Hornby Class 66 NHS ltd edition

Garry D100

As part of our Centenary celebrations, we have placed ten ‘Golden Tickets’ in various Centenary product boxes (Dublo Diecast Vehicle Collection excluded). Nine of the Golden Tickets are for a cash value of up to £500 (to be redeemed on the Hornby website), but the tenth ticket is for a special trip, for two, on a Belmond Pullman Experience (date to be confirmed, due to disruptions caused by the Covid-19 situation). To be in with a chance of winning a lucky Golden Ticket and receiving one of these fantastic prizes you will need to check within your Centenary product box.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/centenary-year-golden-tickets

Here it is. One winner so far.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/2020-centennial-celebration

I know this isn't a Centenary model. But my comment was about people not opening boxes.

Jason

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

There was a mention somewhere that very few of the "Centenary prizes" have been claimed so far. I wonder whether they are in boxes that haven't been opened....

Jason

The NHS loco is not one of the centenary models.

Edit: Beaten to it. ;)

Edited by Colin_McLeod

In the eBay Madness thread, I asked how much Hornby sold these for (being a limited edition) but having stumbled across this thread (doh!) I now know that it was the standard £75...

So I shall be messaging the eBay seller trying to sell one at double the original cost and informing her that Hornby donated £40 from each sale to the NHS Charities and asking her if she will do likewise.

You will also see the delightful wording she has chosen to advertise it, if you pop across to the eBay Madness thread!

Steve S

The thing with the eBay profiteering is that I really don't understand where the market is. As in how could so many people have missed them first time round?

I ran mine yesterday for the first time. Being unfamiliar with the Hornby 66 I was surprised at how fast it seems.

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

The thing with the eBay profiteering is that I really don't understand where the market is. As in how could so many people have missed them first time round?

Very easily. Hornby's website collapsed under the weight of people buying them. You could spend all day trying to order one. 

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, 30801 said:

Very easily. Hornby's website collapsed under the weight of people buying them. You could spend all day trying to order one. 

Really? I know it was bad but I thought they were selling them for days, I didn't think the issue was to the point where if people were not willing to persist to get one that they would then be willing to spend twice the money now.

I got mine in about 10 minutes on the evening they became available, which I know I was probably lucky but I had just never heard (on here or FB) of people not actually being able to get one if they persisted.

Edited by TomScrut

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, 30801 said:

Very true.  I spent hours trying to buy one while the limit of the issue was to be 2020.    Finally got to the checkout late at night and as I was about to make that final click to commit my pre-order I noticed I was committed to pay £149.98 then realised I had somehow got two in my basket.  Tried to go back a page to amend basket and remove one but instead I got wiped off the site.  Then the site crashed and I went to bed.  Next morning I was gutted to find they were now sold out.  Then I read later that day that the issue was being upped to 3,000 and I began trying again and this time achieved the euphoria of finally getting my pre-order in and confirmed.      As of this morning my order is still showing on my Hornby account as pre-order.   After the debacle with the Duchess of Atholl delivery being short and some being disappointed, can I still have confidence that Hornby will deliver my loco or will I maybe need to turn to eBay?    After all the time and effort I spent on the Hornby website and having eventually been able to make my firm commitment to support Hornby's donation to NHS Charities Together, I will DEFINITELY have this loco whether it comes direct from Hornby or needs to be obtained via a third party.   It is annoying to see some folks already having two or three to sell on eBay for profit while some of us are still waiting for our single example.  Hornby have obvioulsy been caught by unexpected demand on this one and while they were initially allowing a maximum of 5 they later cut it to 2 and indeed when I came to place my pre-order for the club Brighton Works terrier I was pleased to see they are now limiting this to one per customer.

Edited by cessna152towser
typo
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I got mine in about 10 minutes on the evening they became available, which I know I was probably lucky but I had just never heard (on here or FB) of people not actually being able to get one if they persisted.

You were very lucky, I went on a few minutes after receiving the email from Hornby (club member) and couldn’t log on for two days, luckily Hornby kept increasing the numbers and I managed to,got,one in the end.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cessna152towser said:

initially allowing a maximum of 5

Should never have been that high IMO!

5 minutes ago, cessna152towser said:

when I came to place my pre-order for the club Brighton Works terrier I was pleased to see they are now limiting this to one per customer.

