Quick Shunting Puzzle

I thought I’d upload some pictures of this micro layout as it’s near completion now. It’s nothing more than a standard inglenook sidings, but only a 3-2-2 version to keep things simple.

It’s made out of a lot of second hand parts found out trade stalls.

The track is Peco Code 100 and the ballast is Green Scene fine grade.

The few structures on the layout are scratch built from Slaters and Evergreen parts, and require a little more painting and finishing touches.

39E300B2-8EDD-4804-97FF-2F297F8FD1F4.jpeg

6AD11DF4-1C2C-4FE2-A830-236C8FE1DBA1.jpeg

AA676567-68BA-4C31-B204-84A19E4BC9CA.jpeg

36365373-4E37-4797-87AF-84B162964723.jpeg

• Like 12

Here’s how I make my fences.

I cut some 80 thous. plastikard into strips and then cut these down into 18mm long pieces.

I then set these up in a wooden jig, so that they are 20mm apart, and paint. In this case I’ve gone for a concrete colour.

Once dry, I take some 30swg (0.3mm) hobby wire and use the iron to melt them into the plastic. The iron is held against the wire close to the post and after a couple of seconds it should join to the plastic.

388364B3-6327-4200-A208-11AF18FB9EED.jpeg

BFCD6608-F0DC-437E-8428-FF6694495CC5.jpeg

692436B2-E5E2-43BF-83BC-7826B36DDD5E.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

6 minutes ago, mega_mort said:

This is a nice looking layout, like the idea with the fencing saves drilling lots of little holes in the posts.

Thanks, yes I did try drilling the posts but then I found this technique on the 'County Gate' 009 website, I think my fences look reasonable but not as good as commercially available ones.

4 hours ago, josh_will said:

If I’m not sure about the ground cover what’s the best way to remove it? It’s all scatter.

one way I've used to remove scatter before is to add more water to the area, not a lot just enough to dampen it and that then loosened the glue and made it easier to scrape off. Think this only works if used diluted pva to stick it down.

I tried soapy water as you just mentioned and it does work, what a mess though! It looks wasteful but I actually started this layout months ago and lost interest for a while so it’s not too much of a loss to do this.

I just felt that it didn’t look enough like a goods yard, there was too much green. I don’t know how to go about creating the look I want now though :unknw_mini:

Josh

039876D4-04A1-4B27-B1D8-AE4D38C1DC24.jpeg

• Like 1

I tend to go for bridges, only because if I ever did a level crossing it would have to have moving gates and lights, which is currently a little beyond my skills. Also tarmac can be broken up by puddles, potholes and weeds breaking through depending on how dilapidated you it to look.

• Like 1

On 06/05/2020 at 14:49, josh_will said:

Well, slightly regretting my choice to scrap the existing scenery but here’s the new look, with the whole of the front now given a tarmac surface.

29CB5331-0D86-4D74-B402-2C42B9970929.jpeg

And the point you've hit upon is the beauty of the small layout  - it doesn't take a massive amount of time and effort to make a radical change. 

Jeff

A bridge will give you more visual impact but have a look at Callum's (SDJR7F88) Fry's Somerdale to see how he excellently handled the transition to his fiddle yards.

Jeff 

Edited by Jeff P

• RMweb Gold

IMHO the scenic section you originally had looked really good, but saying that we all have a tendency to change our minds when building a layout.

Look forward to seeing more of your layout build.:good_mini:

• Like 1

Mr Postman has delivered some micro strip, so here’s the bridge girder being made. I’ve also worked on the embankment area. I seem to have gone mad with the greenery again but I’m not changing it this time. Scenery is definitely not my forte, it’s something I struggle to get right. It looks too much like a section of branch line track and there’s not enough grey or brown in there. Oh well always next time.

9DFE99E1-2E00-4DD4-8409-A09BB17C79ED.jpeg

EBA5D43B-26EA-4693-B2E2-451828D30009.jpeg

• Like 1