1 hour ago, 5050 said:

I've gor several of the Chilton chauldron wagon kits in the different varieties.  Might get round to building them someday if I ever have a suitable layout!

If I remember aright, they made different variations of chauldron wagon.
Are the kits whitemetal or brass?
Regards,
Chris.

• CXW1 changed the title to Northeast Industrial Stuff

I’ve changed the name of the thread to Northeast Industrial Stuff because not everything on here is based at Tanfield. But I’m going to stay faithful to the Northeast, hence the new name.

Over the past few weeks I’ve been making a model of ‘South Durham Malleable No. 5’ which is currently in poor condition at Beamish Museum. It was actually based at Tanfield for a while in the 1970s when Beamish Museum used the Marley Hill shed as a store.

Records suggest that the prototype was built in 1873 by the South Durham Steel & Iron Company at their works in Stockton and was constructed from spare parts and some old bits and pieces from a Black Hawthorn loco.

Nameplates are on order from Narrow Planet.

832636659_MalleableNo.5-2.jpg.be6ae1e0ef5700300006d20720e3199e.jpg

I’ve made a compromise with the wheels – on the prototype these appear to be solid cast wheels but with a spoke pattern. I considered using some Pug wheels, but these didn’t look right without the cast spoke pattern. In the end I’ve settled for normal spoked wheels. This isn't so obvious thanks to everything being black. 

It would probably look good pulling some of the Chilton Iron Works chauldron wagons mentioned previously. 

The model follows my usual methods – EM Gauge with High Level gearbox and motor. The front wheels are in hornblocks with the axle resting on a pivot beam to give some compensation.

1465175786_MalleableNo.5-3.jpg.ed3f213255608cdc54149dd924081916.jpg

Cheers

Chris 

Edited by CXW1
Stuff
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 minutes ago, CXW1 said:

I’ve changed the name of the thread to Northeast Industrial Stuff because not everything on here is based at Tanfield. But I’m going to stay faithful to the Northeast, hence the new name.

Over the past few weeks I’ve been making a model of ‘South Durham Malleable No. 5’ which is currently in poor condition at Beamish Museum. It was actually based at Tanfield for a while in the 1970s when Beamish Museum used the Marley Hill shed as a store.

Records suggest that the prototype was built in 1873 by the South Durham Steel & Iron Company at their works in Stockton and was constructed from spare parts and some old bits and pieces from a Black Hawthorn loco.

Nameplates are on order from Narrow Planet.

957888050_MalleableNo.5-2.jpg.ac67d9e72c220749ee712fc766e25a31.jpg

I’ve made a compromise with the wheels – on the prototype these appear to be solid cast wheels but with a spoke pattern. I considered using some Pug wheels, but these didn’t look right without the cast spoke pattern. In the end I’ve settled for normal spoked wheels. This isn't so obvious thanks to everything being black. 

It would probably look good pulling some of the Chilton Iron Works chauldron wagons mentioned previously. 

The model follows my usual methods – EM Gauge with High Level gearbox and motor. The front wheels are in hornblocks with the axle resting on a pivot beam to give some compensation.

1265013586_MalleableNo.5-3.jpg.dd5efb1b1f8e96331c03333deb1005e5.jpg

Cheers

Chris 

That's bloody lovely work!!
Regards,
Chris.

• 1 month later...

The nameplates for Malleable No. 5 arrived yesterday from Narrow Planet/Light Railway Stores. 

1287265024_MalleableNo.5-5.jpg.7482791901da36f9b397a28eeb430df6.jpg

Stephen at Narrow Planet has done a superb job in creating something which is a faithful reproduction of the real thing. No connection - just a satisfied customer etc....

Cheers

Chris 

Edited by CXW1
Picture added
  • Like 9