The most decrepit, derelict station photo challenge

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Ardwick, just outside Manchester Piccadilly on the Great Central was quite grotty around 1971/2.

1470960152_ArdwickClass08tripworkingJan72C0790.jpg.9f58fc38ecba1b93d4e596da764f0691.jpg

Ardwick Class 08 trip working Jan 72 C0790.jpg

181639274_ArdwickdmutoManchesterPiccadillyJan72C0791.jpg.d026ac24589b0f325d64701b65b8fdf5.jpg

Ardwick dmu to Manchester Piccadilly Jan 72 C0791.jpg

303803513_ArdwickClass104NewMillstoManchasterPiccadillyJanuqry1972C0783.jpg.a679ef9ef7672c9b8ae1a75de752e691.jpg

Ardwick Class 104 New Mills to Manchaster Piccadilly Januqry 1972 C0783.jpg

David

But it had Woodhead electrics, so, perfect in every way!!

Mike.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Bishop of Welchester said:

I don't have a photo, but I should have thought Birmingham Snow Hill in the 1970s would be a contender.

Beat me to it!! But I should think that Bordesley Station just down the line past Moor Street would fit the bill for a present day 'almost derelict but still in use (just!!)' Location!!

http://www.railaroundbirmingham.co.uk/Stations/bordesley.php

• Like 3

St Leonards West Marina just before closure was pretty grim.

We lived in one of the white railway houses overlooking the station.

Great for train spotting although wild in a south-westerly gale.

Sorry no pictures but several online.

edit  13/5/20

Found the photo Dad took in 1958 just before we moved here from Eastleigh.

The station was in a poor state.  The huge building in the background was Pickfords warehouse, originally was to have been the station hotel when West Marina was the LBSC terminus, but was never used as a hotel.

I remeber cirus trains arriving here and the whole lot, elephants and all, marching off the the circus ground and Glyne Gap

The timber yard burned down a few years later.

The area looks nothing like this now.

Photo: My copyright.

st leonards.jpg

Edited by 34101
imagw added
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Bedford St John’s old station, which gradually withered away until just a small tin shack was left standing amid acres of dereliction.

Full set of time-lapse photographs on ‘disused stations’ http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/bedford_st_johns/index34.shtml

I was about to post a picture of Bedford St Johns, but realised I'd already posted that picture on this forum before, and then I remembered Dorchester!

Until fairly recently I would have suggested Spalding, most rooms empty with notices saying the floors were unsafe and such like. The 'staff' toilet was one cubicle left over from the old Gents which, I suspect, had the old urinals still in place behind the boards covering them up.

It's had a major refurbishment including the provision of a lift to access platform 2. Unfortunately as I don't now work afternoons I don't get the time to have a look around.

Still very much a shadow of it's former self though.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, DaveF said:

Ardwick, just outside Manchester Piccadilly on the Great Central was quite grotty around 1971/2.

Always thought Ardwick looked pretty knackered when I used to go up to Manchester for work, and that was only a few years back.

• Agree 1

Some years ago, not long after I passed out as a guard I was on a Sunday Nottingham-Liverpool service. We ran into Manchester via Romiley rather than our normal route through Stockport.

Most unusually we were booked to stop at Ardwick for some reason. Neither I nor the driver could figure out why but if the job card says you're stopping you stop.

Opened the doors to the bare platform mostly covered in what seemed to be well kept grass. Felt like we'd stopped on somebody's front lawn!

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

The overall situation means it probably isn't close to the top - it'll never have the surrounding man-made desolation - but Ribblehead in the 90s, with the roof falling in, really did look lost and abandoned. And I imagine if you had to wait for a train there on a cold, dark, wintry night it would've been hard to imagine anything much more folorn. All in rather better nick nowadays thankfully.

• Like 1

Middleton station (near Oldham) was a grotty station just before closure in the 60's.

Middleton-Railway-Station.jpg

Not too far away Royton station wasn't much better.

royton(harden4.1955)old1.jpg

This didn't help either !!

royton(8.2.1961)old4.jpg

royton(8.2.1961)old3.jpg

Early DMU's were better built than brick sh1thouses !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Story here https://www.railcar.co.uk/topic/accidents/details/royton-1961

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
additional info added
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

I don't have any pictures to post, but Broad Street (London) would be in the top 10 - probably. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

On 04/05/2020 at 19:41, flapland said:

Wakefield Kirkgate has to be one of the worst but also most fascinating. No photos sadly.

It's been improved a bit in the last few years. Photos later if I can find them

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The original Great Victoria Street station in Belfast in 1976. Itself the direct target of the bombers plus collateral damage from the Europa Hotel next door made it a sorry sight compared to its original grand architecture.

https://images.app.goo.gl/NtjKXmbkemTkR7bi7

https://images.app.goo.gl/8hZ2o68H2vp1XXVc9

https://images.app.goo.gl/N6gpkLbnqS9hRvXLA

Edited by Colin_McLeod
Additional pictures