Hornby Class 66 NHS ltd edition

Garry D100

Do you think we should write to Hornby and get a petition going for them to produce any more? To be fair to Hornby they increased production from 500 to a 1,000 and then up to 3,000.

Just wonder how many they could sell?

All the best stay safe.

Best,

Chris

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, Chrisjh said:

Do you think we should write to Hornby and get a petition going for them to produce any more? To be fair to Hornby they increased production from 500 to a 1,000 and then up to 3,000.

Just wonder how many they could sell?

I think this is a terrific gesture by Hornby but ultimately they are a business and the more of these they produce, the less production slots are available for models that actually make some money (this one doesn't) to keep them going. If anyone just wants to boost the NHS Charities Together funds, you can donate at any time.

• Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/05/2020 at 10:06, boxbrownie said:

Great, thanks for that......don’t really need them but ordered anyway.......if the Hornby results are not so good then these will be handy just in case.....well done Railtec.

Railtec transfers arrived today, and they look excellent.....especially impressed with the “3D” transfers, now to wait for the model to arrive.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Railtec transfers arrived today, and they look excellent.....especially impressed with the “3D” transfers, now to wait for the model to arrive.

For those who like myself may wish to add more detail to this loco, Railtec also produce a generic Class 66 transfer sleeve (product no 1035) for the princely sum of £3.90.

Sufficient decals to cover 3 locos.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Will they change it to "Sir Colonel Tom Moore" - is that even correct nomenclature?

There's a Welsh one, now and English 'Sir Tom' !!

Al.

Given the real loco is still running round with "Captain Tom More" on it there is zero reason to change the name of the model.

In any case I believe that while Tom, is grateful for all these extra honorary titles, he actually still prefers the title of Capitan - possibly because that rank was obtained during his active service.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Given the real loco is still running round with "Captain Tom More" on it there is zero reason to change the name of the model.

They definitely do need to change it if they have spelt his name wrong! 

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Could always consider changing the nameplate to its new reflection, and auction the old for the NHS ?

(though I’d consider giving Captain Tom the other plate).

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Will they change it to "Sir Colonel Tom Moore" - is that even correct nomenclature?

There's a Welsh one, now and English 'Sir Tom' !!

Al.

Just to be pedantic, I think it would be "Colonel Sir Tom Moore". but I concur with the comments made by @phil-b259 above (other than the spelling :))...

Edited by 3rd Rail Exile
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I hope they leave it as is. I don't think I could cope with the loco coming out with the original name plate and all the moans on here that it "wasn't right"...

Especially after I received the 3D etched plates only a couple of days ago.......do Railtec take returns for being too fast to order? :lol:

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Could always consider changing the nameplate to its new reflection, and auction the old for the NHS ?

(though I’d consider giving Captain Tom the other plate).

No worries, there’s always a spare cast, just in case.......

1 hour ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

Just to be pedantic, I think it would be "Colonel Sir Tom Moore". but I concur with the comments made by @phil-b259 above (other than the spelling :))...

Totally correct. I was toying with which way around it would be - with the typical limited time and 'couldn't be bothered to Google it' mentality of modern life!

Al.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Its an interesting thing.  The use of a officer rank of Captain and higher once out of the army (and it generally was the Army, rather less the Navy* or RAF) seemed to peter out through the 1950s, I suppose as a reflection of more "egalitarian" times.  I don't know if Captain Tom is a usage of family affection or what, "Tom" certainly is, but now it all seems to have stuck!  The Colonelcy is purely an honorific, like an honorary degree, its something the recipient treasures unto themselves.

If still a Captain the style would be  "Captain Sir Thomas Moore" and in civilian speak "Sir Thomas Moore".

No matter what, he's still a very gallant gentleman!

* It used to be that once a naval officer hit Admiral rank, he was an admiral, come hell or high water until he died.  Of course the Navy would pass over him for younger admirals for sea command once he was retired/past it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

No worries, there’s always a spare cast, just in case.......

I believe that when locos are named, the spare is given to the person/organisation it is named after/who names it. See also B17 nameplates at football clubs, and Bulleid light Pacfic plates at west country town halls. 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, JohnR said:

I believe that when locos are named, the spare is given to the person/organisation it is named after/who names it. See also B17 nameplates at football clubs, and Bulleid light Pacfic plates at west country town halls. 

Might be the protocol now but back in the 70/80s my Uncle managed to errr find several plates which were still in store from earlier as spares, he was a top link driver and had mates everywhere :D

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, JohnR said:

Yes, the "spare" nameplate for Shaftesbury is hanging above the staircase in the Town Hall. At Whitgift School (30916), it was hidden away somewhere in storage but came out to be displayed on a wall in 1974 after we formed a school railway society.

4 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Might be the protocol now but back in the 70/80s my Uncle managed to errr find several plates which were still in store from earlier as spares, he was a top link driver and had mates everywhere :D

I think it was at Redhill (maybe Tonbridge) that a muddy area of the shed was dealt with by making a footpath of nameplates. They were "liberated".

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I think it was at Redhill (maybe Tonbridge) that a muddy area of the shed was dealt with by making a footpath of nameplates. They were "liberated".

Nooooo :o.......oh well I am sure they found a good home and got a decent scrub up eventually.......

• RMweb Gold
On 20/05/2020 at 16:00, Joseph_Pestell said:

Yes, the "spare" nameplate for Shaftesbury is hanging above the staircase in the Town Hall. At Whitgift School (30916), it was hidden away somewhere in storage but came out to be displayed on a wall in 1974 after we formed a school railway society.

Railwayana industry never ceases to amaze.

it was built out of a large % of nicked stuff, that has never been investigated and rightly should be owned by the state, tax payers, unless proven legitimately acquired.

It has Provided a legitimised money laundry service to dispose of them at substantially high value over the years (Has inland revenue ever looked at railwayana capital gains ?). It Is prolific with fakes of many aspects. But post steam era and in more recent memory has become a more legitimate source for modern railway items sold by TOCs but ultimately lower value than the older stuff of more questionable origin, which in normal economics would be inverse.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2