Hornby Class 56

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I’m thinking of getting several Hornby Class 56’s and repainting them into the new DC Rail livery but I’m very wary of buying one, because I’ve got one only to find out it’s an older version.  If I want to go for the latest models, are there certain “R” numbers I need to look out for?

• RMweb Gold

I’m not sure on which R numbers but i tend to stick to 56059 or 56103 in EWS, 56303 in DCR green or 56302 in fastline . These are all super detailed ones with the correct roof grill set up for any 2020 56’s on the mainline. Just be careful with 56059 as I think they do the lesser model with this running number.

Edited by Andy7
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

Guest Half-full

Easiest way to tell the difference is to look at the roof grilles, if they appear sunken, then that is the 'super detailed' models - they can benefit from replacement grilles.

Another way to tell are by the couplings, the older model has quite chunky tension locks, newer ones much smaller

Another quick tell is if you look at the cab doors and see a black rectangle at the bottom of the door its an old tool model. The chassis clips used to stick through the body so you got those rectangles. Ive thrown together a quick diagram. The thing im talking about is highlighted by a yellow box. Please excuse the old tool being mirrored it was running in the opposite direction :P

Class 56 comp.jpg

You can also go to https://www.modelraildatabase.com and type in the R number there. If the model is DCC fitted or DCC ready and has a 5 pole skew wound motor its a new tool model. The old ones had ringfield motors.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Br60066
Added Note
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

R2645 and above is the new tooling, note r2645 in itself is rare as rocking horse...

if in doubt look for the foot steps under the 4 cab corners... present = new tooling, metal buffers and radio aerials are giveaways too. Shows how good the old tooling was if its that hard to identify.

Service sheet 310 is the new tooling, though note the electrics on DCC fitted ones are different to dcc ready versions... relating to LEDs.

Consider though the new tooling has several permutations, Roumanian, Headlight style, different front grills etc.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Another way to tell is the roof fan grilles... the newer version has a lip around them making them appear depressed. 

some of the really old ones (probably back to the Dapol version) also had a slightly odd purple glazing. 

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Br60066 said:

Another quick tell is if you look at the cab doors and see a black rectangle at the bottom of the door its an old tool model. The chassis clips used to stick through the body so you got those rectangles. Ive thrown together a quick diagram. The thing im talking about is highlighted by a yellow box. Please excuse the old tool being mirrored it was running in the opposite direction :P

Class 56 comp.jpg

You can also go to https://www.modelraildatabase.com and type in the R number there. If the model is DCC fitted or DCC ready and has a 5 pole skew wound motor its a new tool model. The old ones had ringfield motors.

Hope that helps.

On another note, this pic/computer render of 56059 is not right. The roof grills are wrong and various details are missing from the chassis along with the wrong buffers. The roof grills are really odd though. See below pic.

image.jpeg.54c6418360513ff07c1a2ba7d5ee3dca.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 1

If you can handle them then the heavy ones have a central motor and all wheel drive. The lighter models are single motor bogie drive so the dummy bogie wheels will rotate freely.

3 hours ago, Andy7 said:

On another note, this pic/computer render of 56059 is not right. The roof grills are wrong and various details are missing from the chassis along with the wrong buffers. The roof grills are really odd though. See below pic.

image.jpeg.54c6418360513ff07c1a2ba7d5ee3dca.jpeg

Well spotted I didnt even realise :P

The price is also a good indicator the original Dapol.mainline/ early Hornby should cost you no more than £40, and the later Hornby models more likely the other side of £60.00.

The early models also had a crew and the coupling is part of the bogie, and also smaller and more produced curve on the front screen, traction tyres, a ring field type power unit along with less pronounced bogie detail.... but that aside the best rtr available Deseil for a long time until Bachmann/ Hornby upped their game.

On 03/05/2020 at 14:31, adb968008 said:

R2645 and above is the new tooling, note r2645 in itself is rare as rocking horse...

Service sheet 310 is the new tooling, though note the electrics on DCC fitted ones are different to dcc ready versions... relating to LEDs.

I have R2645X in BR Blue. Discussions with Hornby indicate there have been several iterations of main PCB for this heavy chassis 56. 

If messing with the lighting be aware the leds are in the lighting clusters which form part of the firmly glued in drivers desk. The associated resistors are on the PCB. I was testing my leds in the body and blew one end, so I now know where the resistors are and how difficult it is to replace the leds. I have also hard wired round those pesky bent wire spring contacts twixt body snd chassis for the lights.

DDD5D5E0-E29F-4A91-8A7C-6A1F90E20BDA.png

Edited by RAF96
Thin out the quoted text.
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 04/05/2020 at 00:01, atom3624 said:

It is one of Hornby's best - fantastic locomotive!

Al.

It is indeed one of my personal favourites too, even if I find the roof fans a little gimmicky (easily fixed)

I also have a few that have had partially seized drivetrain after sitting on a shelf and never turning a wheel in anger for many years.  A strip down and clean a lube followed by a good running in on a rolling road always restores them to superb runners though. Tends to be the worm drive bearings that need attention I've found.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I love seeing those fans rotating tbh - I've read the reasons why to disconnect, but they look so good in operation.

Bachmann locomotives just seem like toys in comparison, if you understand what I mean.

Glad you agree with my thoughts on the locomotive.

I'll bear the momentarily redundant comments in mind with mine - ensure it gets lubed and used fairly regularly.

Al.

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, Foden said:

It is indeed one of my personal favourites too, even if I find the roof fans a little gimmicky (easily fixed)

I also have a few that have had partially seized drivetrain after sitting on a shelf and never turning a wheel in anger for many years.  A strip down and clean a lube followed by a good running in on a rolling road always restores them to superb runners though. Tends to be the worm drive bearings that need attention I've found.

Funny you should mention seized Hornby drivetrains. I just had a class 60 with the exact same problem this week where the lube had gone rock hard and sticky in the bearings. Bit of IPA and fresh lube and it goes like new :)

• RMweb Gold
On 03/05/2020 at 14:31, adb968008 said:

if in doubt look for the foot steps under the 4 cab corners... present = new tooling, metal buffers and radio aerials are giveaways too. Shows how good the old tooling was if its that hard to identify.

Consider though the new tooling has several permutations, Roumanian, Headlight style, different front grills etc.

Picked my R2645 up for £65 at Warley. It had been sold as new old stock prior to the show, but retuned as it had squeaky bogies As others have said a good clean and lube of bogies and drive train solved that. I love it. 

There is a R2645X on Ebay at the moment for just shy of £180. 

(Note to self: must fit sound to mine)

Roy

On 17/05/2020 at 14:58, Br60066 said:

Funny you should mention seized Hornby drivetrains. I just had a class 60 with the exact same problem this week where the lube had gone rock hard and sticky in the bearings. Bit of IPA and fresh lube and it goes like new :)

It seems to happen often on my Hornby diesels. I have had it happen on a class 31 and class 56. Not yet happened to the HST though.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, JSpencer said:

It seems to happen often on my Hornby diesels. I have had it happen on a class 31 and class 56. Not yet happened to the HST though.

I bought an EMT HST like that, removed the shaft, clean the bearings, bit of oil and good as new once more.

• Like 2

On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 10:00, Foden said:

Ive had that exact problem recently. Completely seized, but with the body off and a strip down and lubrication they are both back to normal

• Like 1