Hornby Class 66 NHS ltd edition

Garry D100

2 hours ago, jonnyuk said:

i to got that email this morning, my order is still at pre-order..time will tell

The first thing I did was to check my order status and mine still shows as pre-order. Part of me doesn't want to give them the business using the discount code, but will have a look on pay day and see what price it brings a Princess down to or whether its still cheaper else where.

• Moderators

I have just had a chat with Simon Kohler regarding the issues raised.

• All 3,500 models have now been despatched.
  • For any customers within the first 3,500 where payment could not be processed for any reason were contacted and given 7 days to respond (some asked for 14 days and it was extended).
  • Any available models after that processed had run its course were then allocated to the next customers on the list.
  • There were around 800 customers on the waiting list and any who were too late to be allocated a model were sent the email as previously posted.

"We were astounded by the excellent response to our 'Capt. Tom Moore' locomotive, with an amazing £140,000 generated from the sales of this model for NHS Charities Together!

Only 3,500 of this limited edition model were produced with demand being extremely high and we were only able to supply a very few people from the subsequent waiting list. However, to express our appreciation for your interest in this model we would like to offer you an exclusive 10% discount code to use on the Hornby website, which is valid until 31st December 2020."

This process, not necessarily caused by Hornby, has extended the fulfilment duration beyond what was initially anticipated.

Any models that have been sold by retailers were purchased by them at the full retail price to ensure the full total was raised.

Hopefully that clarifies the position but Simon has said anyone who still has an issue is welcome to contact him on simon.kohler@hornby.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

that email is not very clear (i did get it this morning). It should be explicit, saying your not going to get the model you pre-ordered, does not say that.

So to be 100%, if you got that email you won't get the model?

That is a royal pain in the ar*s3, i love Hornby but this really does make not want to spend money on their site, i'd rather give the retailers a little bit of profit as well.

• Friendly/supportive 1

lilly248-04 on ebay currently has one for sale as BIN or best offer for £145 PLUS £6.50 p&p ... 

gammonham, on the other hand, has a bid at £79 but hasn't reached the reserve price (could it be £79.99?)

I've suggested to both that a donation of £40 to NHS charities from their final sale price would be a decent gesture

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

that email is not very clear (i did get it this morning). It should be explicit, saying your not going to get the model you pre-ordered, does not say that.

So to be 100%, if you got that email you won't get the model?

That is a royal pain in the ar*s3, i love Hornby but this really does make not want to spend money on their site, i'd rather give the retailers a little bit of profit as well.

Its just another example of the poor communication from them. You have to deduce from it that you're not going to receive anything rather than being explicit.

56 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I have just had a chat with Simon Kohler regarding the issues raised.

• All 3,500 models have now been despatched.
  • For any customers within the first 3,500 where payment could not be processed for any reason were contacted and given 7 days to respond (some asked for 14 days and it was extended).
  • Any available models after that processed had run its course were then allocated to the next customers on the list.
  • There were around 800 customers on the waiting list and any who were too late to be allocated a model were sent the email as previously posted.

"We were astounded by the excellent response to our 'Capt. Tom Moore' locomotive, with an amazing £140,000 generated from the sales of this model for NHS Charities Together!

Only 3,500 of this limited edition model were produced with demand being extremely high and we were only able to supply a very few people from the subsequent waiting list. However, to express our appreciation for your interest in this model we would like to offer you an exclusive 10% discount code to use on the Hornby website, which is valid until 31st December 2020."

This process, not necessarily caused by Hornby, has extended the fulfilment duration beyond what was initially anticipated.

Any models that have been sold by retailers were purchased by them at the full retail price to ensure the full total was raised.

