The most decrepit, derelict station photo challenge

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Pinza-C55 said:

Sorry Tim, misunderstood topic of the thread so have asked to hide my photos and will post no more. Hope that's OK.

Wouldn't worry about it mate, if every thread stuck to only the OP then RMWeb would be half the size it is!

A little thread drift is no bad thing, it can throw up some interesting info/pics anyway

Edited by keefer
  • Like 3
  • Agree 7

15 hours ago, Pinza-C55 said:

Sorry Tim, misunderstood topic of the thread so have asked to hide my photos and will post no more. Hope that's OK.

They were good photos, there was no need to hide them. Maybe you should start a new thread on that topic? I have got a few pictures of closed derelict stations as well;)

• Like 4

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Brechin station in 1981, when the by-then freight only station was closed.

Amazingly, although the glass canopies were gone, the station managed to keep its main buildings.

Preservation work started almost immediately from then with the small-scale volunteer BRPS, of course it is now more well known as the Caledonian Railway (Brechin)

12235284965_81281ac1f6_c.jpgBrechin last train by Mike Futty, on Flickr

General view of station in March 1981 (could also be in the Goods Yard thread)

From derbysulzers.com: https://www.derbysulzers.com/aberdeen.html

brechin81.jpg

There are similar views to be had of Forfar station, which lasted until 1982 - although that was worked from the other end of the former 'Strathmore line' at Perth

Edited by keefer
  • Like 11

19 hours ago, keefer said:

Brechin station in 1981, when the by-then freight only station was closed.

Amazingly, although the glass canopies were gone, the station managed to keep its main buildings.

Preservation work started almost immediately from then with the small-scale volunteer BRPS, of course it is now more well known as the Caledonian Railway (Brechin)

General view of station in March 1981 (could also be in the Goods Yard thread)

From derbysulzers.com: https://www.derbysulzers.com/aberdeen.html

brechin81.jpg

Yeah, I was just thinking that myself. In fact the station is very modellable with the loading back connected to the platform, the goods shed close to the station and the unusual centre road release arrangement.

I've also found another pic by Jeremy Chapter

British Rail class 101 diesel unit Brechin British Rail class 101 diesel unit Brechin

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
On 25/06/2021 at 19:42, montyburns56 said:

Burghead 1987

Burghead 20-05-1987

Burghead station, 1984

Burghead Station

Great pictures, thank you for posting them.

I visited Burghead in 1974 and was really taken with it then. There is something about that location with that lovely building and the sea in the background that really made an impression on me.

Does it still stand there with the track or has it all gone now?

Simon

Edited by Not Jeremy

10 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

Great pictures, thank you for posting them.

I visited Burghead in 1974 and was really taken with it then. There is something about that location with that lovely building and the sea in the background that really made an impression on me.

Does it still stand there with the track or has it all gone now?

Simon

Looking at Google Maps it seems that everything including the bridge has been demolished!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Ah, now, Gunnislake was grim. It’s situation, high and exposed to strong, wet westerly winds, combined with some Grade A dereliction made it a strong contender.

I was there in 1989, cycling round Cornwall photographing the railways, but unfortunately didn't get a shot of Gunnislake.  It's not long after that the line was cut back to South of the A390 bridge (presumably to save on maintenance and strike risk?); the old station site is now a row of bungalows.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 26/06/2020 at 19:36, maico said:

You can almost smell the dead rodents floating in the water. No such problems at Sao Beto in Portugal...

estacao-sao-bento.jpg

Please can this be the first post in a new topic? "The most beautiful stations in the world"

• Like 1
  • Agree 1