Hornby Class 66 NHS ltd edition

Garry D100

I've just fitted mine with the Hornby TTS sound decoder but replaced the speaker with a Zimo one from YouChoos - it's quite impressive. I model late 50's to mid 60's (67) steam, so it was a little out of place. I've included below a short video of it running. This was straight out of the box - it needs an hour on the rolling road - it also desperately needs lights. The grand children loved it!

50278234688_3ced457c6f_k.jpgIMG_0709 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr

Edited by Bulleidboy100
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/08/2020 at 20:46, Colin_McLeod said:

Why not say E bay?? It is allowed, even on the NHS :)

I thought this government was elected on a promise that the NHS wouldnt be on ebay ?

:)

At least thats what they said after the Russians told red Jez thats what they found.

Edited by adb968008
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
On 26/08/2020 at 11:28, boxbrownie said:

Sell it for what you can get and donate all the excess to the NHS......at least that way it’ll be doing even more good.

I thought I’d mention that my model sold for £128 and I’ll be donating at least £60 to NHS Charities.  Thanks for anyone on here that bid, thank you.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

I'm still waiting for mine.   Still on pre-order according to Hornby.   I happened to mention to a retailer whom I often buy from that I was still waiting for Captain Tom from Hornby.   The retailer had one left in stock and very kindly offered to sell it to me at no profit for £81 (the extra £6 would go towards Paypal fees and postage).   Impatience got the better of me and yesterday I bought it, so it should arrive tomorrow or Friday.    Once it arrives I intend to cancel my Hornby pre-order.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just arrived today from the retailer.   I have already logged on to my Hornby Account to cancel my pre-order.   After a month of checking my e-mails and my Hornby Account several times per day for updates, I need no longer be concerned.    Judging from the inflated prices which these locos have already been selling for on eBay, once Hornby work their way through the backlog of orders, I expect they will find no shortage of takers for the one which I cancelled.    It really is a lovely loco and runs very smoothly.    A marvellous and generous gesture by Hornby, for which I honoured my pledge to buy one, even if it did eventually come via a Hornby authorised retailer rather than direct from Hornby.   Best wishes to all those of you with more patience than myself who are still awaiting their Captain Tom direct from Hornby.

50304957451_3c44b10771_k.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

As I hadn't heard anything since late August from Hornby and my order still showing as pre-order I thought I'd just email them again to find out whether or not to expect the money to be coming out of my account. I got a quick reply, but not quite what I was expecting.

"

I can see that there are still numerous Tom Moore pre orders pending subject to a waiting list from the date and time your pre order was made.  You will be notified shortly if you have been successful.

Kind Regards"

Waiting to hear back from them again to find out why I should be getting notified whether I've been successful and whether this was some sort of raffle. I've got Evening Star on pre-order with them as well, but wondering whether to cancel that and try my look at a retailer.

On 04/05/2020 at 23:33, Hroth said:

Tonights round-up.

Hornby went up to 3500 before deciding to call it a day, which is a pretty marvellous figure, seeing as the model was only announced on Thursday.  Even more marvellous is the £140,000 that will go to NHS charities thanks to this model.

As Hornby has decided to allow a "small number of 'waiting list pre-orders'", there is a chance to get one if any of the carpet-bagger/disappointed that there were more than 500 models cohort decide to reveal their true colours and cancel.

Three Cheers for Hornby!

I think the said they were operating a waiting list once they had hit 3500 orders? Perhaps some people ordered after this point and are still on the waiting list ?

• RMweb Premium

The display case arrived yesterday, and over the next few days I will be painting the wooden base, it’s an Expo Loco display case, and fitting a piece of track some grass/flock and a fence with a 2mm photo background in the case (against the rear clear back)......that’s the plan anyway......must be quick I’m in a for a new knee next Tuesday, so not sure if I’ll finish before then but should be fine for Christmas.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Turnesc said:

As I hadn't heard anything since late August from Hornby and my order still showing as pre-order I thought I'd just email them again to find out whether or not to expect the money to be coming out of my account. I got a quick reply, but not quite what I was expecting.

"

I can see that there are still numerous Tom Moore pre orders pending subject to a waiting list from the date and time your pre order was made.  You will be notified shortly if you have been successful.

Kind Regards"

Waiting to hear back from them again to find out why I should be getting notified whether I've been successful and whether this was some sort of raffle. I've got Evening Star on pre-order with them as well, but wondering whether to cancel that and try my look at a retailer.

