Fruit D BR blue era transfers

1 hour ago, dmsmith said:

Alun,

I usually use the data panels from miscellaneous Fox transfer sheets that I have accumulated. You'll see from the attached photos that I didn't get as far as applying even the numbers or data panels. It is a long time since I got these out of my stock box, and even then, I see that I couldn't get one of them on the track! For what it is worth, these are Parkside kits, built to P4 standards with sprung w-irons and detailed underframes. 

Thanks for all of your efforts in sourcing some transfers so that I can finish them off.

Best wishes,

David 

IMG_1506.jpeg

IMG_1507.jpeg

They look great, really well put together by you.  The ventilators, rainstrips and van ends look particularly well detailed in comparison to the Dapol, as well as the obvious stuff like the louvres between the doors.  I'm guessing it will be dimensionally closer too, although I doubt I would notice that.  If we ever get the transfers sorted out, I might attempt a couple.

Regarding the data panels, I had come to a similar conclusion and spare Mk1 CCT panels from the HMRS would have to do the job.  I can't read them!

I sent Steve from Railtec an email just now, to see if he's had any more thoughts on producing a transfer sheet.  Much like @cctransuk, he's been very helpful so far.

Alun

Hi all,

Steve at Railtec emailed me back on Monday night, but I haven't been able to update the thread because of work commitments.  The big railway is keeping me busy.

The great news is that Railtec are going to produce a BR blue era / white lettering 4mm transfer sheet for the Fruit D.  Unfortunately, he cannot give timescales yet.  What I will do is update the thread and tag @Enterprisingwestern, @SM42, @Fat Controller, @drjcontroller, @dmsmith, @ChrisMitchell, @2mm Andy and anyone else that shows an interest, as soon as I know more.  @mike hughes, I've told Railtec that there is also interest for a 7mm sheet and he has the link for this thread.

All the best,

Alun

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, YK 50A said:

Hi all,

Steve at Railtec emailed me back on Monday night, but I haven't been able to update the thread because of work commitments.  The big railway is keeping me busy.

The great news is that Railtec are going to produce a BR blue era / white lettering 4mm transfer sheet for the Fruit D.  Unfortunately, he cannot give timescales yet.  What I will do is update the thread and tag @Enterprisingwestern, @SM42, @Fat Controller, @drjcontroller, @dmsmith, @ChrisMitchell, @2mm Andy and anyone else that shows an interest, as soon as I know more.  @mike hughes, I've told Railtec that there is also interest for a 7mm sheet and he has the link for this thread.

All the best,

Alun

Ah brilliant, least there's a chance when I produce the kit there'll a choice of transfers for Blue livery

Michael

• Like 1

On 13/05/2020 at 18:54, YK 50A said:

Hi all,

All the best,

Alun

Count me in please Alun!! Great work!

I have had to go with a non-prototypical mash up for my fruit d so some proper ones would be great!! 

Dave

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, westernviscount said:

Count me in please Alun!! Great work!

I have had to go with a non-prototypical mash up for my fruit d so some proper ones would be great!! 

Dave

In is in, Dave!

Likewise, I was going to patch together what I could from a couple of HMRS sheets.  I've waited a while, so a while longer won't do any harm.

Alun

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 15/05/2020 at 19:46, YK 50A said:

In is in, Dave!

Likewise, I was going to patch together what I could from a couple of HMRS sheets.  I've waited a while, so a while longer won't do any harm.

Alun

Will the railtec transfers be appropriate for those departmental ones used on the Exeter-Barnstaple line in the 70s/80s? 

33 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Will the railtec transfers be appropriate for those departmental ones used on the Exeter-Barnstaple line in the 70s/80s? 

When I find the opportunity to research, design and test these (important explanation about why some topics / requests for new work can take a long time to get to / produce here: https://www.railtec-models.com/have-you-done-it-yet.php), it will really help if the content of the pack could be driven by what most modellers will find useful. Obviously the prospect of a pack pleasing absolutely everybody is a little bit like a politician's job, and everybody will have their own view on what would be useful for their own needs. At this point and probably without most people's input it's impossible for me to determine if departmental variants will cater for the majority. But - if I can hit the mark for most then hopefully it will offer a hugely useful and quality product at a great price without the need to buy multiple sheets just to do a couple of vehicles.

My own prime expertise is early 80s onwards when I would stand on P11 at Victoria breathing in the waft of the Boddington's brewery, although driving Railtec for 10+ years has seen that grow exponentially, but for very specific topics like this then the more info that can readily be provided then the higher the likelihood of something being made and the higher the likelihood of it being made sooner. So when making any new pack then the kind of hugely useful info goes something like:

- 1 typical vehicle contains: number (height? / prefix(es?) / suffix(es?) / number range?),  list of main markings (text? / height? / any critical widths e.g. between uprights? / did they vary?), list of smaller markings (what specifically are they / dimensions etc)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On ‎27‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 12:00, railtec-models said:

When I find the opportunity to research, design and test these (important explanation about why some topics / requests for new work can take a long time to get to / produce here: https://www.railtec-models.com/have-you-done-it-yet.php), it will really help if the content of the pack could be driven by what most modellers will find useful. Obviously the prospect of a pack pleasing absolutely everybody is a little bit like a politician's job, and everybody will have their own view on what would be useful for their own needs. At this point and probably without most people's input it's impossible for me to determine if departmental variants will cater for the majority. But - if I can hit the mark for most then hopefully it will offer a hugely useful and quality product at a great price without the need to buy multiple sheets just to do a couple of vehicles.

