Hornby Class 66 NHS ltd edition

Garry D100

• RMweb Gold
On 05/02/2021 at 13:42, caradoc said:

And did Hornby not make any profit from their Class 66 ? Whether or not in financial terms their public image certainly benefitted hugely. 

£40 donation out of £75 delivered to your door. No they didn't profit.

They got it to your door incredibly quickly too.

• Agree 5

15 hours ago, 30801 said:

£40 donation out of £75 delivered to your door. No they didn't profit.

They got it to your door incredibly quickly too.

Fair enough, no profit in direct financial terms, however their public image, and prominence in the media, received a huge boost. Nothing wrong with that, of course. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, caradoc said:

Fair enough, no profit in direct financial terms, however their public image, and prominence in the media, received a huge boost. Nothing wrong with that, of course. 

don't disagree with this, but Bachmann are getting the same boost are they not?

Anyway opinions have been aired, digs made at other members so lets leave it there. I would love another run of the model so i can try and add it to my collection and through my hobby donate to a good cause, i can't see it my self though.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 05/02/2021 at 17:21, Colin_McLeod said:

I'm bemused at the direction this thread is going. 

There are lots of models of locomotives named after people who are now dead.

You clearly missed the connection between Capt.Tom, the loco and its significance in raising money for the NHS to fight the Pandemic then Colin!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
31 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

I notice that Hattons have these on their website for £202. 

Some might disagree with me, which is fine, but it doesn’t feel right to me I have to say.

Nick.

Unless of course they sell them for the original RRP and give the rest of the money made on each sale, minus overheads to NHS charities.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Unless of course they sell them for the original RRP and give the rest of the money made on each sale, minus overheads to NHS charities.

Fine with me, but I doubt that’s what they are doing - it certainly wasn’t stated that was their intent.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

i'd like to think Hattons are giving the difference between rrp and selling price to charity, they surely have more about them, they can't be that desperate for an extra £100. I keep getting tempted to pick up the Bachmann set (think they have a few sets left) but you have to join their club which is naughty and i've no interest in that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Brinkly said:

I notice that Hattons have these on their website for £202. 

Some might disagree with me, which is fine, but it doesn’t feel right to me I have to say.

Nick.

After the pre-order debacle which I think generated some sympathy for Hattons, it would be a great way of evaporating it if they are profiteering off that model. Business is business but has to be a line somewhere. That said Rails are doing the Poppy 66 without any reference to a donation, which doesn't sit right with me either.

• Agree 2

The donation to NHS Charities was an aspect of the original sale and that money went to its intended destination. Anything sold second-hand will sell for whatever the seller thinks it will achieve, you cannot expect subsequent sellers to make similar donations.

At present Hattons don't appear to have any examples of R30069 for sale, so someone has happily paid their £202.  Why not have a go at the ebay vendors who are asking between £210 and £255 for R30069, or the one wanting £60 for the body. I don't know if they will achieve these sums, but it appears to be the "going rate".

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Donation to charity should be voluntary and not as a result of moral blackmail. 

completely agree, no one is forcing any retailer to donate, however the moral thing to do is donate the profits above and beyond what would of been their profit if sold at rrp to charity. its called doing the right thing because you want to, not because you have to like you say. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jonnyuk said:

completely agree, no one is forcing any retailer to donate, however the moral thing to do is donate the profits above and beyond what would of been their profit if sold at rrp to charity. its called doing the right thing because you want to, not because you have to like you say. 

I have to disagree, the moral thing was done when the original loco's were sold.  

The house I live in, which I bought new 5 years ago, donated a percentage of each sale to a national childrens charity.  If I sell this house in 5 years and make, for instance, £20,000, should I give that profit to the charity?  

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Donation to charity should be voluntary and not as a result of moral blackmail. 

They know the value of these and should act accordingly .

Iwouldn't  give you £25 for a Hornby 66 but in this guise they've polished the turd

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

My point is exactly the opposite. There is no "should act accordingly".

I disagree ( it happens on the internet sometimes ).

the Hornby 66 is a poor representation and the only reason this may fetch that money is it's a ltd edition - a ltd edition driven by the NHS, and Capt Tom and the whole pandemic thing - so I still maintain for a company that allegedly turns over £14m , the right thing to do , in my view is donate the profit .

• Agree 3

34 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I disagree ( it happens on the internet sometimes ).

the Hornby 66 is a poor representation and the only reason this may fetch that money is it's a ltd edition - a ltd edition driven by the NHS, and Capt Tom and the whole pandemic thing - so I still maintain for a company that allegedly turns over £14m , the right thing to do , in my view is donate the profit .

There will never be an agreement on this issue, in my view being guilt tripped for not donating to charity, whether its from a model train sale or by the street 'chuggers' is morally wrong.

Who's to say Hatton's didn't donate the profit, they may have but just don't feel the need to say about it?  Giving to charity is a personal, private, thing whether its at an individual or global conglomerate level

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

On 08/06/2021 at 09:46, Hroth said:

The donation to NHS Charities was an aspect of the original sale and that money went to its intended destination. Anything sold second-hand will sell for whatever the seller thinks it will achieve, you cannot expect subsequent sellers to make similar donations.

At present Hattons don't appear to have any examples of R30069 for sale, so someone has happily paid their £202.  Why not have a go at the ebay vendors who are asking between £210 and £255 for R30069, or the one wanting £60 for the body. I don't know if they will achieve these sums, but it appears to be the "going rate".

Sadly E.Bay people seem either be lazy or have too much money !!!!!

https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=246&product_id=1465