Some Help Please Identifying EMU Ends - is it a 2-NOL? - Answered

Stentor

I have been given 2 sets of these white metal ends and I am trying to identify what EMU prototype they are.

I think they might be from a 2-NOL.

I did wonder if they are from a 2-BIL or a 2-HAL but I don't think so because the conduit pipe above the route indicator doesn't go to the cant rail for those types and the roof profile of these ends is too shallow to be a HAL or BIL.

Any help much appreciated.

//Simon

IMG_1258.JPG

Edited by Stentor

• RMweb Gold

Cab end definitely looks like a NOL or LAV, but the inner end looks like it's possibly from an EPB?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

The motormen's cab front is from a 3-SUB (later 4-SUB) of LBSCR origin, the flat roof profile is quite distinctive. They were some of the last wooden SUBs to survive with a number of reformed (all wooden stock) sets numbered in the 45XX series, they finally disappeared, I think, with the service cuts implemented with the winter TT 1958/59.

Edited by bécasse
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

As to the inner end if the casting is by MTK* then identifying the type of BR(SR) designed non corridor unit its supposed to go with just from the prototype body profile is difficult.

* because the quality of the casts that came out of the moulds was variable and the bodies were often distorted when they were packed like Russian dolls but into too small a box.

The inner end looks like a late production MTK part.

Take care.

Nick

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The cab end most closely matches a Diagram 689 Suburban driving cab from a 3-car unit.  These are widely referred to now as 3-Sub units but were never so called in SR days - they were always simply a "3".

It also closely resembles one of the final batch of 2-Nol units 1883-1890 though not the earlier ones which had a different conduit arrangement.  Both these and the diag.689 units had English Electric power equipment.  

The moulding is imprecise and also resembles a 2-Bil cab end although the roof dome over the cabs on these had a more pronounced dome shape.   

The only other use of this arrangement which I can find was on the th every different 2-Hal units and the first ten 4-Sub units known as "Shebas" 4101 - 4110 which otherwise had front ends closely resembling a 2-Hal with angled corners.  

I would accept the moulding as diag.689 "3" cab and it would certainly pass muster for a 2-Nol of that later batch.  This diagram number applied only to cars 9789 - 9800 of 1937 formed into units 1579 - 1584, later augmented as 4-Sub units having gained a new wide-body trailer and becoming 4424 - 4429.   

The inner end is generic and is broadly similar to many Southern Railway / Region multiple unit coaches.  I cannot locate images with specific detail matching the cab end coaches but it may be assumed this would be a reasonable representation of the inner ends.  

Lots of useful reference material in both volumes of "Southern Electric - A New History" by David Brown.  

• Thanks 1

Definitely not a HAL, Rick.

I would go with the 3/4 SUB or 2 NOL, and I don't think it looks right for a 4 LAV, although it wouldn't take much to mak it suit that.

For the trailing end I would go with Geep7's asessment as it has a distinctly BR standard side profile.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1