the proceeds of the sale being donated to the NHS ..... think I'll still go ahead with it as some people prefer a higher spec model .... might even add sound to it ......... anyways feel free to follow its progress on my workbench thread.

Hats off to Hornby for doing this though and for their donation ... stay safe everyone.

Ben

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well I just ordered one of the NHS specials - for the same reason as Andy -and it took about 4 minutes from start to finish. Really good of Hornby to do this, and to do so many, I am sure their balance sheet would have been much healthier if they had just kept to the original number, and used the manufacturing slots to commission models that would have made them more money. Well done Hornby!

All the very best

Godfrey

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

It took a lot of persistence and perseverence, but after 2 hours I finally received confirmation of a pre-order of Major ... sorry, Captain Tom ...

It's sort of one of those 'must have' locomotives, in view of the current situation, which won't fully roll over for several years, probably, so very valid.

Loved seeing the Memorial Flight flypast as well.

Al.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Couldn't resist, website worked without problem, and pre-order is done.

Will probably wobble less then it's more expensive and more detailed sister....

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Godfrey Glyn said:

used the manufacturing slots to commission models

Exactly, that's something a lot of people don't take into account. Even if they are making a small amount of money/breaking even/whatever the financial holes left from a sales perspective (i.e. some people's £75 on this model will be £75 not spent on a different one) or as you say from a production perspective and not making other ones that won't cost them a £40 donation.

It really is a great gesture on their part IMO.

• Agree 3

23 hours ago, KDG said:

Quite sad I missed out on this.

I didn't log in to RMWeb yesterday so wasn't aware of it, that will teach me....

As others have said, I wouldn't

normally buy a Hornby class 66, but this is a great initiative by Hornby and it would have been a good way to remember Capt Tom's efforts and help NHS charities.  I wouldn't touch a resold one off eBay though......

If you sign up to Hornby's email newsletter, then you'll get updates generally (slightly) before RMweb, and you don't have to keep an eye on this site. That said, this is a pretty exceptional announcement...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Godfrey Glyn said:

Well I just ordered one of the NHS specials - for the same reason as Andy -and it took about 4 minutes from start to finish. Really good of Hornby to do this, and to do so many, I am sure their balance sheet would have been much healthier if they had just kept to the original number, and used the manufacturing slots to commission models that would have made them more money. Well done Hornby!

All the very best

Godfrey

It just proves there is more to life than money and more to business than pure profit.........Hornby should be feeling very proud as a company.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Not sure if this question has been asked but do you think Hornby may have exclusive rights with GBRf/Partners to model the prototype in this livery?

With the massive support given for this Hornby NHS Class 66 you would think Hattons (not sure about Bachmann) would jump on it and offer the same thing with a donation but on their super detailed Class 66 but yes it would probably be limited to 500 due to price, but having said that it would be a nice gesture if it can happen.