The most decrepit, derelict station photo challenge

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Zomboid said:

They're probably the same height, but the lack of track and ballast makes it seem that the other one is higher.

Ah, yes, lack of ballast and track is an obvious difference, duh!

Edited by Reorte

On 23/11/2021 at 13:52, montyburns56 said:

Milford Haven 1981 by Murray Liston

Prototype question, out of curiosity: does anyone know the purpose of the long concrete 'supports' behind the buffer stops in these pictures? They seem rather too 'beefy' for simply supporting the buffers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Don't forget the "ground rules" in @montyburns56's first post in this thread:

"So I just thought that we could have a photo competition to post pictures of the most filthiest, derelict looking stations that were still in use at the time that the photo was taken".

Stations which have become derelict after closure are cheating!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 06/12/2021 at 11:28, csiedmo said:

I'll try to dig out the photos that I took of Mytholmroyd station in 1989 for a school project. The place was terrifying and the makeshift underpass walkway to the Up platform seemed to be genuinely dangerous.

Not the station, but here's a snap of the signal box (taken on a dodgy 110 format camera) in 1986.  I seem to remember that the station wasn't much better.

DSC00622.JPG.2a550da301056077d670647153567ebd.JPG

Edited by Northmoor
  • Like 9

18 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Not the station, but here's a snap of the signal box (taken on a dodgy 110 format camera) in 1986.  I seem to remember that the station wasn't much better.

DSC00622.JPG.4745e54c01ac3abc81140b8a49fa7497.JPG

It was looking incredibly rough when I used the station to get to a job interview in about 2008.  Main building was a crumbling ruin, platforms pretty desolate and windswept.  I remember thinking it was going to be a dreadful place to commute to regularly, particularly in the winter, but as it happened I made a stuff of the interview.  I gather the station building was fairly recently high up on some sort of list of neglected but historically significant buildings considered to be at risk.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Ben B said:

It was looking incredibly rough when I used the station to get to a job interview in about 2008.  Main building was a crumbling ruin, platforms pretty desolate and windswept.  I remember thinking it was going to be a dreadful place to commute to regularly, particularly in the winter, but as it happened I made a stuff of the interview.  I gather the station building was fairly recently high up on some sort of list of neglected but historically significant buildings considered to be at risk.

The station building is being restored - I believe the exterior has now been done with the interior still to be finished;

https://paulbigland.blog/2021/09/03/the-friends-of-mytholmroyd-station-celebrate-once-more/

Andy

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...
20 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

I suspect your pictures are very close to closure ......... this was 13/9/81 when the building looked quite presentable : - 62_20.jpg.290ba39901579964a91a1e2cfb53deee.jpg

Great pictures! It's interesting that Kilmacolm still features the old regional station sign as I found this picture of Bridge Of Weir which shows the old one at that station just lying on the ground.

Passengers join at Bridge of Weir

• Like 6

3 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

which shows the old one at that station just lying on the ground.

I acquired a few signs in the late 70s and early 80s, because re-signing of smaller stations was in full swing then and often odd signs got missed at the end of each job, just left in the grass. One hefty and verbose cast iron one wasn’t even on BR property, it had somehow got dumped on a bit of wasteland where I guess the signage gang had parked their vans.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Tardy bunch then, because I walked past it for many days in a row before tidying it up. I refurbished and painted it, and hung it on the wall of my parent’s house, which caused lots of confusion, because people couldn’t work out how come the railway owned property that you weren’t allowed to go on in accordance with some obscure act of Parliament three miles from the nearest line.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

..... at least the sun had come out at Houston - so I didn't have a problem !

62_16.jpg.23be344d6e797f70a6c67b8dc7b5e5ac.jpg

all 13/9/81.

That's interesting as I noticed that it says on Wikipedia that the station was originally named Houston & Crosslee, although if you look on maps the station wasn't exactly close to Houston. And by a weird coincidence I was watching Bangers & Cash today and they mentioned that the Talbot Sunbeam was built at LInwood which is very close to the eastern end of the line.

Edited by montyburns56
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 15/05/2023 at 18:14, montyburns56 said:

Kilmacolm 1982/3

Kilmacolm Station 1982Kilmacolm107428140982105373 Kilmacolm

I went there shortly before closure and what remains most strongly in my memory was that there was a coal fire in the booking office. Not really decrepit at all, other than the other platform being without track.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I think that should be Redesmouth (in Northumberland) rather than Reedsmouth.

You can see where the junction was on Google Earth.

Image-1.jpeg.85b71b6ed0def3c3589482f0c5e534ff.jpeg

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2