The most decrepit, derelict station photo challenge

• RMweb Premium
On 15/05/2020 at 16:43, maico said:

Correct, the Bridport branch was my nearest line and a delightful part of the World.

Toller in it's pomp...

5eb32259a2c4ec912f18e47e9c2700b0.jpg

This is adorable. If you laid a model railway out this way someone would call it contrived!

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Middleton Towers Station

Middleton Towers, sadly, the Thumper didn't get this side of the Crossing Gates. No-one on duty in the Sand Terminal with a key. 21 04 2018

A couple things stand out at me here:

1. There are at least 4 speed limit signs within just over 200m
  2. That waiting room is crying out to be saved, and I'm amazed it has survived all this time (I can already see ideas in my head of converting it into a tiny house - albeit with a railway themed interior!)

What an interesting set of photos; thank you for posting!
There is definitely something fascinating about disused or barely-used railway stations; and even in their decayed state (like the photos of Middleton Towers), there's something to be said about a lot of old architecture that just isn't seen in new stations (or houses for that matter).

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, keefer said:

A rare spot of a cl.47/7 at Hellifield and great pic of the cl.129 parcels car in blue

Wasn't there two 129s? Would be the last yellow diamond type left in service by then

• RMweb Gold

If you were looking for a photo to sum up the morale-sucking mess that BR was in the immediate post steam era, you wouldn't find a much better one than the shot of the Cravens doing it's best to hide the Desolation of Smaug, I mean Manchester Victoria, with a cloud of carbon monoxide.  Even the sunshine cannot hide the sense of glories too long past, hopelessness, and futility.  I am put in mind of Jason, of the Argonauts, who, instead of living happily ever after on the proceeds of the Golden Fleece, became an embittered and lonely old man, all he loved lost to him forever, a useless has been, killed when the rotting stern post of the Argo, which he had hewn himself, fell on him.  

Nothing like a classical education to keep your spirits up, is there?

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 3
  • Funny 2

Considering Oxford's importance as a university city first impressions upon arrival at the station would have sent a few to the 'other' university!  A truly run down and grotty affair until 1972 and then only half heartily rebuilt. They are still talking about rebuilding it and the talking bit will take longer than the actual work!...............because Oxford City Council are involved!!   I well may be lucky enough to see it complete with overhead wiring.

The pictures I attach are really the only ones I have showing any of the structure..................and in this case probably better to have a train to block out the decaying building!

My option to travel to London would be to use Oxford Parkway to Marylebone anyway but I would like to see the GWR station re-generated into something more welcome and fitting than what we presently have.

6352 Oxford June 69 Slide 672.jpg

D6336 Oxford November 69 Slide 1079.jpg

D1737 Oxford September 67 Slide 202.jpg

D1664 Oxford May 69 Slide 577.jpg

• Like 14

Has anyone mentioned Croxley Green yet? I don’t have any pre-closure photos of my own but towards the end this had a ‘temporary’ platform, replacing the original station on the opposite side of the remaining single line. This has now gone although when I visited the site about 4 or 5 years ago the NSE lamp posts were still there.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/c/croxley_green/

Looking at some of the photos in that link it was pretty knackered before the temporary platform was built as well.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, maico said:

Nature has reclaimed Croxley Green station. You can still see the rails on Google Earth.

croxley.jpg

If it’s anything like it was a few years ago the steps up to platform level and the lamp posts will still be there (hidden in the trees) although they may have been cleared by the Croxley Rail Link contractors before work on that stopped.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stovepipe said:

Stockton-on-Tees was in a shocking state in the late 1970s, despite hosting diverted HSTs.

15291295372_e10f16d5ee_o.jpgStockton on Tees(decline) 1979 hst dmu. by Stephen Burdett, on Flickr

Nice find, but I think that there's a certain something missing from that picture, something that doesn't quite capture the true essence the station....

Stockton on Tees.(decline) 1977 37088

....namely some dirty, rubbish strewn puddles...

And I see that they dealt with the issue of the neglected overall roof by giving it a typical BR 80s refurbishment.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Nice find, but I think that there's a certain something missing from that picture, something that doesn't quite capture the true essence the station....

....namely some dirty, rubbish strewn puddles...

And I see that they dealt with the issue of the neglected overall roof by giving it a typical BR 80s refurbishment.

Surprised to see parcels vans still in the north bays at such a late date , especially with an NCL depot about a mile away 

53 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Liverpool Exchange 1969

Liverpool-Central-throat_SEP-69

That's Liverpool Central (CLC), not Exchange (L&Y), which opens out onto a viaduct.  Central had a reputation of being a dark and dingy hole....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Northmoor said:

That's Liverpool Central (CLC), not Exchange (L&Y), which opens out onto a viaduct.  Central had a reputation of being a dark and dingy hole....

Yep, you're right. I was thinking of Exchange as both Manchester and Liverpool have had an Exchange and a Central station.

• Like 1