Hornby Class 66 NHS ltd edition

Garry D100

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Maybe GBRF may consider adding an in memoriam plate to 66731 or some similar tribute, maybe a wreath.

such a shame to lose Sir Tom.

Or, GBRF could provide a new set of plaques along the lines of ‘Colonel Sir Tom Moore, 1920-2021’, give one old plate to his family and auction the other (potential record for a name plate??), then Hornby can do a second run of 66731 with the amended plates, sell another 3,500 at least, and then give another £140k to the Kent NHS.

I don’t even collect modern image but I’m a bit annoyed I missed the first run, I can’t be the only one in that camp...

P.s. also takes the wind out of the sails of anyone trying to flog theirs off at stupid prices on EBay....

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

If the real one did get do renamed it would be better if another 66 manufacturer did it do it would have the correct details, notably cab side windows.

I thought they had pretty much all had a crack at the first version?

Roy

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

That would have been called "checking the facts" .

Agree though that it would be in bad taste.

Agreed Colin, but it did say "These available on Ebay". Never mind, I will look closer next time.

• Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

I thought they had pretty much all had a crack at the first version?

Roy

If you mean a model of 66731 only Hornby have done it in OO to date, Bachmann meant to be doing a set with the fly pass aircraft in it as a Collector's Club item.

Edited by Butler Henderson

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

If you mean a model of 66731 only Hornby have done it in OO to date, Bachmann meant to be doing a set with the fly pass aircraft in it as a Collector's Club item.

Yes, and due anytime soon. Hornby and Bachmann in 00, Bachmann and Dapol in N. 

Roy

I wouldn’t entertain the Hornby one , captain Tom and NHS or not. It was awful when Lima put it out and it still is.

I may well get the Bachmann set, but strangely as I don’t model today , I’m actually more interested in the aircraft that come with it , and may sell in the loco.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I wouldn’t entertain the Hornby one , captain Tom and NHS or not. It was awful when Lima put it out and it still is.

I may well get the Bachmann set, but strangely as I don’t model today , I’m actually more interested in the aircraft that come with it , and may sell in the loco.

I believe there were  lot of people who would not buy a Hornby 66 given that there are two much better versions on the market. However, like me a lot of people bought the Captain Tom 66 as a way of supporting the NHS during a very difficult time in our history. It was akin to buying War Bonds in the USA to support the war effort.

• Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 minutes ago, 7013 said:

I believe there were  lot of people who would not buy a Hornby 66 given that there are two much better versions on the market. However, like me a lot of people bought the Captain Tom 66 as a way of supporting the NHS during a very difficult time in our history. It was akin to buying War Bonds in the USA to support the war effort.

Good cause. But I think Bachmann have a similar arrangement. I’d never run it, not because of value, but I’d not want to be reminded of this diabolical year when I’m enjoying trains .

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

If the real one did get do renamed it would be better if another 66 manufacturer did it do it would have the correct details, notably cab side windows.

I don't think that was the point...

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Good cause. But I think Bachmann have a similar arrangement. I’d never run it, not because of value, but I’d not want to be reminded of this diabolical year when I’m enjoying trains .

For me its the opposite, it makes me feel good to have contributed positively via my hobby, in an otherwise bad year. 
its also testament to good will across the whole chain from Hornby to China that made it happen in the timescale it did, and the charity funds it earned.

Not to diminish Bachmann's charitable effort, but that you need to be in the Collectors club to buy it, means its not quite the same.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 7
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, 7013 said:

I believe there were  lot of people who would not buy a Hornby 66 given that there are two much better versions on the market. However, like me a lot of people bought the Captain Tom 66 as a way of supporting the NHS during a very difficult time in our history.

i am one of those people, I bought it to ‘do my bit’, the loco now sits in the display cabinet and will never see the layout.