Don't they do that with club stuff so that if you want one you need to join the club?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I made the point Back when they sold out from Hornby that non enthusiast, non modelling community wouldn’t really have known about them for the 2 days they were available back in April and now ‘those in the know’ who got hold of one (or more) have put extras up on eBay opening them up to a wider audience who are paying over the odds for one not knowing they are being overcharged compared to the original price 

27 minutes ago, big jim said:

I made the point Back when they sold out from Hornby that non enthusiast, non modelling community wouldn’t really have known about them for the 2 days they were available back in April and now ‘those in the know’ who got hold of one (or more) have put extras up on eBay opening them up to a wider audience who are paying over the odds for one not knowing they are being overcharged compared to the original price 

Aye that could also be it.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Really? I know it was bad but I thought they were selling them for days, I didn't think the issue was to the point where if people were not willing to persist to get one that they would then be willing to spend twice the money now.

it is desirable to people outside of the hobby, probably many of whom don't own any track, nor even know what a 66 is, and are buying it because they believe someday it will be rarer and more valuable than now. Indeed i’m sure theres probably at least 1 person out there who thinks its the Flying Scotsman.

Comparatively to Rocket though, theres not that many on ebay, I think more people are holding on to them, R3809 Rocket was a much bigger frenzy, despite R3810 coming, theres no more coming where this one came from.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

it is desirable to people outside of the hobby, probably many of whom don't own any track, nor even know what a 66 is, and are buying it because they believe someday it will be rarer and more valuable than now. Indeed i’m sure theres probably at least 1 person out there who thinks its the Flying Scotsman.

Comparatively to Rocket though, theres not that many on ebay, I think more people are holding on to them, R3809 Rocket was a much bigger frenzy, despite R3810 coming, theres no more coming where this one came from.

bit judgemental perhaps, I don’t have a layout but did 30 years ago, this loco might well be the one that spurs me into modelling again. I certainly didn’t buy it to make a profit.

Maybe we should concentrate on acknowledging Hornby's initiative they seem to sold more than they expected, probably ended up at the limit for a batch and raised a lot of cash for charity. Whenever anybody does something special not just mode; railways then there will always be the chancers who will try and make a buck for themselves. I noted that Hattons who got a few didn't join the bandwagon but sold for normal price.

• Agree 5

Sadly mine got stuck at DHL Birmingham for 7 days and then was badly bashed on delivery. Waiting to hear back from customer services as the keen to get a replacement box and locomotive. 

Waiting to hear back from Customer Services. 

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, flapland said:

Sadly mine got stuck at DHL Birmingham for 7 days and then was badly bashed on delivery. Waiting to hear back from customer services as the keen to get a replacement box and locomotive. 

Waiting to hear back from Customer Services. 

I really hope that you get a good response.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I was told by a collector of die cast aircraft years ago that when a limited run is mentioned, it’s either serial number one or the last of the batch that are really worth the money when being sold on.

On 11/08/2020 at 11:26, sjgardiner said:

Having not been on RMWeb in a few days, I hadn't seen they were arriving. I checked my bank account and Hornby Account, it still shows as a pre-order to have payment taken on the Hornby site. I will update whenever it changes or I get something from them indicating a charge/shipment. I'm having it shipped to family in the UK as their overseas shipping was heinous, and I'll either have a bunch of things bundled with my Aunt for one parcel to Canada, or wait until my mom is able to go home again to see her mom whenever the days of Covid are over.

Stephen

FWIW I got the email about my order and payment today. It appears from my online banking the payment has gone through, so they are still clearly working their way through the orders.

Stephen

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, sjgardiner said:

FWIW I got the email about my order and payment today. It appears from my online banking the payment has gone through, so they are still clearly working their way through the orders.

Stephen

Mine is approximately 15 minutes away according to the DPD app, big delivery today, new iPhone, new iPad, train, phone case and iPad case

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, JamesV said:

Mine is approximately 15 minutes away according to the DPD app, big delivery today, new iPhone, new iPad, train, phone case and iPad case

I see Hornby missed the opportunity to up-sell you a train case :)

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

I had occasion to phone Hornby Customer Service this morning following an e-mail from Hornby advising that they were unable to process my payment for the Brighton Works Terrier and giving me ten days to sort otherwise they would cancel my order.    All now sorted but while on the call I took the opportunity to ask if I had possibly missed a similar e-mail re Captain Tom.   She assured me that my Captain Tom is still pending as a pre-order.