Fruit D BR blue era transfers

Hello all,

I have a couple of the newer tooling Dapol Fruit D's which I know have their deficiencies.  Putting them next to a Hornby Van C or Bachmann Mk1 CCT, they look like they're from a different modelling era.  Bearing in mind I would have been a young child when I last saw any on the big railway, I can live with the side panels and the width, but not the fictitious numbers and markings.

I would like to add roof vents, vacuum pipes and give them a repaint, but cannot find the appropriate BR blue era decals.  HMRS don't seem to have anything for a 1970s Fruit D and unfortunately, Modelmaster don't have images for either of their "MM4863 Fruit, Banana, Gunpowder & Bulk Grain Vans, fitted. With Yellow Spots for Banana Vans" or "MM4456 BR Parcels Van markings, Pre TOPS codes White (used 1964 -1974)".

Specifically, I am looking for: “FRUIT D” or “PASFRUIT”, “PASSENGER” and “XP” in the boxes, along with the other markings seen here and here

If anyone can help, please let me know.

Alun

• Like 1

Alun,

I recently applied those transfers to some old Hornby Dublo wagons. Try the following:

mmpc74-transfers-for-ex-gwr-fruit-d-goods-van.jpg.e54ec2d17fcd418f03bfb7951a799dcb.jpg

I got mine from ModelMasters; https://modelmaster.uk/home/24501-mmpc74-transfers-for-ex-gwr-fruit-d-goods-van.html?search_query=pc74&results=1, although I actually used their eBay site (modelmasteruk).

Just beware that the transfers are on a gloss clear carrier, and so the application of a matt clearcoat afterwards is advised.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, ISW said:

Try the following:

Thank you Ian.  If the transfers were white as opposed to yellow, I could have got away with the lack of boxes around the letters and numbers.  I've emailed Modelmaster to see if they do something similar in white.

1 hour ago, YK 50A said:

Thank you Ian.  If the transfers were white as opposed to yellow, I could have got away with the lack of boxes around the letters and numbers.  I've emailed Modelmaster to see if they do something similar in white.

Railtec might do some, or be able to do some. They seem to stock a range of other white lettering for GUVs, Siphons etc.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fat Controller said:

Railtec might do some, or be able to do some. They seem to stock a range of other white lettering for GUVs, Siphons etc.

Thanks for that, I'll also drop Railtec a message.

To wrap this up for now, Steve from Railtec got back to me with a very full email, but they don't do a BR blue era Fruit D sheet.  That might change, but it depends if demand is there.

John at Cambridge Custom Transfers produces a Fruit D sheet, but I suspect it's steam era.  I shouldn't presume, so I've emailed him just in case.

Unless I've missed something, I think my best bet would be to use a combination of HMRS sheets: "BR blue era loco and coach insignia to circa 1978" and "BR revenue vehicles pre-TOPS".  There are also a variety of white lining options (for the boxes around the words and numbers), but I wouldn't hold out any hope of being able to get that right, bearing in mind the how tight the spaces are.

If I hear anything else, I will update the thread.  Likewise, if anyone knows different or comes across alternatives, please let me know.

Alun

27 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

If it helps, I'm with you for white fruit D sheet, so that's two of us!

Mike.

Thanks Mike, I'll let Railtec know.  If anyone else would buy a BR blue era Fruit D sheet, do say so.

2 hours ago, YK 50A said:

Thanks Mike, I'll let Railtec know.  If anyone else would buy a BR blue era Fruit D sheet, do say so.

I'll have one as well; the van's only been sitting around for five years. As an aside, does anyone remember the excellent transfers that Mopok did? I noticed that Wizard had them on their site recently- these must surely be a new run, as the originals would be almost 50 years old.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

I'll have one as well; the van's only been sitting around for five years. As an aside, does anyone remember the excellent transfers that Mopok did? I noticed that Wizard had them on their site recently- these must surely be a new run, as the originals would be almost 50 years old.

I'm pretty certain that the Mopok sheet for blue era NPCCS had FRUIT D, PASSFRUIT D and PASSENGER, (together with suitable numbers), on it (in white).

If Wizard still offer the sheets, it'd be worth enquiring.

John Isherwood.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cctransuk said:

I'm pretty certain that the Mopok sheet for blue era NPCCS had FRUIT D, PASSFRUIT D and PASSENGER, (together with suitable numbers), on it (in white).

If Wizard still offer the sheets, it'd be worth enquiring.

John Isherwood.

I've checked the Wizard website - in the Clearance section there are some of the old Mopok transfers sheets, and the NPCCS sheet does have the required lettering. Unfortunately, I can't find the white version - only the yellow one.

John Isherwood.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

The ones Andrew at Wizard is selling was the left over stocks from when Mainly Trains closed down. He still has the same name and numberplates and they are original Jackson Evans. Can't be exact about the date but they must be from well before the millennium.

