Hornby Class 66 NHS ltd edition

Garry D100

Customer services did get back to me, arranged collection of the one whose box was damaged in postage and then sent a replacement.

The replacement was fine although still had the borderline packaging. I think they need one size bigger box and twice as much bubble wrap.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It's not good to hear that people still haven't received their models yet. I received my one at the beginning of August. I agree with you flapland the box I received my one was too small to properly protect the model in shipping 

Hornby's distribution company definitely need to improve. It should not take that long to process and send out 3500 items and then sort out the faulty or damaged ones .even with the vIrus situation 

They do seem to have problems with distribution and their website is worse than useless 

Edited by Monkey28
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I had a reply to my latest email from Hornby. From it I take it that anyone who hasn't received one yet is actually on the waiting list.

"

Dear Mr Saunders, 

We received an unprecedented amount of orders from customers wanting to support a great charity cause with the Captain Tom Moore Loco. 

Unfortunately, we filled the order list very early after release therefore implemented a waiting list which was listed on the website under the product information. 

All orders are released in date and time order. For customers who have failed to make payments or have cancelled orders this then released more to customers waiting in the que. 

Yours Sincerely

"

When I ordered mine it clear showed as available on the website, so shame on Hornby for not being honest with your customers if in reality it was actually a waiting list and you're now being selective with the truth when responding to queries of where orders are.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, GeoffBird said:

When I log in to my Hornby account on their Website it shows my order as an "Order" with an order number not as an "WAITING LIST" and I still haven't got one.

Mine is the same. Order number and shows as a pre-order. When I ordered it was showing as available. My order number is H00333833, so if yours is a later one than mine you can work out whether you are in the same position as me.

Would be better if Hornby just came clean and owned up to the fact that they accepted more actual orders that they would ever have available, and that anyone who hasn't either received their order won't know be getting anything. I'd then go out and spend the money on something else.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, Turnesc said:

Mine is the same. Order number and shows as a pre-order. When I ordered it was showing as available. My order number is H00333833, so if yours is a later one than mine you can work out whether you are in the same position as me.

Would be better if Hornby just came clean and owned up to the fact that they accepted more actual orders that they would ever have available, and that anyone who hasn't either received their order won't know be getting anything. I'd then go out and spend the money on something else.

My order number is H00334207, so I think I am worse off than you.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, GeoffBird said:

My order number is H00334207, so I think I am worse off than you.

My order number was HO0334689 so I would have been even further down the queue.  I'm thankful now that I cancelled my Hornby pre-order and bought instead from a retailer while I had still had the opportunity to get one at a sensible price.  Would have been mighty angry if Hornby had cancelled my pre-order months down the line when no more were available except at inflated prices from eBay carpetbaggers.

Edited by cessna152towser
typo
  • Like 1

I find all this very strange, and does not give much confidence in Hornby Hobbies.

I ordered mine on the 1st May, when I believe that the number was stated as 2020. I had tried multiple times and the web page kept "freezing" at the payment stage. Eventually, I ended up with two in my basket, and had problems with cancelling one!!!!

Eventually, it seemed that the order H00331604 was accepted!!!!

With trepidation, I waited. Then on 7th August I received a dispatch notification from DPD and the model was delivered on 10th August.

There seems to be a history of Hornby under delivering shown on this forum.

I hope that those still waiting will eventually receive them.

Terry

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Turnesc said:

I think that's a bit of a leap.  More likely a production slot was booked and the demand outweighed the supply for this slot.   As soon as they can get more slots, you'll get yours.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

I think that's a bit of a leap.  More likely a production slot was booked and the demand outweighed the supply for this slot.   As soon as they can get more slots, you'll get yours.

Not as its a limited edition. I'd have expected them to have made them in one run. If  what you say was the case then why not actual communicate that to your customers and then it ends speculation and customers know if and when they are going to receive what they've ordered.

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Turnesc said:

Not as its a limited edition. I'd have expected them to have made them in one run. If  what you say was the case then why not actual communicate that to your customers and then it ends speculation and customers know if and when they are going to receive what they've ordered.