My own prime expertise is early 80s onwards when I would stand on P11 at Victoria breathing in the waft of the Boddington's brewery, although driving Railtec for 10+ years has seen that grow exponentially, but for very specific topics like this then the more info that can readily be provided then the higher the likelihood of something being made and the higher the likelihood of it being made sooner. So when making any new pack then the kind of hugely useful info goes something like:

- 1 typical vehicle contains: number (height? / prefix(es?) / suffix(es?) / number range?),  list of main markings (text? / height? / any critical widths e.g. between uprights? / did they vary?), list of smaller markings (what specifically are they / dimensions etc)

I've measurements of such things as the plank widths etc of a Fruit D which when I find time I'll forward to you

Michael

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 04/05/2020 at 09:05, YK 50A said:

Thanks Mike, I'll let Railtec know.  If anyone else would buy a BR blue era Fruit D sheet, do say so.

I too would very much like a sheet of transfers for the BR blue Fruit D in 4mm scale, I have a pair of Parkside Fruit D models ready to spray BR blue.

During March this year I contacted Steve at Railtec about the possibility of supplying transfers for these but unless I was able to supply precise dimensions and details he did not have the resource to put to research them at the time.

pictures from John Turner Flickr.

23783205938_815026ecb1_o.jpg

26552961239_43c44f1bc9_o (1).jpg

35981004912_3815f2bbfd_o.jpg

23877173618_7fb3cbd995_o.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bubbles2 said:

I too would very much like a sheet of transfers for the BR blue Fruit D in 4mm scale, I have a pair of Parkside Fruit D models ready to spray BR blue.

During March this year I contacted Steve at Railtec about the possibility of supplying transfers for these but unless I was able to supply precise dimensions and details he did not have the resource to put to research them at the time.

pictures from John Turner Flickr.

I don't want to speak for Steve @railtec-models and he has posted above.  However, when I made my original enquiry, I sent links to the photos you posted (I'm acquainted with John Turner) and I got a very helpful response.

I subsequently sent measurements taken from the Dapol model, the numbers of those Fruit D's still in capital stock circa 1972, sample departmental numbers for those used on the Exeter to Barnstaple services and elsewhere, and variations in markings (FRUIT D, PASFRUIT, different Tare ratings, etc).

In the post above yours, @mike hughes said he will forward accurate dimensions when he is able.

I think it's just a case of waiting, hoping Steve finds the resource of time and that subsequent sales make the effort worthwhile.

Alun

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, PMP said:

May I add my name to the Blue 4mm list please.

Definitely!  As and when Railtec produce a sheet, I will make sure everyone that has shown an interest gets tagged and a message.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, YK 50A said:

I don't want to speak for Steve @railtec-models and he has posted above.  However, when I made my original enquiry, I sent links to the photos you posted (I'm acquainted with John Turner) and I got a very helpful response.

I subsequently sent measurements taken from the Dapol model, the numbers of those Fruit D's still in capital stock circa 1972, sample departmental numbers for those used on the Exeter to Barnstaple services and elsewhere, and variations in markings (FRUIT D, PASFRUIT, different Tare ratings, etc).

In the post above yours, @mike hughes said he will forward accurate dimensions when he is able.

I think it's just a case of waiting, hoping Steve finds the resource of time and that subsequent sales make the effort worthwhile.

Alun

Definitely add me to the list. 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hi guys,

I used Railtec's 7mm yellow fruit D sheet back a couple of years or so and it was excellent. Also had a couple of commissions carried out to a very high standard, again in 7mm.

Just started to dabble in 4mm scale and would like to add my name to the list for white fruit D markings please. Just checked the Railtec site and none shown as yet.

Thanks Richard

• Like 2

Thanks to all for their help and input so far. At great risk of inviting a deluge by chiming in here, I just wanted to acknowledge the thread and to say these are still very much on the radar. Once I've had the opportunity to collate all the info, I may chime back in asking for any more clarity on the finer points if needed, and then it'll be on to the graphic design so that they can finally be printed on the spot printed tech. Usual disclaimer - if something isn't on the web site then it's not fully baked yet. Anyone who braves the Facebook madness and/or keeps an eye on the Railtec site will see that every week there's a relentless slog to release a ton of new product (and not just generic type designs where all the detail looks the same but carefully crafted artwork), and I do eventually get to projects. Hopefully it will be worth the wait for everybody.

Thanks,

Steve

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, bubbles2 said:

Having waited this long for BR blue Fruit D transfers I think I’ll have a go at making my own, does anyone know what font was used on BR blue liveries?

I know that nothing I could do would be up to scratch, so I'm desperate for these to come out. 

• 1 year later...