Hornby Class 66 NHS ltd edition

Garry D100

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, cessna152towser said:

I had occasion to phone Hornby Customer Service this morning following an e-mail from Hornby advising that they were unable to process my payment for the Brighton Works Terrier and giving me ten days to sort otherwise they would cancel my order.

I have just received exactly the same email.

Every pre-order. Payment fail. Every time. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Since Brighton Works is still available to order I just made a new order using my 10% Captain Tom voucher and cancelled the failed one.

Don't know what's going on with their pre-order payments but it must be costing them doing manual payments.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Interesting, I have been as disappointed as anyone with the Hattons 66.

but today I installed sound to my Hornby loco. Easy enough plug in the decoder, ( I had put an EM2 speaker in mine). Start up....nothing. Ok remove decoder insert blanking plug try on DC....nothing. Investigate to find some wires severed and some of the plastic lugs had been snipped/ damaged. Don’t know why or how.  Bite the bullet, solder the wires together, loco now moves but very slowly and laboured. Try DCC, works well Until I open throttle, loco moves about an inch the stalls, same on DC. I am assuming the motor is tight and will hopefully run well when I put it on the rolling road for a while. I realise I should really have packed it up And sent it back, but I will persevere....Otherwise......display cabinet.

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 19/08/2020 at 14:24, 30801 said:

Don't know what's going on with their pre-order payments but it must be costing them doing manual payments.

I had a similar message about a "failed payment" - it has been happening to me for a couple of years - however I posted something regarding this on the Hornby Forum, and to my surprise received an email from Customer Services  explaining the problems they are having - something to do with security checks. I did ask if I could post her reply on the forum, but she said "no need" as a "manager" would be putting an explanation to this continuing problem on the forum - it has yet to appear!

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

After much meddling found that the TTS decoder has a short (intermittent). Old adage applies, you pay peanuts you get monkeys. That will teach me.

Will save up and get a decent sound decoder.

Just to even up comments on DPD had excellent service from them on this, asked for it to be delivered today not yesterday and it turned up 10 mins before their app was suggesting the driver would arrive. Box undented, model intact and currently running round a Kato oval on the wooden floor. Think an order to Express Models for some lights is going to occur. As proof when ordered and what number on the Cert you get is completely random; as ordered one of the upped to 3500 I have cert 0321.

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Quickly decoder fitted mine, knew there was a reason for buying a Lenz Standard the other week as a lets get free postage from Kernow top up item but at the time could not think why. Typical for Hornby, bar the Rocket,  excess lengths of wires which did cause problems getting the body back on as the wires were insisting on overhanging the chassis sides, a piece of tape ultimately being necessary to retain the wires centrally.

7 hours ago, 7013 said:

After much meddling found that the TTS decoder has a short (intermittent). Old adage applies, you pay peanuts you get monkeys. That will teach me.

Will save up and get a decent sound decoder.

Im assuming you are aware that an EM2 on its own is too much for a TTS decoder?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Erixtar1992 said:

Im assuming you are aware that an EM2 on its own is too much for a TTS decoder?

No I didn’t, I assumed it would a straight swap, Is that the reason it ‘trips out’ .?thank you for the info. I have since found out by inserting another speaker in series will create resistance thus reducing the load on the amplifier.

Edited by 7013
New info
  • Like 1

Compatibility - EM2 Speaker

With an impedance of 4 Ohms, these speakers can be used directly with all Loksound 4 and 5 decoders and some Zimo decoders (please check Zimo’s manuals and website for compatibility).

If you wish to use them with other decoder types (incl. Hornby TTS decoders), you must wire another 4 Ohm speaker in series (bringing the total impedance up to 8 Ohms), otherwise you risk damaging or destroying the amplifier on the chip.

These speakers are not compatible with LokSound 3.5 or earlier decoders.

There are of course other suppliers - but this might be helpful?

https://www.strathpefferjunction.com/product/earth-mover-em2-speaker-for-dcc-sound-4-ohm-1w-rms-ideal-for-loksound-4-5-some-zimo-decoders/

Edited by Bulleidboy100

I bought mine from West London Models for £78. I'm still waiting though I've been told it should be with me in four days. With out going through the thread I've heard there is a surprise in the box if is this true I'd actually like it to be a surprise and no spoilers. :D

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, RyanN91 said:

With out going through the thread I've heard there is a surprise in the box if is this true I'd actually like it to be a surprise and no spoilers. :D

its a F*****g big jumping spider! 

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Just an update on my TTS sound. Added another speaker in series, sounds better, open throttle, still stalls and restarts after a few inches. Exasperated I plug the 8 pin in the ‘wrong’ way around...... everything working well now....fingers crossed 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
On 10/08/2020 at 17:45, Ian Hargrave said:

in theory yes. Received email 16:58 stating to be delivered TODAY 10th....joint DPD Hornby .However DPD “au contraire” state they haven’t got it yet and will inform me when it’s left their local depot,usually by

11:00 am.Muddledom is alive and resident somewhere in Kent .

Yes indeed.  I received the joint Hornby/DPD e-mail notification yesterday that DPD would deliver my Hornby Hobbies parcel today and that I would be notified this morning of a delivery time slot once it had left the depot.    I would presume this referred to the Club Terrier as this has now been marked as dispatched on my Hornby account, while my Captain Tom Moore is still showing as on pre-order.  Anyway, in the absence of further notification today, I just checked the tracking number on DPD website and it says they are still awaiting the parcel from Hornby.

After a delay which they apologised for Hornby have confirmed they are going collect my damaged Captain Tom Moore and ship a replacement. There was a flood at DPD Hub around the 12th which impacted by parcel being delivered. I also wonder if the panic of moving parcels away from the flood was also the cause of the damaged box.

Anyway tomorrow DPD will collect the damaged item and in a day or so replacement should arrive.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Regrettably I’ve decided to sell mine for mainly personal and health reasons, but I’m not going to profit from the sale as it will go for what I paid for it.  Also I hopefully will donate £20 or more towards NHS as they’ve cared for me wonderfully when I needed them over the last few years.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, jools1959 said:

Regrettably I’ve decided to sell mine for mainly personal and health reasons, but I’m not going to profit from the sale as it will go for what I paid for it.  Also I hopefully will donate £20 or more towards NHS as they’ve cared for me wonderfully when I needed them over the last few years.

Sell it for what you can get and donate all the excess to the NHS......at least that way it’ll be doing even more good.

• Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

On 22/08/2020 at 21:51, big jim said:

its a F*****g big jumping spider! 

Well received mine opened it today although no spider! Although the surprise was nice!  Mine is a very high number exceeding 3000! :D

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 26/08/2020 at 11:28, boxbrownie said:

Sell it for what you can get and donate all the excess to the NHS......at least that way it’ll be doing even more good.

I’ve just listed it on a well known auction site for what I paid for it, but I hope people will bid higher so I can donate extra monies to NHS charities.

• Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1