On 02/09/2020 at 17:48, cessna152towser said:

I'm still waiting for mine.   Still on pre-order according to Hornby.   I happened to mention to a retailer whom I often buy from that I was still waiting for Captain Tom from Hornby.   The retailer had one left in stock and very kindly offered to sell it to me at no profit for £81 (the extra £6 would go towards Paypal fees and postage).   Impatience got the better of me and yesterday I bought it, so it should arrive tomorrow or Friday.    Once it arrives I intend to cancel my Hornby pre-order.

After many unsuccessful attempts I had finally got my pre-order in and confirmed by Hornby on 4th May.    There was no mention of being on any waiting list.    HRoth posted very late that evening with the update about the waiting list and when I saw his post the following day I logged on to Hornby to make sure that I had a confirmed pre-order.    When I read your post, Turnesc, maybe I took the right decision in cancelling my Hornby pre-order and buying from a retailer at near the original price while I still had the opportunity to do so.     If our orders had failed to make the 3,500 cut, it would have been courtesy for Hornby to have notified at the time that the pre-order was unconfirmed and subject to the waiting list.   They used to boast on their website that if they ran out of stock to fulfil your pre-order they would give a 10% discount on your next order, but that seems to have disappeared, possibly following the Duchess of Atholl situation.  Hornby have done a great job in bringing the Captain Tom loco out so quickly and raising so much for the NHS, and given the number which were returned damaged or defective for replacement they might be struggling to fulfil all their pre-orders.    It would be a shame, though,  if they had to sour their good reputation by telling some folks only after this length of time that they had been "unsuccessful".

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, cessna152towser said:

given the number which were returned damaged or defective for replacement they might be struggling to fulfil all their pre-orders.

Really? That surprises me. The ex-Lima 66 is only slightly more complex than a lump of wood. It must surely have one of the lowest rates of defects & damage.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, cessna152towser said:

After many unsuccessful attempts I had finally got my pre-order in and confirmed by Hornby on 4th May.    There was no mention of being on any waiting list.    HRoth posted very late that evening with the update about the waiting list and when I saw his post the following day I logged on to Hornby to make sure that I had a confirmed pre-order.    When I read your post, Turnesc, maybe I took the right decision in cancelling my Hornby pre-order and buying from a retailer at near the original price while I still had the opportunity to do so.     If our orders had failed to make the 3,500 cut, it would have been courtesy for Hornby to have notified at the time that the pre-order was unconfirmed and subject to the waiting list.   They used to boast on their website that if they ran out of stock to fulfil your pre-order they would give a 10% discount on your next order, but that seems to have disappeared, possibly following the Duchess of Atholl situation.  Hornby have done a great job in bringing the Captain Tom loco out so quickly and raising so much for the NHS, and given the number which were returned damaged or defective for replacement they might be struggling to fulfil all their pre-orders.    It would be a shame, though,  if they had to sour their good reputation by telling some folks only after this length of time that they had been "unsuccessful".

There's been a few items on the site I've though about pre-ordering, but at the moment don't feel its worth the effort.  If I'm on a waiting list then would be nice to be told at the time of ordering or pretty close. I think my order was 3rd May and as far as I'm aware its only ever been a pre-order and not on any waiting list, so with that and evening star on order I've had to make sure that there's always been an extra £300 in the bank ready just in case and that the wife doesn't spend it on something daft like the weekly shop or another pair of shoes.

I guess they get away with this though as they don't take the payment up front, which I would have quite happily have done if I knew I was going to get what I ordered.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, 30801 said:

Really? That surprises me. The ex-Lima 66 is only slightly more complex than a lump of wood. It must surely have one of the lowest rates of defects & damage.

I was thinking more of the flooding at the DPD hub which someone previously referred to in this thread.

• RMweb Premium
On 18/08/2020 at 18:46, flapland said:

Sadly mine got stuck at DHL Birmingham for 7 days and then was badly bashed on delivery. Waiting to hear back from customer services as the keen to get a replacement box and locomotive. 

Waiting to hear back from Customer Services. 

I was thinking more of the problems with those damaged in transit.

• RMweb Premium
On 25/08/2020 at 19:05, flapland said:

After a delay which they apologised for Hornby have confirmed they are going collect my damaged Captain Tom Moore and ship a replacement. There was a flood at DPD Hub around the 12th which impacted by parcel being delivered. I also wonder if the panic of moving parcels away from the flood was also the cause of the damaged box.

Anyway tomorrow DPD will collect the damaged item and in a day or so replacement should arrive.

Defo some delivery problems.    Yes I was disappointed by the lack of response from Hornby to my outstanding pre-order and it was my decision to cancel my pre-order and to buy from an authorised retailer instead but my sympathies still lie to some extent with Hornby.