ABS models (Adrian Swain)

shipbadger

Iv'e just read a posting over on Facebook which indicates that the Model Bus Federation have purchased the moulds and castings marketed by ABS.  They were asked if they knew what was to happen to the railway side but did not know.  Does anyone else have any information about this development?

• Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators

There is no solid information on the future of any of the railway products at the present time but I am aware interest in acquisition of the ranges is being sought.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

I did one of these kits (7mm GWR Open) almost by accident.  The kit was given to me.  I was very impressed by the casting fidelity and the kit went together very well.  I would definitely look for more of these.

John

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, ScRSG said:

A V4? Yes, please!

Please don't start premature wishlisting. Even if anyone else were to take over any parts of the range it would probably be a significant period of time to transfer assets, collate parts and information and produce any parts required to complete any products before anything could come back to the market.

Just to repeat, no pointless speculation or frothing.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Even if anyone else were to take over any parts of the range it would probably be a significant period of time to transfer assets, collate parts and information and produce any parts required to complete any products before anything could come back to the market.

Having been to Adrian's house, I will be very impressed when anyone gets something to market!

The one thing that isn't transferrable is Adrian's vast knowledge (and let's not start on about the man himself please).

Mike

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Tram related items have already been taken up by KW Trams.

Good news that Adrian is sorting this out. As Martin says, so many good products there that could have been lost.

From information on another forum where a similar discussion has been about the Wrightlines narrow gauge range, it is reported that Adrian is quite poorly and in a nursing home. It seems the transfer of tram kits, vehicles and figures to KW Trams was negotiated with other family members.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• 8 months later...

The 4mm kits have been acquired but I don't yet know by whom. It is inevitable that it will take some time to sort everything out and get production underway. I don't know if Adrian did his own casting or sub-contracted it. The new owner may have to find someone who will carry that out.

9 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

The 4mm kits have been acquired but I don't yet know by whom. It is inevitable that it will take some time to sort everything out and get production underway. I don't know if Adrian did his own casting or sub-contracted it. The new owner may have to find someone who will carry that out.

I'm pretty certain that Adrian did his own casting - in fact, I believe that he acted as a casting contractor for quite a number of well known brands; (W&T springs to mind immediately).

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Blue Max said:

Dan Pinnock once told me that he used Adrian for some if not all of his castings

That may have been possible, but I know Dan did some of his own casting (on one of my last visits he was doing some)  but I wonder that it was the smaller items for coach kits rather than the WM wagon kits which Adrain eventually took over.

• 3 months later...

Over on the S4 Society web site, there is a posting stating that the ABS range of 4mm railway models has been purchased by a concern by the name of Smallbrook Junction. The intention being to re-introduce this part of Adrian Swain’s range at the earliest opportunity

Not sure if this is the same concern as Smallbrook Studios who advertise regularly in Railway Modeller?

Really good news to see this range returning to the market, just need to see the etched coaching stock range from D&S available again now.

Edited by Blue Max
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 29/05/2021 at 15:52, drduncan said:

I can confirm that a good friend of mine has acquired the ABS 4mm range and is working hard to reintroduce them.  I am sure that when products are ready for re-release there will be announcements in the model railway media (there is a lot of things to sort through, though, so please be patient!). I have been asked to point out that this new business has nothing to do with Smallbrook studios.

DrDuncan

Daft question but hopefully a prompt... any news since May @drduncan ?

cheers

Edited by Tim Dubya
Cider with Rosie