The most decrepit, derelict station photo challenge

12 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Middleton station (near Oldham) was a grotty station just before closure in the 60's.

Middleton-Railway-Station.jpg

Not too far away Royton station wasn't much better.

royton(harden4.1955)old1.jpg

This didn't help either !!

royton(8.2.1961)old4.jpg

royton(8.2.1961)old3.jpg

Early DMU's were better built than brick sh1thouses !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Story here https://www.railcar.co.uk/topic/accidents/details/royton-1961

Brit15

think the former Royton junction later just the singular Royton was in a decrepit state towards the end being just a windowless grafitid bus shelter on a weed strewn platform amongst a forrest of trees in a semi derelict wasteland of post industrial Oldham 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Middleton station (near Oldham) was a grotty station just before closure in the 60's.

royton(8.2.1961)old4.jpg

royton(8.2.1961)old3.jpg

Brit15

I would not have been in the bath when that lot came through !!!1

1 hour ago, lmsforever said:

I would not have been in the bath when that lot came through !!!1

Or in bed !!!!  This from the article above

"The leading car was M51701. The elderly couple in bed in the house which 51701 demolished were carried out into the open air on top of the unit."

also

At No. 9 High Barn St, Mr Tom Pollitt was also in bed when the train demolished the home of his neighbour, Mrs Greenwood. "I was wondering whether to get up or have another 5 minutes in bed, then I heard the diesel hooter. It didn't stop and I was just wondering what was the reason for all the noise when there was a terrific bang and the whole house shook. I shot out of bed and our little boy, Tom, was crying and shouting that there was a flying saucer in the back yard"

Brit15

• Like 8

18 hours ago, APOLLO said:

royton(8.2.1961)old4.jpg

royton(8.2.1961)old3.jpg

Brit15

I was brought up half a mile from the site of Middleton Station and crossed the former line on a daily basis going to secondary school. Will have to show my dad the photo next time I see him.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Davexoc said:

Not totally decrepit, but not exactly how you would expect the gateway to The Lakes...

class105.JPG.5b11aad2154055cc5b9c8eb3a63511fd.JPG

I visited Windermere on the train with my parents in the early 80s so I remember well how dingy it was back then.

Windermere 1976

Windermere railway station. 1976

Windermere railway station. 1976

50385 and 56127 at Windermere.

"End of the line, all change !" (4). Windermere. 30/03/83.

Windermere in 1983

1972 with some loco hauled stock in the station!

Windermere.1972 dmu

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Bytom, Poland.  It looks derelict but is actually a mainline station, perhaps similar in importance to Warrington. .  The subway linking the platforms stank.

IMG_4690.jpeg.110ac75a0083c0237a7f32a5574fc1fd.jpeg

IMG_4689.jpeg.568c03f910350790e68eae3bb6841250.jpeg

• Like 14

Liverpool Central (High Level) sprung to mind here too - I was 11 when it closed, and was taken on a trip to Gateacre & back by my Grandma, about a week before final closure. What a mess it was :(

Mark

Edited by MarkC

When I was young St Annes still had the old station on the opposite platform which was always somewhat eerie.

Ansdell and Fairhaven always seemed to be an abandoned island platform with weeds and not much else. I think they've jollied it up since then though.

• RMweb Premium

At the time Broad Street was closed I was working in what was then called the Natwest Tower, now Tower 42. I decided I would go and have a look around before the station closed and arranged to have a long lunch break, trouble was I got the dates wrong and arrived a few days after it had closed instead of the planned three days before closure. I was very cross with myself at that! 

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

For a short while, there was a temporary Broad St station (until they built the chord at Hackney (Graham Rd?)). Just a scaffold pole platform as I recall accessed through a corridor of shuttering ply. A sense of dereliction even though it was new.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

For a short while, there was a temporary Broad St station (until they built the chord at Hackney (Graham Rd?)). Just a scaffold pole platform as I recall accessed through a corridor of shuttering ply. A sense of dereliction even though it was new.

Yes, the Graham Road Curve brought the North London line services into Liverpool Street for a time. The scaffold platform appears in a number of photographs on

www.disused-stations.org.uk which is always a good reference point for closed stations. 

Edited by Chris116
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Chris116 said:

Yes, the Graham Road Curve brought the North London line services into Liverpool Street for a time. The scaffold platform appears in a number of photographs on disused-stations.org.uk which is always a good reference point for closed stations. 

Having griced the temporary Broad St station, I did manage to travel over the Graham Rd link a couple of times. But if there was a shortage of 313s, it was always the first service to be cancelled.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

And Manchester Victoria always used to look pretty grotty, even when the sun was out. It wasn't helped by blue smokescreens, such as here in 1985:

It suffered badly from having the arena built over it. At least some interesting features around the booking hall were kept, and the last time I was there that edge (where the trams go) looked fairly smart. The main platforms were still a dump though.

Derby's old concrete canopies (now replaced) always seemed fairly dull and decrepit, especially when the sun wasn't out.

Here at various times in the 80s:

N33_0009.jpg.6e954b73c4a8b7932d896f28b1b78673.jpg525128987_N30_002537xxxDerby.jpg.b66501a10d3ed215dae78d552d907705.jpg86-2-7.jpg.93b39091f324984050c8c6f85cdc57cf.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide
clarity
  • Like 9