Molton - A BR Western Region branchline station

OnTheUp

Hello all!

I have been lurking on this website for a while now and today is the day I have decided to finally post!

The baseboards are up and pretty much finished, just need to work on the fiddle yard. I have also started painting the garage walls and floor (after watching New Junction on YouTube, it did look brighter to do so). I just need to add some more lighting above and some more power sources. I’ve laid the cork and soldered (for the first time ever) the dropper wires and roughly placed the track. I will test it for a few weeks before I look to do any ballasting.

My reasoning for a Western branchlike station is that I am based in Plymouth, having grown up with the GWR on my doorstep I can’t think of doing anything else. I will need some guidance as I am modelling late 50s/early 60s and as I am only a naive 26 year old, any pointers or sources of information will be much appreciated!

I have never taken on such a project, my DIY skills go as far as putting a few pictures on the wall. It’s not going to be perfect but with your help I hope to build an enjoyable layout that my 6 year old self only dreamed of.

Looking forward to the challenge!

Andy

IMG_8451.jpg.55e0d8993a9a469147c982112cb5a41e.jpgB8235964-1F92-43BE-87BA-A3BED7CACC91.JPG.614da04db17f010e435f5218a4095e77.JPGIMG_4136.jpg.9acce112ff1077a0ccdd9bbdcee581aa.jpg

• Like 13

4 hours ago, Jules said:

I shall be watching your progress with interest!  Always nice to see another GW layout, especially a through station.

Thank you! Took a while to settle on a through branchline station, but I am glad I did. I think it's a good place to start learning some techniques. 

Looks like a grand start Andy.

white walls and good lighting will make a huge difference. Plus I used a reflective gloss like garage floor paint too.

I chose bright red as it’s very easy to spot the small parts that always seem to drop of stock. Which inevitably seem to be black or dark gray and hard to spot on traditional garage floor paint colours. 

I’ve used LED strip lighting in my garage and was astonished by the difference it made compared to the standard type

strips.

i shall watch with great interest 

dan

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pigwife007 said:

Looks like a grand start Andy.

white walls and good lighting will make a huge difference. Plus I used a reflective gloss like garage floor paint too.

I chose bright red as it’s very easy to spot the small parts that always seem to drop of stock. Which inevitably seem to be black or dark gray and hard to spot on traditional garage floor paint colours. 

I’ve used LED strip lighting in my garage and was astonished by the difference it made compared to the standard type

strips.

i shall watch with great interest 

dan

Thanks Dan! 

I've taken a lot of notes from practises on here and YouTube to get me where I am today. I have currently just painted with a brush on the walls, need to go over will a roller to finish it off properly. Same white has been used on the floor for the time being to stop the dust. Will look at changing it at some point. 

I am going to get my friend who is an electrician to help me with the lights and plug sockets, as the garage is away from the house he kindly set me up a basic system when I moved in a few years back, that's one thing I won't mess with. LED is the route I'm thinking! 

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Welcome to RMWEB. I look forward to seeing progress and don’t forget that if you want any advice there are plenty of people here only too willing to help. Anyway it looks like you have made a good start.

Brian

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, sammyboy said:

If you had a N Gauge layout in that same space, you could have a Great Western main line!

I do have some track that my grandfather left me which is N gauge. I just have so much OO gauge stock, I just can't let it go! 

It's definitely going to happen at some stage though :D

16 hours ago, 88C said:

Welcome to RMWEB. I look forward to seeing progress and don’t forget that if you want any advice there are plenty of people here only too willing to help. Anyway it looks like you have made a good start.

Brian

Thank you! I am going to start picking people's brains soon for sure. I have a few books and found some websites, but I have found that this site has a lot of the answers! 

Andy