The most decrepit, derelict station photo challenge

1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

A bit unfair as I suspect that it's just one neglected area, but it's a nice picture so....

Barnstaple 1977 by Hugh Searle

114-3 25224 Barnstaple 13071977

It certainly looked a lot better than that in 1984, though taking it from the other end of the platforms helped....

84-236

• Like 7

https://images.app.goo.gl/GEuFrNEh3H6mdzaD9

I used Pontefract Monkhill quite regularly on Saturdays in the mid-80s to get into Leeds for its record shops. Grim beyond - a bus shelter waiting room the only protection from the elements, enlivened with the odd 47 and 56 on MGR trains whilst waiting for the Pacer from Goole. Equally grim in 1970 -

Edited by xPrime586
Inexperience
  • Like 2

Luxury!

(I’m a pure southerner, but am under the impression that Pontefract is in Yorkshire. Isn’t it the place where lumps of chewy liquorice, like leftover bits of old boot leather, got mistaken for cakes?)

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

The liquorice factory wasn’t far from Monkhill (or Baghill for that matter).  Dunhills iirc. Back in the 1980s, the pleasures of travelling from Monkhill to Wakefield Kirkgate via Featherstone were denied me. That would have been a trip.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Zomboid said:

It's a bizarre place indeed where liquorice is considered edible...

Is there any punctuation missing from this?

Regards

Ian

Edited by Ian Smeeton
Sp
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Zomboid said:

It's a bizarre place indeed where liquorice is considered edible...

Ever chewed on a pencil end?

Its just like chewing a piece of liquorice root, only the root doesn't taste of cedar...

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, xPrime586 said:

The liquorice factory wasn’t far from Monkhill (or Baghill for that matter).  Dunhills iirc. Back in the 1980s, the pleasures of travelling from Monkhill to Wakefield Kirkgate via Featherstone were denied me. That would have been a trip.

In the mid 70s I had a week with the Pontefract S&T lineman (based at Baghill) as Annual Leave cover for his mate (and what an education that week was). One day was spent at Monkhill doing maintenance. Didn't stop working until about 1.15pm - about an hour later than usual, but I soon found out why. Non-factory workers could use the factory canteen once all the factory workers had had their meals. Really good dinners, lots of it and cheap. On the way out involved a detour via the the factory shop - WOW! Mishapes and end of lines (seasonal) etc., and so, so cheap. Filled my bag and pockets, could hardly walk back to Baghill. A few years later (when I was with the Telecoms Regional Maintenance Section) I called in one day on the off chance to find nothing had changed. A quick phone call back to the office and took multiple orders, needless to say I managed to fill the boot of the car! BTW, I think the name was Wilkinson's, but could have been a bit later. Apologies for drifting off topic.... 

Edited by iands
smelling pistake
  • Like 9

5 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

Has anyone mentioned Wakefield Kirkgate yet? Some years ago it was publicly shamed as "Britain's worst station". 

image.png

Wakefield Kirkgate

Yes, it's was featured here...

As for Lostock Gralam I can't find any pictures of it in the past, only recent ones where it looks almost respectable.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/07/2021 at 12:33, Andy Kirkham said:

Has anyone mentioned Wakefield Kirkgate yet? Some years ago it was publicly shamed as "Britain's worst station". 

image.png

Wakefield Kirkgate

What was the original purpose of that platform thing attached to the wall above the canopy? I note it has gone in the most recent photos. Perhaps just part of a fire escape was one thought but probably anyone using it could have got straight onto the ladder anyway?

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, highpeakman said:

What was the original purpose of that platform thing attached to the wall above the canopy? I note it has gone in the most recent photos. Perhaps just part of a fire escape was one thought but probably anyone using it could have got straight onto the ladder anyway?

Presumably it’s to allow access to prune the shrubbery that is growing out of the gutters/parapets.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

At one station on the underground, IIRC one on the Wimbledon branch of the District which didn’t actually belong to LU but to BR, the booking office ceiling fell-in one day, depositing about half a ton of pigeon guano, feathers, and baby pigeons into the room. The pigeon infestation had not been tackled in due time!

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 27/06/2021 at 20:46, Nearholmer said:

Ah, now, Gunnislake was grim. It’s situation, high and exposed to strong, wet westerly winds, combined with some Grade A dereliction made it a strong contender.

Glorious countryside though ?

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Yes, that lets it down really, perhaps taking it out of the top ten. The trouble with the industrial dereliction round there is that it’s old enough to have become picturesque.

Shome mishtake surely, it was beautiful!

Gunnisake 76.jpg

• Like 10