Hornby Class 66 NHS ltd edition

Garry D100

1 minute ago, classy52 said:

Not sure if this question has been asked but do you think Hornby may have exclusive rights with GBRf/Partners to model the prototype in this livery?

With the massive support given for this Hornby NHS Class 66 you would think Hattons (not sure about Bachmann) would jump on it and offer the same thing with a donation but on their super detailed Class 66 but yes it would probably be limited to 500 due to price, but having said that it would be a nice gesture if it can happen. 

One thing that will be more difficult for Hattons' will be the fact they haven't got anything in the pipeline (we know about) to get around any MOQs. The 6 on their own will probably be past the stage they can be ridden on the back of.

The Hornby one looks like it's being made alongside (and possibly at the expense of) their 2020 66s.

The other issues specific to Hattons I think is that because they are direct sell only they'll probably have less margin to begin with so donation probably can't be as big proportionately which may face criticism (wrongly). Also if they don't get the problems sorted out they'd end up with returned locos that aren't offset by ones they made money on meaning it would probably just cost them a ton of money.

• Informative/Useful 1

Just checked Hornby website. It's working as normal just now. Put in the search box R30069. It comes up with the model. Maybe if someone couldnt find earlier it was because they had sold out of their numbers. But it is now up to 3000 models. So hopefully those who haven't yet managed to bag 1 of these SPECIAL models will have success this morning. If the site goes down again hopefully it wont take long to get going again. Just please keep trying for this wonderful model and gesture by Hornby donating £40 each to the NHS. And to Capt (which he prefers to be known by) Tom Moore I agree with several earlier posts by people he should be KNIGHTED and become a Sir. 

• Agree 1

I agree with @Eddie Robb; keep trying when buying this model. If the site goes down on you and get a 502 or 504 error, leave it on that page (don't refresh) and it will let you in eventually. Just in case anyone is having any issues - it worked for me :D

-Peter

• RMweb Gold

I managed to order mine without much problem but there again it was 2am :P.  I wonder how many will run on layouts or remain “virgin”, remaining in their box and stored away, I know mine will.

• RMweb Gold

cue BBC Antiques roadshow in 2070.

Please queue here for porcelain, here for grandfather clocks, here for sideboards, here for watches and here for Hornby NHS 66s!

Mine will be on display with the rest of my 66s but probably not run 

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, jools1959 said:

I managed to order mine without much problem but there again it was 2am :P.  I wonder how many will run on layouts or remain “virgin”, remaining in their box and stored away, I know mine will.

I probably won't run mine as I don't like the Hornby model enough to run. I might if my son or daughter get the bug give it to them if they have a layout or to run on my layout. I don't think Hattons 66s will get along with children somehow.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I will run mine, on my layout, and it will proudly take its place alongside my other locos.

Edited by 7013
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Administrators
7 hours ago, CuriousPeach6 said:

I agree with @Eddie Robb; keep trying when buying this model. If the site goes down on you and get a 502 or 504 error, leave it on that page (don't refresh) and it will let you in eventually. Just in case anyone is having any issues - it worked for me

4 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I managed to order mine without much problem but there again it was 2am 

Apparently the Hornby web site support team were working until 1:30am re-coding the database. There's now a banner on the home page, or you can use the link:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/gbrf-class-66-captain-tom-moore-a-true-british-inspiration.html

I've tested it and it works. Model ordered in a couple of minutes.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Apparently the Hornby web site support team were working until 1:30am re-coding the database. There's now a banner on the home page, or you can use the link:

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/gbrf-class-66-captain-tom-moore-a-true-british-inspiration.html

I've tested it and it works. Model ordered in a couple of minutes.

I've just seen that - yes. It's nice that they're increasing the number of models being made as demand increases but it has lead me to wonder whether they should have just taken pre-orders and then seen how many they had to make? I have no clue how this part of model manufacturing works and would be very appreciative of anyone who could let me know it does work.

-Peter

35 minutes ago, CuriousPeach6 said:

pre-orders and then seen how many they had to make?

I think so. Should have had a deadline and left it so people could order at their leisure. Whether there would be financial implications of leaving it open ended (I.e. selling more than they could make/could afford to make) I don't know.

I haven't been checking forums much of late, just too much going on and its slipped off my to do list, so I very nearly missed this. So much for my efforts to not spend money frivolously, however this is a good cause and a heartwarming one to have watched Captain Moore raise funds for the NHS. My family is almost all in the UK, so I've been watching closely how things are there as much as I am here at home. He's a true inspiration and I am happy to put some money to the NHS and add this model to my collection.

Stephen

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

What’s amazed me is that for a limited edition model, you can order on the website as many as you want.  Which means when all the Hornby stock has gone, you’ll start seeing them on internet sites and on traders tables at inflated prices!  

Hopefully with the large amount being produced instead of the original 500, then sent out directly to customers, most people who want one, will get one.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jools1959 said:

What’s amazed me is that for a limited edition model, you can order on the website as many as you want.  Which means when all the Hornby stock has gone, you’ll start seeing them on internet sites and on traders tables at inflated prices!  

Hopefully with the large amount being produced instead of the original 500, then sent out directly to customers, most people who want one, will get one.

As a great many people, me included, are ordering solely in order to enable the contribution to the NHS, people buying on any 'after market' should keep in mind that purchases from almost anyone other than Hornby will not trigger a contribution.

Congratulations to Hornby on this generous initiative and well done to everyone  who has ordered including those who have bought purely for the sake of the donation.

Regards,

John

Edited by Brit70053
Clarification
  • Like 2

Guest Half-full
2 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Im sure I read Hornby where limiting sales to 2 per person.

There is no doubt they'll end up for sale at high prices, doesn't mean anyone has to buy them though!

• RMweb Gold

Lets hope, given the reason why its been made, that everyone whom has ordered one, is still around to receive them.

This model is being made for areason, and its not just for pleasure or profit.

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Lets hope, given the reason why its been made, that everyone whom has ordered one, is still around to receive them.

This model is being made for areason, and its not just for pleasure or profit.

There's nothing like a little ray of sunshine to brighten our days is there?

• Like 3
  • Funny 5

8 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Anyone who buys from Ebay will only be indirectly supporting the charity - If the price is inflated you can almost bet it will go into the pocket of the seller.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Anyone who buys from Ebay will only be indirectly supporting the charity - If the price is inflated you can almost bet it will go into the pocket of the seller.

I was of the state of mind whereby if I could not order from Hornby (I have) then ok, fair enough, I missed it and a chance to support the NHS. There is absolutely no way I would have gone tracing one down on E-bay. I think most people buying them are doing so as a souvenir to support the NHS rather than as something they must have for their collection/model railway. 

• Agree 2

19 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I think so. Should have had a deadline and left it so people could order at their leisure. Whether there would be financial implications of leaving it open ended (I.e. selling more than they could make/could afford to make) I don't know.

That would've been a good idea - yes. I don't know everything about how that would work so I'm in the same boat as you there. :)

-Peter

I managed to order mine before the site went crazy. Not really right for my layout but who cares,it’s for a good cause. I assume that it’s Dcc compatible and will probably get a TSS decoder for my grandsons entertainment when i run it.

11 hours ago, jools1959 said:

well hopefully the intention of such buyers will be to donate the inflated profit back to the cause especially if some have been buying up 4 or 5 models in one go stopping others getting one......

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ThaneofFife said:

well hopefully the intention of such buyers will be to donate the inflated profit back to the cause especially if some have been buying up 4 or 5 models in one go stopping others getting one......

I doubt that will be the case though.