How to go about modelling unique locos?

Hi

I’m currently planning a small end-to-end heritage railway layout in N gauge. I want to include some specific locomotives that aren’t available as RTR stock and seemingly not as kits or 3D prints either.

Here’s a link to the locos in question: http://ingrowlocomuseum.com/?page_id=9

I don’t have any experience in kit building or model making so I appreciate I’d have to ramp up to any form of scratch building at this level. With all that in mind, I’m a bit lost on how to go about it full stop.

Are there any sub forums or resources that could best answer my question?

Cheers

Tough to achieve in N gauge, for the small locos. I suspect the best advice will come from the 2mm FS practitioners.

What I would suggest as a general approach if you want to operate the proposed layout and RTR product is acceptable,  is to look for the 'nearest thing' with a mechanism that will supply the basis for the class of loco you really want. Then the layout can be operated with the 'placeholder' locos, until you have developed the skill to fit the mechanism with a replacement body. Casting the net wide is probably necessary, look at global N gauge product to find RTR mechanisms

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi all,

If you really must have this engine there are people out there who would build it for you at a price. They might be able to use a propriety chassis and just scratch build the body. that would bring the price down a bit I suspect.

Guest Half-full
26 minutes ago, Barclay said:

Peco once made a Jubilee in N gauge - you may be able to get one secondhand.

Graham Farish make Jubilee these days

3 hours ago, Barclay said:

Peco once made a Jubilee in N gauge - you may be able to get one secondhand.

I’ve been able to get the Farish Jubilee ‘Bahamas’ so that’s one taken care of without too much trouble. Lovely model too.

The Webb Coal Tank would be my first choice if I could get anything scratch built. It was put out RTR by Bachmann for OO but I doubt it’ll trickle down to the Farish range any time soon (if at all).

13 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi all,

If you really must have this engine there are people out there who would build it for you at a price. They might be able to use a propriety chassis and just scratch build the body. that would bring the price down a bit I suspect.

That sounds promising, albeit expensive I imagine. Is there anyone on RMWeb who might fit the bill? I’m not all that familiar with the subforums here so not sure where to begin. The 2mm FS practitioners as suggested above?