Hornby Class 66 NHS ltd edition

Garry D100

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Rockalaucher101 said:

I don't have the money in my account for it right now. Hopefully I don't miss out and lose the pre-order.

Probably best to contact Hornby ASAP. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JohnR said:

Out of curiosity, which courier? Royal Mail?

Mine is coming DPD tomorrow.

Edit: Ok, having read the last post, mine could be a lockdown repair also!

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

one produced in a large quantity

I think it would be a different story if they had stuck to the 500. Luckily they didn't.

I hope everyone who wanted one got one of the 3500.

I am going to keep mine in the box (after I have tested it) and give it to one of (or both) my kids if they get the bug, if they don't after a few years (they are 4 and 1) then I will probably tart it up.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

in your same vein, all Captain Tom did was walk down his garden, how hard is that.. its the thought, impact that counts.

I would imagine its very difficult when you are 99 years old, and you just keep going with great determination.

If your words were written with tongue in cheek then they were in bad taste.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I am going to keep mine in the box (after I have tested it) and give it to one of (or both) my kids if they get the bug, if they don't after a few years (they are 4 and 1) then I will probably tart it up.

I bought mine specifically (apart from the support of the charity) to mount in a display case and present as a gift to my Son at Christmas, he is a A&E Doctor and was on Covid duties from the start, and loves trains.....so no brainer really.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Not the same thing at all, and quite an insulting analogy.........

Not intended, apologies.

And I am humbled at your above message about the second model too.

7 hours ago, 7013 said:

I would imagine its very difficult when you are 99 years old, and you just keep going with great determination.

I’m happy to apologise to any 99 year old if they are offended. its not what was meant, so maybe I worded it badly.

Tom was an inspiration and certainly looked like he walked with ease... that’s the motivation I saw, and all power to him, and also too to 101 year old James Lovelock, who was walking down the lane very healthily on the BBC yesterday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/science-environment-53644147/james-lovelock-gaia-theory-creator-on-coronavirus-and-turning-101

I should add also to 100 year old Islam Chowdhury, whom too was inspired to raise £150K by walking, though his name doesn’t appear very often on this forum.

Ive nothing but praise for him, GBRF and Hornby since page 1, if you’ve been following it, that is.

I recognise everyone is different, but you seem to be suggesting everyone who is elderly at 100 cannot walk easily I find a bit degrading, Ive had some great memories and inspiration from healthy elderly people, including over 100. I hope to be so lucky, and I’ve obviously been too lucky for some here, to have encountered those people, they didn’t seem to be showing great determination, I would describe several of my encounters as with elderly men of great happiness and enthusiasm... especially one man whom at Wolsztyn in Poland told me about constructing 10000 and 10001 at Derby, and an enthusiastic elderly German enthusiast whom introduced himself. The man I was talking to changed tac, asked where he was from, he replied “Leipzig, Have you been there”, to which he replied “yes”, the German asked what he thought and quick as a flick the English guy smugly replied “I don’t know I only saw it from the air”, at which point the conversation stalled. - A memory I wont forget, not least that he was climbing fences, which both scared me and admired me.

Generally speaking, I do find it somewhat miserable though, that all to often some people just can’t give credit when credit is due, they always seems to be someone with a grudge, chip or whinge and look for any angle to push it. A bit of live and let live doesn’t hurt anyone... thats really where I was going.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Ive nothing but praise for him, GBRF and Hornby since page 1, if you’ve been following it, that is.

Generally speaking, I do find it somewhat miserable though, that all to often some people just can’t give credit when credit is due, they always seems to be someone with a grudge, chip or whinge and look for any angle to push it. A bit of live and let live doesn’t hurt anyone... thats really where I was going.

I too have been here since the first page (not that that matters much TBH) and have had absolutely nothing but praise for Hornby’s extremely generous effort and contribution to the cause, I merely pointed out that maybe four months is what it takes to change a deco scheme and not produce a brand new model.

edit: in actual fact I believe Hornby announced it would be available by September, so they have done even better than anticipated.

And yes you are going in a good direction....:good_mini:

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 06/08/2020 at 12:43, 7013 said:

TBH, its a milestone and a huge achievement to be able to get to 99, and have your mental and physical faculties, is amazing.  Then to be able to do those walks around the garden, I think that is pretty remarkable.  Most other elderly people, if they were at that age would most likely be sitting in a chair all day, snoozing, reading the newspaper and drinking a cup of tea and putting the world to rights.  This superb gentleman wanted to do something else in order to help his country and most importantly to contribute to the covid effort, and he came up with a way that he could do it.  Put simply, its an outstanding achievement.

I just hope that Hornby have presented him with the first model in a display case!

Best Wishes,

C.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, anstyman said:

I notice a couple of these have already appeared on Ebay at double their original price.

Profiteering from a charity item, shamefull !

You should know it wouldn't take someone long!  Maybe you should ask them if they are donating the profits to a charity other than themselves! 

The only consolation is what would they have been charging if only 500 had been made?

My parents have bought both my children one each as a ........  (not sure what the correct word is to put there!) of what we have all been through. Its certainly the first time in my lifetime that I have felt that I am living through something that will really will be remembered in history.

Whilst the money has been taken, not been given a delivery date yet - then again there are 3,500 to send out, and I only knew about it/ordered when 3,000 models were being produced!  So we must be pretty well down the line and certainly would have missed out if they had only done 500!

Best Wishes,

C

4 hours ago, dogbox321 said:

Whilst the money has been taken, not been given a delivery date yet - then again there are 3,500 to send out, and I only knew about it/ordered when 3,000 models were being produced!

I think my order went through when Hornby were going to produce 1500 models so I expect orders are being posted out in order.  My delivery email came through just before 5pm Friday, so its possible that orders placed in the 2020-3500 window will get dealt with next Monday.

Unless Hornby dispatch are going to get some weekend overtime!

• RMweb Premium

Reading your above post robf, may I ask if you'd received prior notification as to when you'd receive your model please? I only ask as Hornby emailed to say my order was at their warehouse and being processed, but others seem to have had further notification as to when to actually expect delivery.

I'm not being impatient here and don't want to bother Hornby who must be very busy despatching these. I just need to work out some dates and times I can be away from home next week for other folk's benefit, but I don't want to miss delivery. 

Regards,

John

• RMweb Premium

Thanks robf, that helps me understand what to expect by way of information, especially if DPD are Hornby's courier of choice. I expect my order to be among the later ones to be despatched, given the increase in production numbers when I ordered.

Regards,

John

Well DPD (worst courier company in my experience) have just delivered my 66 but wait no they haven’t because by the time I got downstairs and opened my front door, the delivery guy drove off with my parcel in his van leaving me with a note saying back tomorrow. I was only upstairs not like the Eiffel Tower! Obviously being  Saturday night and the pubs are back open, he wasn’t for waiting a reasonable time!  :(

Edited by CathcartCircle
Predictive text
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 07/08/2020 at 17:34, anstyman said:

I notice a couple of these have already appeared on Ebay at double their original price.

18 bids already on one of them.....

On 07/08/2020 at 17:34, anstyman said:

Perhaps, but OTOH anyone now selling this model has obviously bought it themself first and therefore contributed to the charity like anyone else, plus the ever-increasing demand for the model, possibly driven by such people, resulted in Hornby upping the production run and therefore the donation.

• Like 1