The most decrepit, derelict station photo challenge

Surprisingly the original 1873 Ally Pally platform was contructed of wood which looked out of place with the Palace. It was replaced with brick later.

ap.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Edited by maico
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, maico said:

Surprisingly the original 1873 Ally Pally platform was contructed of wood which looked out of place with the Palace. It was replaced with brick later.

ap.jpg

unnamed.jpg

I know it is not really part of this thread but it appears that the platforms had no run round loops so did they keep a loco at AP and step back ?

• Like 1

Ally Pally had a scissors crossing leading into the platforms and, just London Side of that, there was a loop-come-carriage sidings on the down side, so I guess that non-motor trains had to back out, run-round and back in again at non-busy periods. My guess would be that a turnover engine would be used at busy periods, there was certainly a spur for one.

Flow may have been "tidal", with a rush of people out, then a rush back after an event, so the carriage sidings were probably used to store a couple of trains during the intervening lull.

There is a 1906 signalling diagram on Disused Stations, which gives a good idea of how the place would have worked (although the diagram does contain a couple of features that baffle me!) ........ obviously designed for a very intense service, which it didn't have in later years.

In later years there does seem to have been a runaround, probably created when the platform nearest the palace was removed; one of the photos on Disused Stations shows the crossover for it.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 18/05/2020 at 00:14, 009 micro modeller said:

Has anyone mentioned Croxley Green yet? I don’t have any pre-closure photos of my own but towards the end this had a ‘temporary’ platform, replacing the original station on the opposite side of the remaining single line. This has now gone although when I visited the site about 4 or 5 years ago the NSE lamp posts were still there.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/c/croxley_green/

Looking at some of the photos in that link it was pretty knackered before the temporary platform was built as well.

Croxley Green Branch

Croxley Green Station

Croxley Green Station

The best/worst pictures I could find are those of the nearby depot.

19870225 012 Croxley Green Depot. Roads 4,3 And 2 Visible. Watford Power Station Overlooking The Scene To The Right

19870224 005 Croxley Green Depot Viewed From The 16.29 Watford Junction-Croxley Green. Bridges 3 And 3a. The Rails Leading To The Headshunt Have Been Removed 19870225 017 Croxley Green Depot. BRCW Class 104 DTS 54179, And DMBS 53536, Pass With The 15.40 Watford Junction-Croxley Green

• Like 13

1 hour ago, 1E BoY said:

Sudbury station in Suffolk in 1988. Note the locals taking an unofficial footpath home!

It has subsequently been modernised. The building in the background was an office block built across the former track bed.

Sudbury 10-30 August 1988.jpg

That is a fantastic picture and you can tell that the station has been truncated as it looks a bit odd how the platform is only just long enough for a 2 car DMU. I was checking it out on aerial maps and I was thinking how the platform looked straighter than it does here  and seems that the station has subsequently been moved to a location to the right of the picture where the goods yard used to be.

Here's some pictures of it before it had the chop.

Cravens Class 105 E51255 & E56130 - Sudbury, Suffolk. Sudbury station, 1975 (3)

Sudbury station, 1975 (2)

Sudbury Sudbury

Sudbury station, 1975 (4) Class 101 'Met-Cam' DMU at Sudbury, Suffolk. 04/08/84. No trains

Post chop

02269 53205 & 54390 Sudbury Station 21.02.1987 02268 53205 & 54390 Sudbury Station 21.02.1987

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 1E BoY said:

Sudbury station in Suffolk in 1988. Note the locals taking an unofficial footpath home!

It has subsequently been modernised. The building in the background was an office block built across the former track bed.

Sudbury 10-30 August 1988.jpg

Sudbury 14-67 Nov 1988.jpg

The bulding in the back ground is the swiming pool that was built over the formation of the line.  The hole in the wall was to make room for the buffer stop.

Terry.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, melmerby said:

Is the replacement really an improvement?

https://goo.gl/maps/XYCeENxDDpTfdwZv9

No, but that Portakabin has been there since at least 1985.  Here's "Red Star" waiting to run round (nice to see you can still do that at Milford, the Pembroke Dock and Fishguard Branches are now long sidings) and a DMU an hour or two later.  You can see what used to be where Tesco's is now; those sidings extended under the Hakin Road bridge onto the dockside.  I have another photo from that day of one of the dock company shunters with a rake of VDA vans, the only time I ever saw rail freight in Milford Docks.

