ABS models (Adrian Swain)

shipbadger

54 minutes ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

I've had stuff off him a couple of times - excellent service. 

I had a chat with him at the Tinkers Park show a few weeks back. He had a nice display of his products on show as well.

Still waiting to hear about a return of the railway kits and accessories from another source. Hopefully not too long to wait.

All the best

Ray

• Like 2

Nothing to report I’m afraid - having seen the pile of ‘insert description of your choice’ filing my friends garage and the far from organised state of the abs materials that came out of Adrian’s house,  I suspect it will be some time. 

I’m sure everyone will agree that’s it’s better for it to be done right, rather than press the new owner to over promise and under deliver. 

Duncan

• Like 2
  • Agree 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

And I could very much do with some of the LNER 10ft wheelbase 6 plank open wagons - as far as I know the ABS kit was the only way to produce a model of these very numerous wagons (aside from kit-bashing/scratch-building).

But the whole ABS wagon range is full of tempting offerings and it will great to see it back on the market, including the packs of components like brake gear, buffers etc.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

36 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

These are bits I'm most interested in tbh.

I couldn't agree more - I must have spent a fortune over the years, directly with Adrian and via Mainly Trains.

Cast, pack and advertise a good batch of components, and the the income will flood in whilst sorting out the rest of the range.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, BenL said:

And I could very much do with some of the LNER 10ft wheelbase 6 plank open wagons - as far as I know the ABS kit was the only way to produce a model of these very numerous wagons (aside from kit-bashing/scratch-building).

You can swap the underframe from a Parkside LNER van onto a Cambrian open body (and use the remaining bits to make an unfitted van).

spacer.png

• Like 13
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks very much Jonathan, I had seen that great idea on your excellent topic pages and thought it might be something even I could just about manage in order to get the fitted version.

However, it's the unfitted version I'm especially after, although I guess the same approach could be used as long as the necessary components could be sourced (shorter buffers, central Vs, longer brake lever and a set of single brakes?).

• Like 1

Not a problem - buffers from Dave Franks and everything else can be had from Wizard.

Were there many unfitted ones?  Edit - of course there were (hence the Cambrian kit).  I was thinking of the 5 plank version.   There were 15000+ unfitted 6 planks and ~9500 fitted.

Edited by jwealleans
Additional information.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Jonathan. Working with etched components is not my strong point!

I was under the impression that there were c.15K unfitted LNER 6 plank opens with wood underframes and a 10ft wheelbase but I may well have mis-read my copy of the relevant volume of Tatlow - I'm afraid I'm away from my books and can't check.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/09/2021 at 16:01, jwealleans said:

You can swap the underframe from a Parkside LNER van onto a Cambrian open body (and use the remaining bits to make an unfitted van).

spacer.png

Snap.

post-7355-0-95534800-1521908575_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/09/2021 at 18:40, Marshall5 said:

The first 7mm kits from ABS that I bought came in cardboard tubes with bungs in the ends - like very short poster tubes.  That would be c.1974 IIRC.

Ray.

Like this one?

74757879_ABSCraneBox.jpg.c6f9bf509010f5566138cc7fffa3b71d.jpg

This is a 4mm kit I bought from Adrian's stand at an exhibition way back in the mists of time................

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

On 15/10/2021 at 19:07, 5050 said:

Like this one?

74757879_ABSCraneBox.jpg.c6f9bf509010f5566138cc7fffa3b71d.jpg

This is a 4mm kit I bought from Adrian's stand at an exhibition way back in the mists of time................

Yes I remember building Adrian's 4mm Mk.1 Suburban coaches in longer versions of those tubes!

• Like 1

Just to update things - we've now added all the GWR Wagon Kits we currently have, plus a few Classic Commercials vehicles. There wasn't much left stockwise from the CC range. Have also added some Wrightlines locos. Now starting to prepare the LMS/LNER & SR wagons, and all the Narrow Gauge Rolling Stock we have, for adding early next week.

Regards

David Parkins

www.djparkins.com

• Like 6

12 hours ago, djparkins said:

Just to update things - we've now added all the GWR Wagon Kits we currently have, plus a few Classic Commercials vehicles. There wasn't much left stockwise from the CC range. Have also added some Wrightlines locos. Now starting to prepare the LMS/LNER & SR wagons, and all the Narrow Gauge Rolling Stock we have, for adding early next week.

Regards

David Parkins

www.djparkins.com

Will you be making the parts available separately (brake gear, buffers, axleguards etc.)?  I used to have a stock of these at one time in a Hornby Dublo Breakdown Crane box - but it's vanished (and sorely missed!).

• Like 1

Great to see some of the range coming back, I love building the 7mm scale ABS kits and have resorted to buying several at rather high prices on ebay in the past couple of years.

Though having only just finished converting two Slaters steel highs to the Soda Ash variant, it's typical that one of the fist ABS kits to come back onto the market is the Soda Ash wagon!

Maybe I'll get one anyway...

Mol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 5050 said:

Will you be making the parts available separately (brake gear, buffers, axleguards etc.)?  I used to have a stock of these at one time in a Hornby Dublo Breakdown Crane box - but it's vanished (and sorely missed!).

We have several packs in stock. We will try & get them all listed in the next fortnight - after the wagon kits are all on. There are 1-3 of most packs and sometimes around 5-7 of some others. I cannot say if they will come back once sold out - maybe in a rationalised format - but it is just too early. Certainly not all will return.

As with the wagon kits - as soon as they come on at these prices - it might be prudent to get what you think you will need - assuming we've got enough!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1