A few of issues (help please)...

I have just ballasted my 009 layout. I have a couple of issues I need help on please.

i) My PVA (Flangeways Modellers Milk - Which is already mixed to the right consistency) has left a residue (see photo 1). How do i clean that up?

IMG_20200505_105518.jpg.2ebc200e486d4f2498af8bced7f1d54a.jpg

ii) One of my Seep Point Motors has had the pin fall out; How do I secure it back in it's hole safely?

iii) How would you cover these?

IMG_20200505_105606.jpg.84d337197cc7db7da76b2587f9ecdccb.jpg

5 hours ago, wollastonblue said:

I have just ballasted my 009 layout. I have a couple of issues I need help on please.

i) My PVA (Flangeways Modellers Milk - Which is already mixed to the right consistency) has left a residue (see photo 1). How do i clean that up?

IMG_20200505_105518.jpg.2ebc200e486d4f2498af8bced7f1d54a.jpg

*snip*

As far as I know, careful application of warm/hot water will re-soften the PVA allowing it to be removed, along with the ballast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If ISW's method doesn't work, I would suggest painting the white areas with a 'dirty black' matt paint, and while it is still wet, sprinkle ballast over the top of it, and allow to dry. 

If you don't like the ballast result, it should be easy enough to remove it because it is only lodged in the paint. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you for all your help. The residue issue has now been resolved, and I am quite pleased with the results of my ballasting. 

How would you cover the brass strip that is powering my two point motors?

47 minutes ago, wollastonblue said:

*snip*

How would you cover the brass strip that is powering my two point motors?

I'd change the strip to a brass wire so that it can be placed inside a plastic tube.

I'd cover it with thin sheet metal or possibly plastic or card and then add ballast or other scenery over the top, leaving clearance for the mechanism to operate. It shouldn't be fixed too securely as that invites failure (if things can go wrong, they will and in/at the most inconvenient place/time).

Edited by Il Grifone