I did actually know about the Bachmann version way before it was announced but it didn’t stop me buying the Hornby one, I’ve since ordered the Bachmann set too and that loco will be used on the layout 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, adb968008 said:

For me its the opposite, it makes me feel good to have contributed positively via my hobby, in an otherwise bad year. 
its also testament to good will across the whole chain from Hornby to China that made it happen in the timescale it did, and the charity funds it earned.

Not to diminish Bachmann's charitable effort, but that you need to be in the Collectors club to buy it, means its not quite the same.

i would not buy the Bachmann one out of principle, yes good cause but they are also making money out of it by making you join the club, not really in the spirit is it,  naughty, naughty Bachmann.

To add, i did order in the first Hornby run but got that disappointing email, would love another chance to get one.

Edited by jonnyuk
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

i would not buy the Bachmann one out of principle, yes good cause but they are also making money out of it by making you join the club, not really in the spirit is it,  naughty, naughty Bachmann.

To add, i did order in the first Hornby run but got that disappointing email, would love another chance to get one.

when the Bachmann one arrives I may well put the Hornby one up in the classifieds for what I paid for it, not 100% sure yet though 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonnyuk said:

I don’t imagine there was any criminal intent so to speak....with somehting likely to be vastly over subscribed maybe it was a way of filtering that demand down to manageable levels.

• RMweb Premium

The merits or otherwise of the Hornby 66 are not in question here, everyone knows it was released in that livery for one purpose only, and that was to raise funds for Captain Toms Charity. The fact that it was cheap allowed access to a greater number of people who enjoy the hobby, which was borne out by the huge demand. 

There is little doubt that the Bachmann model is better, it should be for the price, whether Bachmann tried to jump on the bandwagon is a moot point, I would not buy their version anyway, they have introduced it with half an eye on drawing in more people to their collectors club which could be construed as the aformentioned jumping on the bandwagon, or, at worst, in bad taste. It may also be interpreted as catering for the more discerning modeller, it really matters not a jot. Despite the fact the model is old tooling and basic the Hornby gesture with this 66 will be remembered long after the Bachmann one. And Captain Sir Tom Moore will be remembered long after the locomotive eventually goes to the scrapyard.

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

I don’t imagine there was any criminal intent so to speak....with somehting likely to be vastly over subscribed maybe it was a way of filtering that demand down to manageable levels.

not suggesting for one second anything criminal is at hand. Bachmann are still donating the profit from the model which is to be applauded (they could not do anything else given what Hornby did) but they are making a few quid by getting you to join their club........that's the bit that is questionable and not in the spirit of the things, making money off the back of charity is not the done thing.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

Bachmann are still donating the profit from the model which is to be applauded (they could not do anything else given what Hornby did) but they are making a few quid by getting you to join their club........that's the bit that is questionable and not in the spirit of the things, making money off the back of charity is not the done thing.

How much money do Bachmann actually make out of the Club however ? I left it last year because it no longer matched my interests, but for the membership fee you receive each year's catalogue, four magazines, a wagon, plus other benefits. And did Hornby not make any profit from their Class 66 ? Whether or not in financial terms their public image certainly benefitted hugely. And IMHO there's no real issue with either company's approach. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

9 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

not suggesting for one second anything criminal is at hand. Bachmann are still donating the profit from the model which is to be applauded (they could not do anything else given what Hornby did) but they are making a few quid by getting you to join their club........that's the bit that is questionable and not in the spirit of the things, making money off the back of charity is not the done thing.

So , if say Bachmann do a model , for cancer relief they must offer it to the general public and not their club members first ?I meant underhand not criminal, couldn’t think of the word .

I Think it’s a case of you pays your money and takes your choice really .

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

I'm bemused at the direction this thread is going. 

There are lots of models of locomotives named after people who are now dead.

Seems to have become another thread for the odd person to have a dig about the Bachmann Collectors Club which, in my opinion, is fantastic value. I find it slightly ironic that it is considered underhand to release a model through it, but not underhand to use a thread about a Hornby charitable loco to have a dig at Bachmann. 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Typo
  • Agree 4