Hornby Class 66 NHS ltd edition

Garry D100

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 6412 said:

I managed to order mine before the site went crazy. Not really right for my layout but who cares,it’s for a good cause. I assume that it’s Dcc compatible and will probably get a TSS decoder for my grandsons entertainment when i run it.

Does the decoder come with a siren and control blue flashing lights?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ThaneofFife said:

well hopefully the intention of such buyers will be to donate the inflated profit back to the cause especially if some have been buying up 4 or 5 models in one go stopping others getting one......

Lol yeah lets hope so ...... oh look .... a flying pig ...........

Come on seriously - the reason they'd do it is to make money - charity is the furthest thing from their thoughts .....

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ruggedpeak said:

For info Railtec have launched the transfers and nameplates for those who want to DIY or perhaps can't afford a new loco right now:

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=4107

https://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=4106

Quote from their page "All proceeds will go to the NHS."

Great, thanks for that......don’t really need them but ordered anyway.......if the Hornby results are not so good then these will be handy just in case.....well done Railtec.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

There's nothing like a little ray of sunshine to brighten our days is there?

The page is filled with comments about how to make money from this model, berating Hornby for increasing sales volumes, or how much Hornby is “allegedly” making... yet I get called out for highlighting the human aspect...

ive been a mass supporter since the first page, to me it means more than money, forgive me if I’m holding the wrong script. I thought this was about helping people via the NHS, again, not financially for themselves.

There’s a lot of suffering going on right now, I know exactly how it feels, I felt an identical situation, with someone who gave 20 years to this very hobby, and represented in a wide geography. He lost his life in near identical circumstances, just 3 years ago.. and he freely gave his spare time, outside the hobby,  to the NHS for free for several year, not for financial gain. He would have done the right thing then, I’m trying to do it now.

My little one is ecstatic about this model, and cpt Tom, and the real loco, she doesn’t care what it costs. But she’s scared praying every night that no one in our family goes through what her grandad went through.

I’m obviously in it for the wrong reasons, apologies for standing up to you, but I feel differently about this model, and don’t have much sentiment for those discussing the financials of this model, But more for those who suffer loss because of wider reasons that requires the needs of it. 

sure enjoy it, if it makes you get suns rays from accumulating value in it, but I didn’t understand why it’s wrong to not think about the ongoing consequences that necessitates it. Realising a high price on ebay of a model isn’t a substitute for losing a close person who used to own it... ive experience there too.

Hornbys doing this model for the right reasons, and I am hugely supportive of that. But I am left, after reading tolerated comments, wondering if those buying it are.

stay safe, support this model, whatever your reason.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 7
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Well put adb

I would like to think in a world filled with rainbows and lolly pop trees that those who are buying more than one model may be doing it to buy for friends and family, work colleagues etc but sadly I suspect in some cases it’s to try and turn a profit on the ‘extras’ 

if you weren’t an enthusiast and not aware of the model, when we come out of the crisis you may by chance come across one on eBay or facebook etc while scrolling for something else, decide you like the look of it and buy it at an Unknowingly inflated price which is probably what the sellers are banking on, let’s hope that when some do appear for inflated prices the sellers are stuck with them (in a similar way to those who bought toilet roll and hand sanitizer to profit are now stuck with them!) 

all speculation of course 

• Like 1

There has been mention of buying numerous models for profit? When I ordered mine a few days ago, a window popped up saying "Limited to two models per customer" -  I'm not sure what would have happened if you had tried to order, say five. I only wanted one.

23 minutes ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

There has been mention of buying numerous models for profit? When I ordered mine a few days ago, a window popped up saying "Limited to two models per customer" -  I'm not sure what would have happened if you had tried to order, say five. I only wanted one.

This was supposedly hailed as only being available from Hornby direct with the intention that the profits go direct to the NHS from the company. 

A good search on-line reveals that this loco is available to order at quite a few UK outlets.

This may have accounted for the original 500 announced L/E being sold out very quickly.

I suppose it all depends if these outlets are being supplied directly by Hornby or have ordered them online using the link advert.

Personally, I think that increasing the run to 3500 units was a very fair and shrewd move on Hornby's part.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Agree 4

I've been reading "The First One Hundred Years" Hornby book by Pat Hammond.

For those who think 3000 or thereabouts isn't a "Limited Edition", there have been Hornby Limited Editions with more models than that!

Be good, and keep yourselves safe...

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Tonights round-up.

PLEASE NOTE

We have fully sold out of the planned production run of this model.

However we are aware that some people will cancel their order before we dispatch them.

Therefore we are operating a waiting list. We will accept a small number of 'waiting list pre-orders'.

If you place an order now, you will reserve your place in the waiting list queue - we will only supply a model to you and charge your card if enough people ahead of you cancel their orders.

Your card will NOT be charged unless we are able to ship the model to you and you will only be charged at that time.

(Please Note: Unfortunately, we will not be able to advise you in advance of a successful move from waiting list to confirmed order.)

Hornby went up to 3500 before deciding to call it a day, which is a pretty marvellous figure, seeing as the model was only announced on Thursday.  Even more marvellous is the £140,000 that will go to NHS charities thanks to this model.

