Coach liveries, early 1956

arctica

Hi All,

Long time no speak! Wonder if anyone out there can help with this... I'm modelling Bournemouth West (although not to this standard), set in March 1956, and I need some advice about the liveries of coaching stock. My understanding is that until 1957, BR used "blood and custard" as a national colour scheme, with regions allowed to use a more local scheme from 1957 on. Was this the case? Or did the Pines, being Midland stock still run in maroon in 1956? Also, were Bulleid and Maunsell coaches still running in Southern Railway colours at that time? Any advice or tips as where I can find out will be gratefully received..

Best

David

• RMweb Gold

The standard livery 1949 to 1956 was Crimson and Cream for main line stock or plain Crimson for non-corridor stock. it is estimated that about 30% of ex-SR stock was still carrying pre-nationalisation liveries by 1956. The Pines was LMR 'A' stock so would normally have all been in Crimson and Cream until the 1956 liveries were introduced. I'm not sure if any stock in LMS or LNER livery went straight to Blood & Custard but anything not repainted since 1948 would more likely have been ready for scrapping by then.