Except that the size of the "limited edition" increased a number of times due to demand - it may have exceeded the size of the available production slot.  Doesn't excuse the lack of communication, but Hornby may be in the awkward position that whilst they have asked for /ordered a further production to make up the numbers, they don't know if they'll actually appear.  There have been all too frequent occurrences where delivered quantities have been lower than Hornby expected but it's only become apparent at the last minute... 

But having said that, I wish you the best of luck in getting hold of one...

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Weren't Hornby quite clear from day one about the fact that they capped the order book at 3500* but they would take pre-orders after that in case anyone cancelled? I clearly remember there being news about a waiting list which operated on a first-come-first-serve basis....

Edited by MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Weren't Hornby quite clear from day one about the fact that they capped the order book at 3500* but they would take pre-orders after that in case anyone cancelled? I clearly remember there being news about a waiting list which operated on a first-come-first-serve basis....

They were clear about a "waiting list" from day 5 (4th May), when the final 3500 limit was announced.  On day 1 (30th April) they were only making 500, but it snowballed from there... 

What I'd be interested to see is what form of communication was sent to those whose orders ended up on the waiting list - did it make it clear that was the status of their order?

• RMweb Gold

If it helps or even relevant, mine was in the order number range 3301xx.

I ordered minutes before the first 500 sold out on the first day 30th April. I should add, I ordered the max 2 models that was allowed, on that same order.

So sleuthing would put 334689 a good 4500 above mine, which was at the end of the first 500.

Bare in mind, obviously people would be placing orders for other models using the same ordering system during this period, so its a guide not an absolute, but equally people could order 2 models on the same order number.

My order arrived in August.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

We are in the middle of a global pandemic with governments and businesses across the world, as well as many people, struggling to cope, and above are a long list of gripes about how terrible Hornby are for not being on top of an oversubscribed model. Maybe, like many businesses Hornby are just trying to stay in business and navigate a very challenging set of circumstances and keep their staff and others safe? They already had serious challenges before COVID arrived.

"I find all this very strange, and does not give much confidence in Hornby Hobbies."

:banghead:

Edited by ruggedpeak
typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

23 hours ago, Turnesc said:

Going to leave my order as it is for now and just see if anything eventually turns up or Hornby gives me a clear response.

Me too.  As a fallback I have acquired the set of nameplates and lettering from Railtec, so that I can procure a normal GBRf class 66 and re-identify it.  If my Hornby one does turn up then someone can have my railtec lettering gratis.

• Like 1

This morning  I've received an email from Hornby that suggests that anyone who hasn't received there model won't be doing so.

"We were astounded by the excellent response to our 'Capt. Tom Moore' locomotive, with an amazing £140,000 generated from the sales of this model for NHS Charities Together!

Only 3,500 of this limited edition model were produced with demand being extremely high and we were only able to supply a very few people from the subsequent waiting list. However, to express our appreciation for your interest in this model we would like to offer you an exclusive 10% discount code to use on the Hornby website, which is valid until 31st December 2020."

To confirm to those that have commented on my post at ordered mine as soon as Hornby increased the production run to 3500 and at no point until this week has Hornby ever told me that I'm on a waiting list. It was clearly showing as available when I pre-ordered. My issue with Hornby is the complete lack of communication and when I first chased up my order was still that, an order and not a waiting list.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, Turnesc said:

This morning  I've received an email from Hornby that suggests that anyone who hasn't received there model won't be doing so.

"We were astounded by the excellent response to our 'Capt. Tom Moore' locomotive, with an amazing £140,000 generated from the sales of this model for NHS Charities Together!

Only 3,500 of this limited edition model were produced with demand being extremely high and we were only able to supply a very few people from the subsequent waiting list. However, to express our appreciation for your interest in this model we would like to offer you an exclusive 10% discount code to use on the Hornby website, which is valid until 31st December 2020."

To confirm to those that have commented on my post at ordered mine as soon as Hornby increased the production run to 3500 and at no point until this week has Hornby ever told me that I'm on a waiting list. It was clearly showing as available when I pre-ordered. My issue with Hornby is the complete lack of communication and when I first chased up my order was still that, an order and not a waiting list.

i emailed the 'customer services' and received an automated response. That was a week ago. 

Rails on the other hand sent an email to let me know my recent order had just been dispatched, other retailers do the same. 

Poor standard of service really from such a high profile manufacturer, Covid or no Covid.

• Agree 1