As Hornby has decided to allow a "small number of 'waiting list pre-orders'", there is a chance to get one if any of the carpet-bagger/disappointed that there were more than 500 models cohort decide to reveal their true colours and cancel.

Three Cheers for Hornby!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hroth said:

Tonights round-up.

Hornby went up to 3500 before deciding to call it a day, which is a pretty marvellous figure, seeing as the model was only announced on Thursday.  Even more marvellous is the £140,000 that will go to NHS charities thanks to this model.

As Hornby has decided to allow a "small number of 'waiting list pre-orders'", there is a chance to get one if any of the carpet-bagger/disappointed that there were more than 500 models cohort decide to reveal their true colours and cancel.

Three Cheers for Hornby!

Indeed they need to be careful. They could have ended up with initially 5000 orders but the loco won't arrive until the autumn and there could be a lot of people who change their minds (the craze goes out of fashion) or - worse - find themselves unable to afford it due to the economic fallout. Another possibility is that Hattons or Bachmann do one causing some people to switch allegiance.

I'm sticking with mine. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 03/05/2020 at 19:55, cambo74 said:

Lol yeah lets hope so ...... oh look .... a flying pig ...........

Come on seriously - the reason they'd do it is to make money - charity is the furthest thing from their thoughts .....

That is probably true, but playing Devil's advocate here, (given that the production run has been greatly increased to give people a better chance of securing a model) does it really matter ? Anyone buying five models has made five contributions to the NHS, whether they wanted or intended to or not.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, caradoc said:

Anyone buying five models has made five contributions to the NHS, whether they wanted or intended to or not.

I think the point is that then selling them for further profit (without donating any of the profits to the NHS charities in all likelihood) is a bit naff on all counts.

It's a bit like ticket touts to be honest.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

A good search on-line reveals that this loco is available to order at quite a few UK outlets.

This may have accounted for the original 500 announced L/E being sold out very quickly.

I suppose it all depends if these outlets are being supplied directly by Hornby or have ordered them online using the link advert.

It's probably a bit of both - I know some retailers have ordered from the website, but as well as this, we did get an email from our sales rep yesterday who had a very limited number available but without any trade discount - if you wanted them, you ordered them at full RRP. I feel that this is more than fair, as Hornby are making a substantial donation to charity which would be way less if they were offered to the trade at normal discount.

(of course, if some are to be believed, trade discount is 99% and most retailers are driving gold Rolls Royces) ;)

• Like 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Derails Models said:

It's probably a bit of both - I know some retailers have ordered from the website, but as well as this, we did get an email from our sales rep yesterday who had a very limited number available but without any trade discount - if you wanted them, you ordered them at full RRP. I feel that this is more than fair, as Hornby are making a substantial donation to charity which would be way less if they were offered to the trade at normal discount.

(of course, if some are to be believed, trade discount is 99% and most retailers are driving gold Rolls Royces) ;)

Presumably it’s the latest Phantom I hope? :lol:

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, 30801 said:

So we can most likely surmise the IP on the logos is being made freely available (if only to charitable versions) so the way might be clear for Bachmann to do a super detailed model?

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, JSpencer said:

Indeed they need to be careful. They could have ended up with initially 5000 orders but the loco won't arrive until the autumn and there could be a lot of people who change their minds (the craze goes out of fashion) or - worse - find themselves unable to afford it due to the economic fallout. Another possibility is that Hattons or Bachmann do one causing some people to switch allegiance.

I'm sticking with mine. 

It looks like Hornby have the production capacity to do this with one of their suppliers . I doubt Hattons and Bachmann/Kader could move so quickly to get something in production by the autumn . Bachmann have just published their model releases through to Jan 2021.   Good for Hornby , while I don't think there are any alternatives , it could eat into sales of their existing 66s . The fact that they've upped the volumes thereby giving more to charity is too their credit.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

9 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I think the point is that then selling them for further profit (without donating any of the profits to the NHS charities in all likelihood) is a bit naff on all counts.

It's a bit like ticket touts to be honest.

True, but in this case the demand for the model was such that Hornby have increased the production run several times, so the profiteers have contributed both to the cause and to scuppering their money-making plans !

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 05/05/2020 at 11:36, boxbrownie said:

So we can most likely surmise the IP on the logos is being made freely available (if only to charitable versions) so the way might be clear for Bachmann to do a super detailed model?

Might be related to scale. The Dapol one, is of course in N, and they may have gotten the rights on the basis its not competing with Hornby,

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

I see Captain Tom has also been given a Gold Blue Peter badge!

(He likes Blue Peter, he says he remembers the Elephant...)

:lol: Everybody remembers the Elephant.......slippy slide Mr Keeper :lol:

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/05/2020 at 11:12, 7013 said:

Had to be careful about refreshing the page and pressing pre-order, at one stage I had five on order! Thankfully just the one ordered now.

I had a similar experience.   After much patience I eventually reached the Checkout page to find I had two in the Basket.    When I clicked to remove one the page disappeared, and I had to start all over, only to find they were now sold out.  Luckily the production number was increased and I was later able to log in again.  Big sigh of relief and much joy when that pre-order for one loco was eventually confirmed!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3