The most decrepit, derelict station photo challenge

6 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

That could be said of quite a few railway premises, where "quick and dirty" repairs were done in the 1940s and there was never the money to do the job properly until the places closed in the 1960s.

Middlesbrough is a strange hybrid also having been bombed !

• RMweb Gold
On 05/05/2020 at 22:59, APOLLO said:

Middleton station (near Oldham) was a grotty station just before closure in the 60's.

Middleton-Railway-Station.jpg

Brit15

Middleton still has it for me.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

13 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

As a late challenger I give you Manors Station....

Manors Station, Newcastle on Valentine's Day, 1982

Manors 1986 c719

Newcastle Manors 45068 26nov83b711

Manors 1986 c711

Manors 37009 a853

I particularly like the concrete block platform shelter. Presumably a retirement project by the bloke who designed all those WW2 pillboxes. Dead easy to model, too, for those of us who've never had the talent for doing corners and details on brickpaper buildings.

Edited by PatB
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/06/2020 at 19:30, Rugd1022 said:

Acton Mainline in 1969, photo by Ian Baker....

If it wasn't for the signals I'd have assumed that was a black and white photo, and it took me a while to spot those. Says it all!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

Hindlow 1965

Hindlow station

Given that the station closed to regular passenger services in November 1954 and was totally closed in October 1963 it is in remarkably good condition!

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I’d say Hindlow is more shabby than derelict or decrepit; it’s all there and the platforms are clean and tidy.  Plenty of interest...

According to Wikipedia the station was removed in 1966 about a year after the photo.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Chris116 said:

Given that the station closed to regular passenger services in November 1954 and was totally closed in October 1963 it is in remarkably good condition!

If the date of the photo (1965) is correct, and I'm not suggesting it isn't, and given the station was "closed" by this date, it would seem some of the "facilities" were still being used at the station - note the wheelbarrow of coal on the platform - which might explain why the station still appears to be in relatively good nick, staff still using/visiting it on a regular basis has kept the local vandals away.

• Like 3

On 18/05/2020 at 12:46, montyburns56 said:

Nice find, but I think that there's a certain something missing from that picture, something that doesn't quite capture the true essence the station....

Stockton on Tees.(decline) 1977 37088

....namely some dirty, rubbish strewn puddles...

And I see that they dealt with the issue of the neglected overall roof by giving it a typical BR 80s refurbishment.

You can almost smell the dead rodents floating in the water. No such problems at Sao Beto in Portugal...

estacao-sao-bento.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

It looks like two crash-landed airships.

That little blue and white hut outside is very ornate though. I wonder what it was.

I would guess a taxi office, it may say taxi alongside the row of parking spaces adjacent.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Ilkley station is still very nice, but to take the first shot now might require you to stand in the M&S fridge surrounded by pre-packed sandwiches.

Right, in that case I guess that the reason why the tracks were shortened was to accommodate extra buildings on the station concourse.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Right, in that case I guess that the reason why the tracks were shortened was to accommodate extra buildings on the station concourse.

More a case of turning a through station into a terminus and making sure it could not be reinstated easily. 

• Like 2