The most decrepit, derelict station photo challenge

• RMweb Premium

Actually quite impressive how neat and tidy Itchen Abbas was in the years before closure.  The ballast is neat, the platform surface is good in the area where the train stops and the building, whilst boarded up, still looks solid.

• Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...

Burdale station on the Malton & Driffield railway closed to passengers in 1950 and altogether in 1958. The stationmaster and his family then had to move out. When I first visited it in October 1976 it was a roofless shell and I visited it twice after that in 1977 and 78 and both times it got significantly worse. In 78 one end wall had collapsed taking most of the roof with it.

Burdale [4] 20.5.78 (1).jpg

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

End of the platforms under the skew bridge at Teignmouth.  The long platforms date from when there were long holiday trains depositing hundreds of holidaymakers- still a common sight at Dawlish and Teignmouth in the 70s. Was at Dawlish the other day - pleased to see the concrete base pad of the down outer home signal outside Kennaway tunnel has survived all the recent shenanigans, (that's some wall along Marine Parade) and bade farewell to the lifeboat house at the end of the colonies at Dawlish station. Fell off the seawall there watching a Western pull out - Up- about 48 years ago.  Landed on my head, never been the same since !

About 10 years too late, but this vid from YouTube gives a flavour of the seawall.

Best regards

Matt W

Edited by D826
A flavour of Dawlish in the mid 80s
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...

No photo I'm afraid but Blythe Bridge would qualify for something now I think.

I worked through there for the first time since lockdown on Wednesday. 

The station itself, such as it is, is tidy but the trackbed resembles a wildlife garden with trees growing in the six foot shaped to the sides of trains!

There always does seem to have been a lot of greenery in the track in the area but this is the worst I've seen it.

Photo taken nearby.

IMG_20200909_101941443.jpg.72b6ea48d8641cacda0f58eb8adbb2e3.jpg

• Like 5

21 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Moses Gate, back in its better “bad” days...

The bridge over the line would make for a good small layout / diorama to experiment with achieving grimy, weathered urban surfaces. The ramp provides a bit of visual interest without being too distracting.

In the real world, one wonders how filthy those windows got back in the steam era...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/09/2020 at 20:15, ed1234 said:

The bridge over the line would make for a good small layout / diorama to experiment with achieving grimy, weathered urban surfaces. The ramp provides a bit of visual interest without being too distracting.

In the real world, one wonders how filthy those windows got back in the steam era...

Add in the two pubs either side.

So rough one of them was torn down.
i have a totem  sign from Moses Gate.

The interior of the station was pretty basic LMS, wooden paneling, 2 ticket office windows (though it only ever used one). Soiled wooden floor, never cleaned in years. The glazing had 1cm mesh within it. Three rooms (porters room was converted to a kitchen). To think nearly a dozen people once worked here... station master, ticket staff, platform staff, Porter... down to zero...yet we wonder where the jobs went.. and blame immigration.

it used to have ramps to both platforms, but the manchester side was demolished in the mid1980’s, along with the station masters house, leading to the station master’s pathway becoming the access ramp, which it still is today.

As a kid I new the station well, the regular clerk worked this station and Moorside, always gave me the gen on whats what..

What was the route of “The Red Rose” railtours ? - A summer tour based around Manchester, featuring 4771,777,45596,60009,46229 and 48151  (just in my own collection)

at 5pm he’d be part of the Friday crowd than congregated at Ronnies.. Farnworth Rail and Model Centre near Kearsley.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 04/05/2020 at 19:34, montyburns56 said:

I came across this picture of New Holland Pier station from a few days before it was closed and it is one one of the most filthiest, neglected looking stations that I have ever seen. So I just thought that we could have a photo competition to post pictures of the most filthiest, derelict looking stations that were still in use at the time that the photo was taken. I'll throw down the gauntlet....

New Holland Pier 1981.

BR New Holland Pier station

Class 114 E56043 & E50001 - New Holland Pier.

The OP asks for pictures of stations "that were in use" at the time.

• Like 1