Hopefully that clarifies the position but Simon has said anyone who still has an issue is welcome to contact him on simon.kohler@Hornby.com

Thanks for following this up and clarifying the exact position. If only they had done so when many of us have tried to contact them then I don't think that people would be as annoyed.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, rus578 said:

did retailers really order as we joe public did  

Yes; I've covered that. The same as people like GBRf and Porterbrook did - to support the initiative.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I'm OK with that.   I genuinely believed that I had a confirmed pre-order from Hornby.   A month after some of my fellow forumites already had theirs I lost my nerve and bought from a retailer at nil profit for that retailer and I then cancelled my Hornby pre-order.    The only thing I lost out on was the 10% discount which Hornby are now offering on a  future Hornby purchase to disappointed pre-orderers   It was my choice to be impatient and to buy via a retailer while their last Class 66 Captain Tom was still available at a sensible price from them, so that is something I can live with.  The only remaining dilemma as far as I am concerned is what is the best way to pre-order to secure a Hornby item?

Currently I have two loco pre-orders direct with Hornby and two pre-orders for coaches, one via Jadlam for which they already took the money up front and one via Rails of Sheffield who haven't yet taken my money but might not be getting the items and therefore will probably be unable to fulfil pre-orders.

Edited by cessna152towser
typo
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, cessna152towser said:

one via Jadlam for which they already took the money up front and one via Rails of Sheffield

Sadly one doesn't give any higher likelihood of the preorder being fulfilled than the other but I know which is more ethical if not legal, dependent on the method of payment.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, D9502 said:

i emailed the 'customer services' and received an automated response. That was a week ago. 

I didn't get any response from a mail to customer services but had no problems ringing them up other than a bit of time in a queue.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Small upgrade on my NHS loco. TTS sound, stay alive and lights. I didn't purchase a light kit, they are homebrew using plastic optical fibres.

Problem with the lights is that first you have to make lenses for all of them, and then there is no space - means the actual LED or optical fibre is in the frame. The disadvantage is that the rather strong day headlights shine over into the red lenses of the rear lights. Well, I am still happy with the result. And of course, I added two drivers. driverless locos may happen in the future, now they are only in the shunting yards of some countries.

Location of the stay alive. next to the capacitors is a white box containing the LED for the red rear lights. from there the light goes via optical fibre. I covered the white boxes later as the light shines through.

50512504033_7ae5c5101d_h.jpg20201020_202513

Solution for the top marker light: I made a small PCB containing 2 white LEDs and their resistors. Frome there it goes to the lights via optical fibre (black). Even the plastic is dark blue the light still shines through. Therefore I put black foil below and above the LEDs.

50513432947_f941c3816a_h.jpg20201021_154332

And here the driver. I have one on both sides.

50512503733_87697e1b61_h.jpg20201021_151559

Now without flash.

50512503528_e94e4e40bd_h.jpg20201021_151646

and change of direction.

50513379877_ae158bd0c4_h.jpg20201021_151723

Was a nice little project, I enjoyed it a lot.

Edited by Vecchio
spelling....
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I replaced the TTS speaker with a Zimo LS40x20x09 Optimised 3D (1watt/8 Ohm) speaker - sounds very good - and loud! I live a couple of hundred yards from a junction where 66's sit several times a day on their way to Southampton Docks - the TTS sound is pretty realistic.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, big jim said:

66731 ‘Sir Tom Moore’ is on the Irvine tanks from dollands moor tomorrow as far as I know so it’s pretty much doing the length on the country tomorrow 

A spiritual tour, pity the majority of the country aren’t allowed out to see it........RIP Sir Tom 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

RIP a true gentleman and hero of our time. I am sad  to see some people cashing in by posting the Hornby Loco on Ebay at extortionate prices 

Edited by 7013
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, 7013 said:

I am sad  to see some people cashing in by posting the Hornby Loco on Ebay at extortionate prices

There were a couple sold before his death but I can't find any on at the moment. Can you please link to the listings.

• RMweb Premium

I must confess I did not go into ebay because I do not use it, I just googled Sir Tom Moore and amogst other things there were references to the Hornby Cl 66 one at £190 and another at around £140. Of course it is up to individuals what they do with their locos, but it would be in bad taste if they tried to make a fast buck on the back of his passing, by the same token if they made a further contribution to his fund it would be a good thing.

Hornby should issue another - are there any updates in the markings to make it slightly different.

Reverence to his passing - PROFITS to NHS.

I'm sure he'd appreciate that, as would his family.

Cashing in is little short of .... perhaps not said here!!

Al.

• Like 1