The Hollycross Railway Company

Greetings! Well, this CoVid milarky has no doubt caused lots of us to try and pass our 'stay at home' time in a way which is of some benefit to us, and it's pretty much the same here. This little portable layout was initially started around 2 years ago as a little project to keep me busy. The basic plan had been in my mind for a while after thinking about what I wanted out of it, what I fancied modelling, what I was capable of! and what was available. The single baseboard, which measures 6' X 1' was 'available' in that there were suitable lengths of timber in the garage and enough ply to put a top on it. Initially that's how it was, 6' X 1', and perfectly flat. Cork underlay was laid, Peco flexi track was laid, ideas came into my head, track was moved and relaid, jigsaws came into play, one or 2 trains ran for a bit........and then I lost interest! 

So, back to this weekend! The board had been put in the loft and when a neighbour asked if I'd anything to put in his skip, I went up there to retrieve an old carpet which meant moving the baseboard. As these things do, my interest was piqued, the board was brought back into the daylight, an over just a couple of days all-sorts has happened! They say a picture paints a thousand words, so here for your delectation, I present.....THE HOLLYCROSS RAILWAY COMPANY!!

First up, a track plan....of sorts. Everyone likes a track plan, see what's going on etc...

SAM_6095.JPG

SAM_6096.JPG

SAM_6097.JPG

• Like 7

As I said, I'd decided end to end, so I could play trains, station, goods yard etc, sorted! The extras I dreamed up were a canal interchange of some sort, an unusual bridge (??), a curved level crossing (just gotta do it!) some country lanes, drystone walls, maybe...a loco shed.

A few more photos? OK then

SAM_6099.JPG

SAM_6107.JPG

SAM_6105.JPG

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

That looks rather nice with plenty of potential. I'd have a good play with it to make sure you are happy with the design, but it looks good to me.

• Thanks 1

Negotiating newly ballasted track and level crossing work, an afternoon service approaches Hollycross. I think I'd rather like to fly down that long hill on the old Enfield, but it'd be just my luck to have the train turn up!

IMG_20200505_135135.jpg

Edited by pippindoo
  • Like 4

Thanks Zomboid. Leeds City station, where I was based as a train driver for 21 years, is built on a viaduct and the River Aire and Leeds-Liverpool canal both pass beneath the station. Each platform road and through lines in between, has a very similar girder bridging the brick built structure beneath. It always fascinated me so I wanted to recreate something similar. The bridge on the layout is very shallow too so its feasible the engineers might strengthen it with some steelwork. Anyway, it works for me!

IMG_20200506_101552.jpg

Edited by pippindoo
  • Like 2

One thing a Goods Yard needs, is a Goods Shed, but the yard at Hollycross is a bit tight so it was going to have to be quite a small building. I decided on the Wills SS63 Goods Store which duly arrived and contained a photo of said building after assembly. Yeah, right!.....

SAM_6120.JPG

Edited by pippindoo

As you can see the small end windows just aren't big enough to get a Goods Van through, so need a little bit of work. I set to with a razor saw.....

SAM_6110.JPG

Edited by pippindoo

After a few minutes sawing, sanding and glue sniffing, the windows were now big enough to suit requirements and the initial installment was looking good. You can see that I'd already slewed a siding across earlier to make room available. The new Goods Shed would also match the Station Building which pleased his Lordship! Onwards....

SAM_6113.JPG

SAM_6112.JPG

Edited by pippindoo
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Things were going well, I had a Goods Shed, and a growing pile of left over bits and bobs, so, how's about an internal platform to assist things along? The kit includes a full sized wooden planked base, plus the wooden framing which the store is meant to sit on. Handy!.....

SAM_6116.JPG

SAM_6115.JPG

IMG_20200506_160217.jpg

Edited by pippindoo
  • Like 1

All in all a good couple of hours work, I've put plastic angle on the shopping list to allow tidying up of the entrances, and once a colour scheme is finalised, both the station and new Goods Shed will look very much a part of this developing little railway! I've also gained a few windows, and enough wooden planking to install walkways at the far end of the platform to allow easy access to the loco depot and signal box. 

Loco Shed?  Signal Box?? Hmmmm....... Watch this space

SAM_6121.JPG

Edited by pippindoo
  • Like 4

Well, it's been a paving and walling day today! The cobble layers arrived first, though ran out right at the death, the pavers were next and did complete the job but....I'm not 100% with it. The Drystone wallers cracked on in fine style but there's more to do yet. I'm thinking different shades of colour and weathering is definitely what will blend it all in. There will be a fence along the back of the platform, and the shed building may yet be changed but it's the coal man's plot, and there'll be a few sacks and some scales. The sacks he'll fill in the Goods Yard and have to carry across. Hmm, maybe he knows how the wall got damaged!....

IMG_20200506_191849.jpg

IMG_20200507_103440.jpg

IMG_20200507_204433.jpg

Edited by pippindoo
  • Like 6

We have 2 sayings in Yorkshire, one is 'Ey up cock!', the other is 'ow much?!!' So, when a sheet of sandpaper reaches the end of it's life, it hurts to just throw it away.  And!, it makes cracking ground cover for a goods yard.... Ballast will cover the edges and the creases and worn areas just add to it once its painted and weathered. Plus it was free!

IMG_20200508_094146.jpg

IMG_20200508_094849.jpg

IMG_20200508_205317.jpg

Edited by pippindoo
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings. I'm back again with more tales of sliced open fingers and other acts of derring-do! Some slight progress with things, the paving and cobbling have been finished and the buildings around the station area have been completed and received an initial coat of paint. The colour scheme was decided at a Company meeting convened in the Railway Arms one night, the colour combination being rapidly settled by the outfit being worn by the barmaid Virginia, a voluptuous beauty of a girl, who quite frankly would look mightily impressive in any colour, but tightly stretched green and fit to burst cream were ajudged to be very attractive and the meeting was over and an order placed, both for the paint and for another round of drinks, with nuts, which happen to be on the bottom shelf.....! Hope you approve.

SAM_6179.JPG

SAM_6178.JPG

Edited by pippindoo
  • Like 2

Avid viewers will note a change of building in the station yard, this is the premises of Hollycross's coal merchant, Mr Orson Carte, who also acts as Goods Agent. He will in time be provided with horse drawn transport, some sacks and weighing scales, but his coal will be delivered by the Railway Company into the goods yard, and will then be handballed across to his premises. To this end, the Company have very kindly provided a gate and wooden walkway to assist in the short but heavy journey twixt yard and office. This feature is shown thus...

SAM_6181.JPG

SAM_6183.JPG

SAM_6180.JPG

Edited by pippindoo
  • Like 3

Further news! Down at the canal wharfe, the canopy has seen further work towards completion, as well as a lick of paint, again courtesy of Virginia, well, it's an excuse to convene further meetings down the pub.... the wharfes jetty and access ramp have also now been paved to provide a solid workspace but the top of the ramp requires a wooden decking on top of the girder work, once the final level of the railway yard has been settled. The retaining wall will be stone clad, the stone has been delivered but will be cut to size and have an initial coat of colour, ANOTHER pub visit, probably on Friday as it's Darts Night and Virginia throws a mean arrow. Once it's painted, it can be fitted as access would be tricky otherwise. The canopies are the well known Dapol, ex Airfix kits, altered to suit, as is the Knightwing gantry crane, an unusual arrangement maybe, but it all adds interest. I'll let the photos tell the story. As ever, your thoughts are welcomed. Cheers!

SAM_6187.JPG

SAM_6186.JPG

SAM_6185.JPG

Edited by pippindoo
  • Like 3