DSC00455.JPG.f48145bc86d5e7c0164ac891ce091373.JPG

DSC00457.JPG.5252a6fe6e299bb80a128c8ee06b6263.JPG

These shots are scanned from 110 format negatives, hence the quality isn't great.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Meanwhile a couple more 110 format scans; I may have posted these in another thread, but perhaps they meet the criteria here (both 1985):

DSC00242.JPG.4264bbee4ac72453b5060f2d268c397c.JPG

Cardiff Bute Road: station covered in scaffolding (still is 35 year later, I think), no surface on most of the platform, overlooks a scrapyard which almost became the Wales Railway Centre.

DSC00489.JPG.8f053db567b40ca71d734ebeee952747.JPG

St. Albans Abbey with the DMU buzzing off to Watford Junction.

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

No, but that Portakabin has been there since at least 1985.  Here's "Red Star" waiting to run round (nice to see you can still do that at Milford, the Pembroke Dock and Fishguard Branches are now long sidings) and a DMU an hour or two later.  You can see what used to be where Tesco's is now; those sidings extended under the Hakin Road bridge onto the dockside.  I have another photo from that day of one of the dock company shunters with a rake of VDA vans, the only time I ever saw rail freight in Milford Docks.

Milford is also a siding now, Google Streetview still shows the loop, but if you drop on the station a Google user uploaded an image in June 19 that showed the loop had been lifted with a 175 at the platform.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 18/05/2020 at 22:47, Northmoor said:

I have a booklet on the Woodhead Route with an excellent series of photos by an eye-witness who recorded this actual derailment as it happened.  You can see the dust rising from the wheels first hitting the sleepers, then the photos are from further and further back on the platform, presumably as the photographer decided self-preservation was the priority!

I picked that up from the post office in Hayfield randomly for about 60p or something back in the early 80's. A very nice little publication, great photos and nice text. Still on the bookshelf upstairs! 

Regards 

Guy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

Meanwhile a couple more 110 format scans; I may have posted these in another thread, but perhaps they meet the criteria here (both 1985):

DSC00242.JPG.4264bbee4ac72453b5060f2d268c397c.JPG

Cardiff Bute Road: station covered in scaffolding (still is 35 year later, I think), no surface on most of the platform, overlooks a scrapyard which almost became the Wales Railway Centre.

DSC00489.JPG.8f053db567b40ca71d734ebeee952747.JPG

St. Albans Abbey with the DMU buzzing off to Watford Junction.

You can rent office space there these days, almost posh...

https://search.savills.com/property-detail/96da5abb-6a57-414c-9d5a-37e7f53beae0

PHOTO-2020-02-25-14-18-11_l_gal.jpg

Exterior_l_gal.jpg

Edited by maico
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

7 hours ago, Tim V said:

How about Milford Haven?

Milford_Haven_3_July_1980_Olympus_OM1_200-_(3).jpg

Yes, I was doing a search on Flickr last night and I found that Harbour stations are a good hunting ground for grotty stations, but I couldn't find any really good/bad ones of Milford Haven.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Milford is also a siding now, Google Streetview still shows the loop, but if you drop on the station a Google user uploaded an image in June 19 that showed the loop had been lifted with a 175 at the platform.

I was going to say "how sad", but to be honest any railtour to the far West now just goes via Carmarthen to have a 66 put on to top-and-tail, so the loss of run-round loops isn't the issue it once was.  Glad to say I was on the tour to Milford in 2005 behind "Western Champion", when we had our Maybach music uninterrupted.....

2 hours ago, Northmoor said:

I have another photo from that day of one of the dock company shunters with a rake of VDA vans, the only time I ever saw rail freight in Milford Docks.

These shots are scanned from 110 format negatives, hence the quality isn't great.

Bit like this?

Milford_Haven_3_July_1980_Olympus_OM1_200-_(6).jpg

• Like 7