The most decrepit, derelict station photo challenge

On 08/05/2020 at 19:01, TheQ said:

No pictures but Ludgershall station, signal box,  foot bridge and lighting  had been demolished   Just leaving the water tower,  and water Towers.  But it was still being used for military passenger  trains to disembark.. 

I didn't find any suitable pictures of the station itself, but I found this fantastic one of the goods shed in 1976.

Ludgershall station (4), 1976

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Alston 1974

Class 101 DMU @ Alston, 1974 [slide 7402] Alston 1976

Now under new management and in much better condition although the rails are somewhat closer than they used to be!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

I didn't find any suitable pictures of the station itself, but I found this fantastic one of the goods shed in 1976.

Ludgershall station (4), 1976

The yard crane is now at the Swindon and Cricklade Railway ,,

That  platform is still in use,  but the rest of the yard had been completely relaid out. 

If you look though the gap between the crane jib and the winding mechanism, you can see a car entering the 30mph limit of Butt street Ludgershall,  the first house on the right on that road,  had been  the home of the Ganger at Ludgershall,  my Grandfather.  We lived there with my grandparents,  (my parents my sisters and me), temporarily in 1963 for a few months.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

BR once even tried to improve the station by derailing a train in it.

Dinting  10th March 1981

I have a booklet on the Woodhead Route with an excellent series of photos by an eye-witness who recorded this actual derailment as it happened.  You can see the dust rising from the wheels first hitting the sleepers, then the photos are from further and further back on the platform, presumably as the photographer decided self-preservation was the priority!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Culkerton, Tetbury branch, closed 1956 and re-opened in derelict state two years later, in which form it was in use until April 1964. This was the image presented to accompany the introduction of smart, modern diesel rail buses.  (CJL)

Culkerton from railbus.jpeg

Culkerton rear.jpeg

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 14

14 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I have a booklet on the Woodhead Route with an excellent series of photos by an eye-witness who recorded this actual derailment as it happened.  You can see the dust rising from the wheels first hitting the sleepers, then the photos are from further and further back on the platform, presumably as the photographer decided self-preservation was the priority!

I have that book too (Main Line across the Pennines; Woodhead in the Shadows, C.MConroy and A.R.Kaye, Lowlander publications), and most interesting it is too. One of the picture shows a coal hopper and 16T mineral on the Down platform (this was an Up train !) thus explaining the OLE damage. The photographer did extremely well to continue capturing the derailment, which occurred on the 10th March 1981. BR re-opened the line but did not reinstate the damaged Up line, instituting Single Line Working, and on 10th April 1981 the Ince to Barton-on-Humber tanks derailed going through the crossover at Hadfield !

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/05/2020 at 02:21, maico said:

Nature has reclaimed Croxley Green station. You can still see the rails on Google Earth.

Croxley Green June 1988 when it had all day service from Watford Junction. Note the original platform no longer safe to use.

Second picture May 1994 when I carried the appropriate PTS documentation to allow me to take such pictures whilst employed in the railway industry. Original wooden platform removed on safety grounds.

Croxley Green June 1988.jpg

Croxley Green 51-68 May 1994.jpg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

More May 1994 images of Croxley Green. It was handed over to Hertfordshire County Council for the Watford Met Link into Watford Junction which has not yet happened.

I carried appropriate PTS certification to allow me to take these when employed by North London Railways.

Croxley Green 51-69 May 1994.jpg

Croxley Green 51-71 May 1994.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Watford Stadium Halt on the Croxley Green branch built to serve Watford Football Club (Vicarage Road) stadium. Taken on 2nd September 1999.

Built for the use of away supporters.

Watford Stadium Halt  70-2 Sept 1999.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Sudbury station in Suffolk in 1988. Note the locals taking an unofficial footpath home!

It has subsequently been modernised. The building in the background was an office block built across the former track bed.

Sudbury 10-30 August 1988.jpg

Sudbury 14-67 Nov 1988.jpg

• Like 12

On 11/05/2020 at 16:11, John M Upton said:

Newhaven Harbour is a station that has fallen on hard times.  Virtually nothing left of the original station except the platform surfaces and the footbridge, serves a half derelict industrial area, boarded up buildings all around and not even same level access to the up Brighton/London bound platform anymore since the level crossing was shut off last year.

Really depressing place.

But compared to Newhaven Marine it's a palace!

Desolation at Newhaven Marine

Ghost Station

Newhaven Marine

Newhaven Marine Station

Newhaven Marine Newhaven Ghost

I was curious about the lettering on the blue MK1 BG, but the caption says that it is 6311 which suggest that it's Generator Van which I've never seen in this livery.

37154 + stock 6311+17015+4956+4939+4949+4998+4938+3115+3107 working the 1z37 08-28 Finsbury Park - Finsbury Park Pathfinder Tours The Syphon Symphony @ Newhaven Marine 5th April 1999  copyright PWS collection 2020

• Like 8

On 12/05/2020 at 16:36, Northmoor said:

I vaguely remember a pretty run-down Pontypridd in the 1980s.  I've often thought Hirwaun should be one of the easiest and lowest cost reopenings, but the local authority seem to have allowed housing to be built on the obvious station site.  I never stop being amazed how myopic Welsh local government can be on rail matters.

These pictures of Pontypridd are from the 70s as it didn't look too bad in the 80s pictures that I found.

Pontypridd station in 1974

C310 & Pontypridd Station

Pontypridd Station

• Like 7