The most decrepit, derelict station photo challenge

Brain dead I am - yes, of course it is!

I knew it was in a very fancy former station ‘somewhere a long way up north’ that we went to during the one only holiday we’ve ever had up that way. We stopped over at Richmond on the way back (I recall a NG tramway in an alley near the theatre), that’s how I’ve got myself confused.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

isnt there a model train running around the top of a bookshop there? I'm sure I remember seeing it.

8 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Isn't that the one in Alnwick?

Barter Books in Alnwick. :good:

Some books are a little pricey but it has a reasonable selection and a very nice cafe.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

20210820_095918.jpg.0f125fe1521f408b37ca946189972f99.jpg

One from me, Barmouth, West Wales, in the dark, neglected past days of... er, today actually.  I know the railway cannot do a lot about the rubbish, as the gulls tend to empty the bins out onto the tracks, but it doesn't give too appealing an impression for the passengers on the two-hourly services, or the holidaymakers who have to pass over the level crossing here between car park/beach and the town, and look up towards weed and litter-strewn tracks.  For all the reduction in trains and train lengths caused by ERTMS, it's still a reasonably busy line, especially compared to its northern neighbour, the Conway Valley.

20210820_101607.jpg.daf3a04b1cde73e9dd5004ca1311230a.jpg

The track leading up to the station is pretty overgrown and sand-buried, though I appreciate with the beach not too far away (the other side of a large cap park and road) it might be tricky to stop this sort of thing.  A pass from the weedkiller train the other night seems to have been long overdue.

20210820_101934.jpg.50687699219f56dafe34057fc9f5562f.jpg

Apart from the polished rail heads, the the station at the northern end could pass for one abandoned.  Still, at least with ERTMS the days of long excursion trains stopping here, with passengers having to get on and off at this wilderness are also in the past...

BEN_BUCKI_Criccieth_CCE_97303_97304_20_08.21_12.JPG.54e527d9d7e016aba6cfcaa4e9d9e3a6.JPG

...whoops, this was today as well.  I wonder what the passengers who had to de-train from the excursion thought, stepping off onto that overgrown platform?  I appreciate it's been lockdown and reduced services, and that ERTMS means only 2-car trains run (even then, the leading carriage is on an overgrown bit), but this excursion is the first proper tour onto the line for over a year.  Would it have killed NR to send someone with a strimmer to just tidy up the platforms a bit in advance of passengers having to use it?

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Ben B said:

20210820_095918.jpg.0f125fe1521f408b37ca946189972f99.jpg

One from me, Barmouth, West Wales, in the dark, neglected past days of... er, today actually.  I know the railway cannot do a lot about the rubbish, as the gulls tend to empty the bins out onto the tracks, but it doesn't give too appealing an impression for the passengers on the two-hourly services, or the holidaymakers who have to pass over the level crossing here between car park/beach and the town, and look up towards weed and litter-strewn tracks.  For all the reduction in trains and train lengths caused by ERTMS, it's still a reasonably busy line, especially compared to its northern neighbour, the Conway Valley.

20210820_101607.jpg.daf3a04b1cde73e9dd5004ca1311230a.jpg

The track leading up to the station is pretty overgrown and sand-buried, though I appreciate with the beach not too far away (the other side of a large cap park and road) it might be tricky to stop this sort of thing.  A pass from the weedkiller train the other night seems to have been long overdue.

20210820_101934.jpg.50687699219f56dafe34057fc9f5562f.jpg

Apart from the polished rail heads, the the station at the northern end could pass for one abandoned.  Still, at least with ERTMS the days of long excursion trains stopping here, with passengers having to get on and off at this wilderness are also in the past...

BEN_BUCKI_Criccieth_CCE_97303_97304_20_08.21_12.JPG.54e527d9d7e016aba6cfcaa4e9d9e3a6.JPG

...whoops, this was today as well.  I wonder what the passengers who had to de-train from the excursion thought, stepping off onto that overgrown platform?  I appreciate it's been lockdown and reduced services, and that ERTMS means only 2-car trains run (even then, the leading carriage is on an overgrown bit), but this excursion is the first proper tour onto the line for over a year.  Would it have killed NR to send someone with a strimmer to just tidy up the platforms a bit in advance of passengers having to use it?

An interesting set of photos, but why pick on NR. The stations on this route are operated by Transport for Wales - couldn't they do a bit of tidying up of the station?

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, iands said:

An interesting set of photos, but why pick on NR. The stations on this route are operated by Transport for Wales - couldn't they do a bit of tidying up of the station?

Apologies- I was under the impression the infrastructure/groundskeeping side would be NR rather than TFW.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ben B said:

Apologies- I was under the impression the infrastructure/groundskeeping side would be NR rather than TFW.

The track and lineside yes, but the stations are usually leased* to the TOCs with certain responsibilities for maintenance and upkeep. 

* except for certain London termini and one or two other major stations which remain under the control of NR (was Railtrack originally from April 1994).

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well yes there's a few weeds on the disused down platform, but otherwise that's hardly decrepit.  It's probably better than Narberth, sometime in Spring '86.  Note the lack of signs or lighting away from the building itself; it would have been quite a step down from a DMU after dark.DSC00544.JPG.0b954d7f4abe543b15a4400f6dcfbc71.JPG

Edited by Northmoor
Photo added
  • Like 9