GWR Autocoach gear.

I saw a programme  on telly South Devon Railway with views of both ends. You can probably find what you want on youtube typing in GWR auto trains. There are quite a few on there.

Edited by d00m

• RMweb Premium

I have some diagrams that are supplied with Dart Castingsauto coach detailing kit which I found to be useful,  I could scan it for you.  The only snag is that it's in the club room and is not currently accessible, due to the current situation.

13 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I have some diagrams that are supplied with Dart Castingsauto coach detailing kit which I found to be useful,  I could scan it for you.  The only snag is that it's in the club room and is not currently accessible, due to the current situation.

Hi I have that drawing too. Although the Dart Castings bits don’t tend to fold up and locate that well hence I wanted to do something better. And would rather start from the prototype rather than another model.

• RMweb Premium

I am actually using the bits from David Geens Auto coach kit, but the destructions from Dart Casting are clearer. I do however use the steps and some of the castings from the kit.

Sorry that you won't be able to get the David Geen bits.

• RMweb Gold
On 02/05/2020 at 18:02, David Bigcheeseplant said:

Has anyone got close up photos or drawings of the autocoach control gear taken from the driving end and non driving end of GWR autocoches as I plan to do a detail etch, although the lockdown stops me from making a visit to Didcot to do it myself.

David

David, I have a number of photos which may help. Can you PM me with an email address.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Some pretty good descriptive photographs as well.  Sorted.

Maybe a visit to Didcot is in order, when the panicdemic is over!

Edited by The Johnster

• 2 months later...

Its been a while but I managed to get to Didcot to look at and measure the autocoach control gear on the steam railmotor tailer 93 and autocoach 190, unfortunately autocoach 231 was locked away in the paint shop. 

There are differences between the auto gear on 93 and 190 so I have used 190 as the basis of my design. Next up I will 3D print what I have drawn and if it fits draw it up for an etch.

The idea is that it can be built up on a baseplate then stuck to the underside of the floor of the Bachman model.

I still need to draw up the control gear for the non driving end too.

David 

Front_autogear_2020-Aug-03_06-22-13PM-000_CustomizedView13393806646_jpg.jpg

Front_autogear_2020-Aug-03_06-24-06PM-000_CustomizedView18572761411_jpg.jpg

Front_autogear_2020-Aug-03_06-25-31PM-000_CustomizedView11587721381_jpg.jpg

Edited by David Bigcheeseplant
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I Just printed off the autogear and other than a few minor tweeks it fits under the driving end really well, I was going to redraw the parts for an etch but looking how this D print came out as a single piece  I think I may just stick with the D print as its probably finer than soldering up an etch and a piece of cake to stick it in place too, I will now draw up the bits for the other end.

Once I have these I will offer the parts for sale please let me know those who are interested.

David 

IMG_8913.jpg

IMG_8915.jpg

IMG_8916.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Second print run with some mods, I really can't believe how fine I managed to get these printed, the little 0.2mm hole where the control gear links to the next coach has been printed plus a hexagonal bolt head! I really don't think I could get these finer by etching. Now to work up the bits under the luggage end.

What is good about these is that is a simple one piece part that glues straight on to the underside of the floor.

IMG_8941.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

After a number of requests I have scaled the print up for 7mm scale, these prints failed on one of the linkages  but I can sort that out, i worked fine on yesterdays print but I did make some changes. The cost of the 4mm versions are £7.50 plus postage I need to cost the price for the 7mm version. I only went live with these last night and already have quite a few orders, I think my printer will be busy!

David

IMG_8997.jpg

IMG_9001.jpg

IMG_9004.jpg

• Like 1

Some more prints with some red primer I have added the tension spring and the control rod and I think this is as far as I go with any tweaks.

I am looking to get some cardboard tubes to post these, and have started to batch print now. so once I know costings of P&P I will be in contact with people who have placed orders.  

David

IMG_9047.jpg

IMG_9048.jpg

• Like 3

I have now drawn up the rear autogear and am doing a test print 4mm and 7mm scales now.

I have been looking at photos books and MRJ 8 where Mike Clark did drawings of the diagram A30 & A28  It seems the Control rod on the A30, A38, A39, A40 and A43 ran on one side only while on the A28 and I expect A27 and A28 it changed sides half way along the coach so at the rear end the arm to this will be at a different side, so I may have to do a couple of variations . 

Rear_Auto_Gear_New_2020-Aug-12_12-42-21PM-000_CustomizedView33487797565_jpg.jpg

Rear_Auto_Gear_New_2020-Aug-12_12-44-33PM-000_CustomizedView24027967620_jpg.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

So, the thing you really want to hear about now is more variations, right?  A43/4 had flat ends, as did the Sharpness-Lydney Severn Bridge Brake Composties that I can't remember the diagram number of off hand (A34?).  Then there were the Clifton Downs coaches and similar, including some converted Dean clerestories, and the original steam railmotor which was converted to no.1 in the auto numbering series.

Some of these flatenders were intermediate all 3rd compartment stock, which require flat end gear but no connection to the regulator in the driving cab as there was no driving cab.

Edited by The Johnster

23 hours ago, The Johnster said:

So, the thing you really want to hear about now is more variations, right?  A43/4 had flat ends, as did the Sharpness-Lydney Severn Bridge Brake Composties that I can't remember the diagram number of off hand (A34?).  Then there were the Clifton Downs coaches and similar, including some converted Dean clerestories, and the original steam railmotor which was converted to no.1 in the auto numbering series.

Some of these flatenders were intermediate all 3rd compartment stock, which require flat end gear but no connection to the regulator in the driving cab as there was no driving cab.

I do know most of the variations as I have the two volumes of the Wild Swan autocoach books it is really the control gear which I need to find the variations on.

have now printed the rear autogear which has come out well as per the photos, prices are in  4mm scale £7.50 just for the driving end and £14 for the driving end and language end. In 7mm scale the prices are £13 for the driving end and £24 for both. I need to check postage rates to see if the boxes I will collect tomorrow will be large letter or a small parcel.

The auto control rod I have modelled up against the end of the coach I can amend it down to show it connected up, although I am going on that when running on the layout the crew didn't bother linking it up as it was too much hassle.

IMG_9122.jpg

IMG_9123.jpg

IMG_9124.jpg

IMG_9128.jpg

Edited by David Bigcheeseplant
  • Like 5