Jason

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, YK 50A said:

Thank you @cctransuk and also for your kind and helpful email, which I will reply to separately.

So, that's four of us @Enterprisingwestern, @SM42 and @Fat Controller.  I'll wait until tomorrow to see if anyone else expresses an interest.

Alun

Mark me down for a set please

Douglas

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I would be interested in some white transfers too.  Looking at the Wizard Models site, the only Mopok transfers still in stock for coaching stock seem to be yellow rather than white.

I built a couple of Parkside kits a few years ago as models of the departmental Fruit D vans, TDB975335/7/9 that used to operate between Exeter St Davids and Barnstaple. There are, as ever, some excellent photos on Paul Bartlett's site at https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/fruitd. I could source the numbers and the data panels, but not some of the other markings, so the project stalled at the final step.

Best wishes,

David

On 05/05/2020 at 16:21, dmsmith said:

I would be interested in some white transfers too.  Looking at the Wizard Models site, the only Mopok transfers still in stock for coaching stock seem to be yellow rather than white.

I built a couple of Parkside kits a few years ago as models of the departmental Fruit D vans, TDB975335/7/9 that used to operate between Exeter St Davids and Barnstaple. There are, as ever, some excellent photos on Paul Bartlett's site at https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/fruitd. I could source the numbers and the data panels, but not some of the other markings, so the project stalled at the final step.

Best wishes,

David

Hi,

Yes, I am very familiar with Paul Bartlett's work and it's a great website.  The pictures I posted are from John Turner's Flickr site, which is another excellent resource.  Out of interest, what did you use for the data panels?  I'm not sure I would be able to get the white lines/boxes anywhere near close.  EDIT: I am sure I wouldn't stand a chance!

For those that have shown an interest, I emailed Steve at Railtec again this morning.

Alun

*** EDIT Wednesday 6th May 2020*** More dialogue with Railtec today.  I have done my best with relevant dimensions and also provided more detail regarding the prototype.

Edited by YK 50A
  • Like 1

I really like the Dapol fruit D and the departmental versions that lasted into the 80’s are certainly easier to recreate. Pictured is Departmental NQV DB975340 using individual number and letter combination decals. 

BBFA11B0-5E91-4154-84A1-028D91559E27.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

40 minutes ago, JohnR said:

I'm surprised that no one has commissioned one from Dapol in a more accurate livery?

...or that the blue Dapol isn't more accurate in the first place.

I believe the "GW" Dapol Fruit D's are also inaccurate, as the branding was obsolete by the time the first Fruit D's were built.  At least Dapol also do a Shirtbutton, there's several different transfer sheets for the GWR and BR steam eras and to be fair, it is an error that has been replicated on several heritage railways.

• RMweb Premium
On 05/05/2020 at 18:14, YK 50A said:

Hi,

Yes, I am very familiar with Paul Bartlett's work and it's a great website.  The pictures I posted are from John Turner's Flickr site, which is another excellent resource.  Out of interest, what did you use for the data panels?  I'm not sure I would be able to get the white lines/boxes anywhere near close.  EDIT: I am sure I wouldn't stand a chance!

For those that have shown an interest, I emailed Steve at Railtec again this morning.

Alun

*** EDIT Wednesday 6th May 2020*** More dialogue with Railtec today.  I have done my best with relevant dimensions and also provided more detail regarding the prototype.

Alun,

I usually use the data panels from miscellaneous Fox transfer sheets that I have accumulated. You'll see from the attached photos that I didn't get as far as applying even the numbers or data panels. It is a long time since I got these out of my stock box, and even then, I see that I couldn't get one of them on the track! For what it is worth, these are Parkside kits, built to P4 standards with sprung w-irons and detailed underframes. 

Thanks for all of your efforts in sourcing some transfers so that I can finish them off.

Best wishes,

David 

IMG_1506.jpeg

IMG_1507.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

46 minutes ago, dmsmith said:

Alun,

I usually use the data panels from miscellaneous Fox transfer sheets that I have accumulated. You'll see from the attached photos that I didn't get as far as applying even the numbers or data panels. It is a long time since I got these out of my stock box, and even then, I see that I couldn't get one of them on the track! For what it is worth, these are Parkside kits, built to P4 standards with sprung w-irons and detailed underframes. 

Thanks for all of your efforts in sourcing some transfers so that I can finish them off.

Best wishes,

David 

IMG_1506.jpeg

IMG_1507.jpeg

Is it just the photographs - or are those FRUIT Ds painted in Ice Blue, as latterly used by British Rail for insulated vans?

If so, do you know something that most of us don't?

John Isherwood.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

It is just the photographs! The originals were rather dilapidated when in departmental use, so I used (I think!) Railmatch faded blue. They need to be dirtied after I apply the transfers and that will darken them considerably.  I took the photos in haste today whilst the sun was shining. They aren’t really that light!

Best wishes

David