Scottish region steam

The start of a Great North of Scotland Railway V/F class (LNER D40) - something I've been toying with building for a while, especially having got a copy of the GA drawings in September.  Having ordered an 812 body off @Knuckles (progress on this to be updated) I figured it might be an idea to draw the D40 body in autocad instead of scratchbuilding from plastic card.  Downloaded the free version of Inventor Fusion, and started away - not thinking about the issue of different widths between 00 and true scale (EM etc) gauges! 

Back to starting it again, but happy enough how it looks at this stage - trying to get the sweep of the splashers was one thing that required a few goes to get right.  Hopefully once things get back to normal I'll give this a test print and draw up frames to be cut in acrylic. Failing that I have a spare B12 chassis to hack up into a 4-4-0.  If all goes well I can see myself visiting the archives again for more pre-grouping plans....Jones Big Goods, a NBR 4-4-2 or 0-6-2,tank... Or at least parts to aid with building

The most I've drawn and printed to date is 16mm scale WW1 accessories, and a few add ons for  4mm locos

GNSR V_F class EM screenshot.png

• Like 3

Rather than start right from the beginning again, I've utilised a version of the above file from before I did the boiler and smokebox for it - that boiler is probably too short by a good 10mm or so!

Today's progress with new firebox, boiler and smokebox drawn in - quite content even if some dimensions have had to be bodged by eye (I remember one article in Garden Rail saying "don't worry if you have to bodge it by eye, that's what people will use to look at it with")

Tomorrow's job (or whenever I next do some work on this) will be to draw in the fancy upper part of the roof, and the chimney - this, the safety valve and the dome will be getting drawn as separate pieces, intended to be printed separately.   

GNSR V_F class screenshot 2.png

• Like 4

Modified the cab windows today as they were a little far forward and when viewed from the side it didn't look quite right.  Overall a bit more recognisable as a D40, especially with the upper bit of the cab roof. Drew the chimney separate, then inserted into place to see how it looked - bad, but not too bad (to my eyes) was the answer.  Chimneys can be a difficult thing to draw normally, but the with the taper to it the GNSR style is even more difficult.   At school I made a CAD model of No 123 for a folio project, and the chimney was probably the most awkward part to get right - yes it could have been simpler, but as John Thomas said in The Springburn Story "a chimney is to a locomotive is what a hat is to a woman".

This chimney has the height right which is good, and the taper, just a little chunky so easy enough to redraw.  The dome and safety should be simpler (famous last words!) 

GNSR V_F class screenshot 3_with chimney.png

• Like 2

10 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

I don't know whether it will be of interest, but in the album of LNER & constituent companies locos, that Dad acquired from a Mr. Beckerlegge, is this one of a D40

Thanks Phil, yep that is a D40 (one of the 1920/21 superheated batch, would still have been a fairly new engine at the time of the picture) - a very nice nearly side on view 

Dome and smokebox door drawn tonight - bit limited with abilities and capabilities on Fusion, so no hinges for the smokebox door - I think I'll fabricate this out of thin card or plastic card.  Just to draw up the safety valve and buffers and then I'll send the files off to get a test print done.  Late night edit - Safety valve as built/as on Gordon Highlander drawn up too.  Time for bed now I think! 

GNSR V_F class screenshot 4.png

Edited by Caley 439
Additional progress, not really justified for another posting
  • Like 2