GWR Goods Shed - What did I get wrong?

I need your help and advice please?

I've built this goods shed based on the Ratio kit which is supposed to be typical GWR (or as typical as GWR gets).  However, on reflection I'm not sure I have the paint scheme correct for the Edwardian period.  For example, I've painted the barge boards chocolate, but I think they should be dark stone, and I'm not sure about the doors, currently cream, should they be light stone or dark stone?  Interior roof timbers currently unpainted, is this correct as far as we know?

Any other suggestions or feedback warmly received, before I start adding interior detail, signs, barrels, pallet-ed engines, sack trucks, shades for the lights, etc.

IMG_20200502_162509072_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200502_162533766.jpg

IMG_20200502_162553699.jpg

IMG_20200502_162609316.jpg

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Thank you @gwrrob,

It was reading the website that made me concerned I had the colour scheme wrong.  I've learned the barge boards should be light stone, but should the doors be light (1) or dark (2), I'm not clear from the notes on this point particularly, and similarly the wood above the entrance, would I be right in saying this should be light stone too?

Thanks

John

• RMweb Gold

Hi John

Not totally sure about Edwardian period colours with the GWR....

But most GWR affectionados agree with these colours for this railway.......

Faded tones.......................

7445_at_Fairford.jpg.656e6051f379f1300619bbeb60f7ecdf.jpg

an-old-doorway-marked-fire-department-in-the-goods-shed-at-bewdley-station-on-the-severn-valley-railway-worcestershire-T10TJ0.jpg.18cc27c92badc27e80967cbca6ce078e.jpg

I use Phoenix /precision enamels as they are reputedly the most near to prototype...

DSC04588.JPG.47a15a27a18a8ddf18a5f0d44afcaab5.JPG

DSC04679.JPG.2bf6af614cfe88f6bdcc254df7b355fa.JPG

Back in the 70`sand 80`s there was a misunderstanding about top and undercoats for the GWR and the wrong colours were produced like this....

OIP.jpg.c846bac9d456e3efc2b95dd9b2fac5da.jpg

So maybe you should be heading in this direction.................

s-l640.jpg.b892481926632e9f7bb770f4fefd7bcf.jpg

post-6981-0-36544900-1359152851.jpg.87318f19507a9c905ef160a24615915c.jpg

However there is never an exact style......

Hope this helps...a bit....

John

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

Thanks @ROSSPOP, great pictures, and some models to aspire too :) 

The door pic is useful for the paint colours, I can mix to these now.   I can see I've used completely the wrong colour for the wood work, I'll redo as light stone.  I notice on the Ratio model they have the door edges dk stone, and the interior of the doors as lt stone, however your version is all dk stone(?).   Does this vary from location to location?  I would expect on the good yard ease of maintenance would rule and your version be more realistic, but I'm not sure.   I can see I need to redo the roof light outside frame as lt stone too, and not white.  I'll also redo the gutters too as these are too dark.

BTW, very impressive station building. :) 

The picture shows discolouration on part of the timber (water damage, as under the skylight), but I would say no, unpainted on the main timbers.

There is a gorgeous shot of the interior of the goods shed at Paignton, dating from 1922, as in my picture showing whitewashed walls and roof.

• RMweb Premium

I have pictures of shed doors that are dark stone for the bottom 5 or 6 foot and light stone above. I get the feeling that the colours were stipulated, but the application was left to whoever was doing the job on the day.

• Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, Tim V said:

The picture shows discolouration on part of the timber (water damage, as under the skylight), but I would say no, unpainted on the main timbers.

There is a gorgeous shot of the interior of the goods shed at Paignton, dating from 1922, as in my picture showing whitewashed walls and roof.

That's in 'A Great Western Gallery' (GW Soc 1974) & perhaps elsewhere subsequently. Tim, Where's your photo of?

Martin

1 hour ago, martinT said:

That's in 'A Great Western Gallery' (GW Soc 1974) & perhaps elsewhere subsequently. Tim, Where's your photo of?

Martin

My picture is of Midsomer Norton shed 15/8/1976.

• Thanks 1